Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
My wife found a job a few weeks after she applied for unemployment insurance benefits.
You're not at all good at this game you're trying to play. As the previous poster pointed out, your wife posted just yesterday about her unemployment benefits.

Maybe you don't realize that your posts are right there for anyone to see without checking every thread on every forum. If you plan on continuing these trollish tales you should either go back to the drawing board and formulate a more iron clad plan or confine your threads to the truth.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
So many posters are saying that there are no jobs out there. Maybe in Petticoat Junction Arkansas, but in fact there are millions of Americans being hired into new jobs every year even since the economic crisis.

Has anyone looked at the Department of Labor Website? Even in this tough economy there are millions of people changing jobs every year. Why don't people realize this?
Where are the links to back up your claims? If each month's job creation amounts to 200,000 new jobs then there are only 2.4 million new jobs a year. I wouldn't exactly say that equates to "millions of Americans being hired into new jobs every year" and certainly isn't putting everyone back to work that wants a job.

Just yesterday your wife claimed she needed extra income to supplement UI benefits...now you're trying to tell us she found a new job already? I don't buy it and apparently others in the thread don't either.

I think your wife needs to separate herself from your screen name on this site. It's okay, she can signup with her own; really!

Old 01-10-2012, 08:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I don't buy it and apparently others in the thread don't either.
All too reminiscent of "Weekend Traveler" who you probably remember ...

Old 01-10-2012, 10:20 AM

40 posts, read 142,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
You posted about your "wife" yesterday.

Your last post in that thread says you just researched that topic after you posted about it yesterday. So if this happened awhile ago, she must have already committed the fraud you asked about on her behalf. If your wife's story is written 100% accurately... She was desperate for money and willing to milk the UI system... so that puts your own "income" in doubt as well.

If you now claim that your stories are creatively modified and not 100% accurate, then that takes away your credibility.
lol, owned.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,179,531 times
They cancel each other out.

1.3m people have lost their jobs in the recession, finds report

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/j...ds-report.html

Even with the recent gains, the economy isn't anywhere close to replacing the jobs lost in the recession. Employers began shedding workers in February 2008 and cut nearly 8.7 million jobs for the next 25 months. Since then, the economy has regained nearly 2.5 million of those jobs.

Bottom Line - Employment growth picked up speed in November; jobless rate fell to 8.6 percent (http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/02/9164231-employment-growth-picked-up-speed-in-november-jobless-rate-fell-to-86-percent - broken link)

Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
You posted about your "wife" yesterday.

Your last post in that thread says you just researched that topic after you posted about it yesterday. So if this happened awhile ago, she must have already committed the fraud you asked about on her behalf. If your wife's story is written 100% accurately... She was desperate for money and willing to milk the UI system... so that puts your own "income" in doubt as well.

If you now claim that your stories are creatively modified and not 100% accurate, then that takes away your credibility.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:04 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
If each month's job creation amounts to 200,000 new jobs then ...
I read somewhere that the replacement rate for job creation is somewhere North of 300k jobs.

That would mean that any month that 200k jobs are created, the job situation is getting worse.

100k jobs, gets pols so worked up that they hold a press conference.

The unemployment rate is going down because the labor force participation rate is dropping.

I just read in yesterday's Wall Street Journal, an article on Long-Term unemployment.
The data is so skewed relative to other "recoveries" that I cannot buy the "good news" we are getting.
This "recession" is 3x worse than the early 80's recession which was ruinous for many people.

For much/many/most(?) - even if you find a job in the next state or city, you can't move because of your underwater house.

It's not a recession, it's a depression. There is no recovery. If there really was,
the Fed would have interest rates way higher than they are now. Retirees who have
saved adequate amounts of money to retire, are getting something between
diddly and squat on their savings and are having to go into principle to survive.

It's not a recession, it's a depression. There is no recovery.

Even during the Great Depression of the 1930's there were millions of people who
got hired for something at some point. These kinds of numbers are meaningless.

When regular people are getting signing bonuses and fast food joints are offering
way above min wage for their hard-to-fill positions, then we'll know we are out.
When grandma can afford to live off her $300k CD & SS, then we'll know we are out.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,163 times
I personally would like to know what sorts of jobs are available where one could actually support his or herself and possibly a family.

I always here people say jobs are available. Okay then, great....where are they? If one says nursing, then I know good and well they are full of it. Everyone and there brother are getting their nursing degree.

I personally would like to see more posts written about jobs that are ACTUALLY available and not by someone who is trying to demonize the unemployed. Take for example, a post written about obtaining a nicet certification. That was a good post and I am sure it will help some unemployed person with good math and trade skills.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:11 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I personally would like to know what sorts of jobs are available where one could actually support his or herself and possibly a family.

I always here people say jobs are available. Okay then, great....where are they? If one says nursing, then I know good and well they are full of it. Everyone and there brother are getting their nursing degree.

I personally would like to see more posts written about jobs that are ACTUALLY available and not by someone who is trying to demonize the unemployed. Take for example, a post written about obtaining a nicet certification. That was a good post and I am sure it will help some unemployed person with good math and trade skills.
Nicet4 and I have had some back and forth conversations regarding that certification. It is something that someone with the time can strive for but not everyone who is looking for a job can leave home for 2 years for the studies as most of us have families and homes to take care of. I am trying to lean my son into this while he is still in high school planning his future.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:11 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I personally would like to see more posts written
about jobs that are ACTUALLY available ....
There are lots in the software industry.

All you have to do is have 10+ years of experience in the 2t87UZQ language. You could have 20+
years of fortran or C++, but would be considered untrainable in something that's 90% the same.

You can be a proven hardware engineer who was laid off, took a number of courses in java, C#,
etc. but forget it. There are not jobs with qualifications such as "must have taken a class in ... "

My sister's a nurse making a bunch of money, but if she ever gets laid off, she says finding
another job would be extremely difficult because of the "wish list" job ads that are out there.

Employers want their perfect candidate or nothing.

The idea of taking a couple of weeks or months getting up to speed has pretty
much fallen by the wayside. We are making it worse in this country by making
it harder to fire people. The flip side is that it is undesireable to hire someone.
Europe was like this decades ago. All through the 90's when American
unemployment was plunging under 5%, Europe was stuck in the 10%+ range.

Unemployment benefits, maternity/paternity leave, etc have no value to me.
I suspect for most of the unemployed such things also have no value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment