Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:16 AM

511 posts, read 2,454,412 times

Advertisements

So many posters are saying that there are no jobs out there. Maybe in Petticoat Junction Arkansas, but in fact there are millions of Americans being hired into new jobs every year even since the economic crisis.

Has anyone looked at the Department of Labor Website? Even in this tough economy there are millions of people changing jobs every year. Why don't people realize this?

Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 AM

379 posts, read 1,402,361 times
Millions might have been hired but what kind of positions were they hired for, low paying wage slave jobs?

McDonald's and Walmart can hire one million people starting at the bottom. Numbers aside, the one million people hired are working low quality and low paying jobs.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:20 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,538,353 times
I was hired in 2011 for a high wage. It's not all low wage jobs.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:42 AM

15,885 posts, read 21,499,526 times
I was hired in 2010 for a decent entry level first job - but I am enough with the world to realize that I was lucky. I'm one of the only ones of my friends that got a job that offered benefits after we graduated from college in 2010. A year and a half out, most are still working contract or no-benefit jobs - and yes, quite a few at Starbucks (many with the so called "marketable" degrees).

Old 01-10-2012, 05:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,714 posts, read 81,563,799 times
There are many good paying jobs available, I have hired several new people at $40k+ over the last year. Unfortunately, there are far more applicants. Not enough jobs to go around. When you get 85 applying for every job that means 84 will have to keep looking.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:09 AM

MOST jobs, regardless of the economy are low wage positions. Look at the Telephone Yellow Pages, it is full of companies that provide services to the community. The fastest growing jobs are in health care but look in a hospital, there are ten grunts for every doctor. Truck driver and janitor are fast growing job classifications in America. There are millions of jobs in retail and food service. Most American's do not have a career they are trained for, they have a job they do for modest wages. It was the same 15 years ago during the boom in the late 1990s.

Yes, there is competition for open jobs, but isn't that the way it should be. I remember when I was a recruiter in the 1990s when the job market was on fire. The situation was terrible for companies and managers. There were so many jobs that applicants and employees were cocky. They only needed to have a pulse to get a job and if they did not like every minute of the day at work they would move quickly to the next employer. Back then it was impossible to get motivated workers because the employee had too much power. Why do you think that big business keeps pushing for more immigrants? They want to keep the job market competitive with lots of foreign competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
Millions might have been hired but what kind of positions were they hired for, low paying wage slave jobs?

McDonald's and Walmart can hire one million people starting at the bottom. Numbers aside, the one million people hired are working low quality and low paying jobs.

Last edited by Workaholic?; 01-10-2012 at 06:39 AM..

Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 AM

398 posts, read 1,366,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
So many posters are saying that there are no jobs out there. Maybe in Petticoat Junction Arkansas, but in fact there are millions of Americans being hired into new jobs every year even since the economic crisis.

Has anyone looked at the Department of Labor Website? Even in this tough economy there are millions of people changing jobs every year. Why don't people realize this?
Does this mean you will be reporting your unemployed wife to the Dept of Labor?
Why does she desperately need that extra $150 cash when you, her husband, must have a good paying job and millions of other jobs available to you whenever you want them?

On unemployment: Is a cash gratuity the same as income?

And while you are reporting your wife to the Dept. of Labor, tell them about your deadbeat cousin too.

Relative milked her 99 weeks of unemployment benefits!

Quote:
From workaholic's wife:

Well I am officially on unemployment now and it was too easy to apply and submit my first claim for benefits. It took me about 10 minutes to apply and two minutes to do my first on line claim. Here is my question:

Now that I am on jobless benefits I need additional income to survive. I went on Craigslist and applied to participate in a couple of market research studies where I will be part of a focus group discussing consumer products. In the first study this week, I will be paid $150 in CASH to talk about health insurance, and the second study next week I will be paid $125 to talk about financial planning. In both cases I will be paid a CASH gratuity. I will be have taxes taken out or be given a 1099. They know who I am but are not reporting anything to the government.

How should this CASH gratuity payments impact my VA unemployment claim?

Quote:
DOES UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE PAY A LITTLE TOO WELL?

In some States unemployment benefits pay quite well. (In others, like Arizona- not so well)

My cousin making about $50K as an Office Manager for a high technology company in Seattle and was actively involved in the rat race. Long hours, lots of office politics, impossible demands, lots of stress. Well her job was eliminated in the recession and she was laid off. First she panicked but after applying for Washington State Unemployment and discovering she would make $560 a week in benefits, she smiled.

This was a perfect opportunity for her to move back to Spokane where life is less stressful and she could rent a brand new apartment for $800 a month. She moved in with her sister and only had to pay $400 for her half. She did some odd jobs for cash income (off the books) and took a part time job at the Barnes and Noble Book Store two days a week.

After carefully looking at her budget she determined that she had more disposable income in low cost Spokane on unemployment benefits than she had in Seattle working.

Because she had some income this allowed her to draw the traditional 26 weeks of benefits for almost a year. Then she got a number of Federal and State Extensions and two years after her job loss she is working part time and has a higher standard of living in Spokane as a part time book store worker than she did in high priced high stress Seattle.

Well the gravy train is ending as her benefits are about to end in 2012. But after going through a halfXXX job search for two years she has finally found another Office Manager job in Spokane, and she will start a just a week before her last unemployment benefit check. Funny how that worked out!

My cousin has never looked better and is so relaxed. All from milking the unemployment benefits for every dollar possible and moving to a low cost community.

Will the liberals in Congress admit many of the long term unemployed collecting jobless benefits are just like my Cousin?

Was she genius or a thief?

Last edited by raymond2; 01-10-2012 at 06:30 AM..

Old 01-10-2012, 06:42 AM

My wife found a job a few weeks after she applied for unemployment insurance benefits. My cousin who collected benefits for 99 weeks is a slacker who milked the system. She WAS an administrative assistant, a job classification that is flooded with open positions but she did not try to find a job, that is what I was angry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
Does this mean you will be reporting your unemployed wife to the Dept of Labor?
Why does she desperately need that extra $150 cash when you, her husband, must have a good paying job and millions of other jobs available to you whenever you want them?

On unemployment: Is a cash gratuity the same as income?

And while you are reporting your wife to the Dept. of Labor, tell them about your deadbeat cousin too.

Relative milked her 99 weeks of unemployment benefits!

Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 AM

398 posts, read 1,366,947 times
Quote:
My wife found a job a few weeks after she applied for unemployment insurance benefits. My cousin who collected benefits for 99 weeks is a slacker who milked the system. She WAS an administrative assistant, a job classification that is flooded with open positions but she did not try to find a job, that is what I was angry about.
You posted about your "wife" yesterday.

Your last post in that thread says you just researched that topic after you posted about it yesterday. So if this happened awhile ago, she must have already committed the fraud you asked about on her behalf. If your wife's story is written 100% accurately... She was desperate for money and willing to milk the UI system... so that puts your own "income" in doubt as well.
Quote:
...Now that I am on jobless benefits I need additional income to survive.
...They know who I am but are not reporting anything to the government.
If you now claim that your stories are creatively modified and not 100% accurate, then that takes away your credibility.

Last edited by raymond2; 01-10-2012 at 07:28 AM..

Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,175,340 times
Why do you have so many threads about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment