Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Engineering: Are you employed, unemployed or underemployed?
Employed 25 55.56%
Unemployed 8 17.78%
Underemployed 12 26.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:25 PM

22 posts, read 99,015 times

Advertisements

I graduated with B.S. EE last May 2011 and unemployed in engineering field. However, I'm currently underemployed in IT for 5 years now... It seems like I'm the only one who is currently unemployed/underemployed with my skills. Looking for engineering work right now.. Am I the only one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 12:29 AM

723 posts, read 2,193,842 times
D. Need more info

You only say you've graduated. Lots of people graduate. What else did you/can you do?

Old 01-14-2012, 09:25 AM

182 posts, read 612,624 times
I am an engineer graduate from a top public university in may 2011. I was unemployed for 7 months and I just got a job offer. Don't give up. Persistence is key

Old 01-14-2012, 10:10 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Where are you located? You are chronically underemployed, but you may be somewhere where the industry mix isn't really the best for people in your field. You'll have to go where the jobs are.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:36 AM

650 posts, read 1,812,334 times
It's tough out there buddy. Not only are engineering jobs scarce, but you have a lot of competition with people who have a degree and experience. Not to say you should quit, but just keep looking. Took me around 2-3 months to find a job with 5 years experience in the field.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:53 AM

22 posts, read 99,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
D. Need more info

You only say you've graduated. Lots of people graduate. What else did you/can you do?
i've done several research (with a professor) and internship projects. i actually just finished my internship. however, i didn't get an offer for permanent position because no position open that fits my profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Where are you located? You are chronically underemployed, but you may be somewhere where the industry mix isn't really the best for people in your field. You'll have to go where the jobs are.
i'm in the west coast area, and i'm willing to relocate anywhere.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekwuz View Post
i've done several research (with a professor) and internship projects. i actually just finished my internship. however, i didn't get an offer for permanent position because no position open that fits my profile.

Yeah, I'd go to the South, whether we're talking Texas, Alabama, Georgia, or North Carolina.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:36 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,380,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekwuz View Post

Have you checked the BOEING website?? They have entry level electrical engineer jobs and they are hiring due to some big contracts and having recently won the Air Force tanker project. The majority of the jobs are in the Seattle area -- but some are in a few other locations -- St. Louis, Philadelphia, Charleston SC, southern California and Houston TX. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:32 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,404 times
I know an acquaintance of mine was unemployed for 2 years and he had a EE degree from Harvard/Yale/Princeton and a PhD from MIT/Stanford/Berkeley. To be fair though, he didn't work in Electrical Engineering but in a different field and was trying to switch careers but it shows you how hard it is to land a job even with sterling credentials. In case you are wondering, this acquaintance of mine lives in the SF Bay Area, a supposed hotspot for engineering jobs.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Career switchers are a whole other ball of wax...

Given that industry has very little use for doctorate degree holders and all academic institutions are incredibly reluctant to add faculty that includes folks that change careers it does not surprise me that your acquaintance was unemployed for 2 years.

The surest path to employment from a top flight undergraduate institution is via their efforts to line up on campus recuiters. When I think Harvard/Yale/Princeton I know the best on campus jobs for those schools go to finance / economics grads. While I know there are engineering grads from Harvard (Tracks (http://www.seas.harvard.edu/teaching-learning/undergraduate/engineering-sciences/tracks - broken link)) I also know there are much more industry focused schools... Yale goes so far to suggest a BA in EEfrom their institution is really just a starting point for more academic work in medicine, law or public service: Electrical Engineering | Yale School of Engineering & Applied Science | New Haven CT (http://www.seas.yale.edu/departments-electrical-undergraduate.php - broken link) Princeton has a longer history of contribution to the field, but again for those really attuned to an industry focused career I doubt this is the best place: About Us -*The Department of Electrical Engineering

When people think "electrical engineering dream career path" it generally includes a list heavy on public institutions: Electrical / Electronic / Communications | Rankings | US News Even then, if one is hoping to work for Intel or or some other hard to imagine job the specifics of where one did their internship and what sort of work experience you may have done in the summers are going to be the make or break. Essentially the focused intensity that top employers are looking for is matched by an intensity that makes job changers an impossible quest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I know an acquaintance of mine was unemployed for 2 years and he had a EE degree from Harvard/Yale/Princeton and a PhD from MIT/Stanford/Berkeley. To be fair though, he didn't work in Electrical Engineering but in a different field and was trying to switch careers but it shows you how hard it is to land a job even with sterling credentials. In case you are wondering, this acquaintance of mine lives in the SF Bay Area, a supposed hotspot for engineering jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment