Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 04:19 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,151 times

Advertisements

Back when I was a full time HR Manager, I was always shocked how many people accepted a job without ever meeting their coworkers or seeing their future work environment. They never asked if they would have their own office, or would share an office with others, or would have a cubical.

The interviews were all done in the conference room next to the receptionist so the potential new hires never saw the area where they would actually work.

This was during the economic boom when jobs were plentiful. It seemed strange to me that people did not seem curious where they would be working. Some people would accept a job without even visiting the building they would work in becuase the interviews were done at the corporate office. To me your working environment is the key to your success.

What do you think about this? Would you ask to see your actual work environment before accepting a new job? Would you rather share an 12 by 12 office with someone, or have a cubical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 05:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Asking to see the office during the interview is like talking salary before an offer. Most interviewers do show me the office and introduce me to coworkers. If they don't, I wait to discuss that stuff after I get an offer, just like I wait to talk about money.

Getting them to allow you to meet your coworkers and see the office is a lot easier than getting them to provide details about the health insurance benefits options. It's an important consideration. Policies aren't created equal. You need to know if it's crap insurance with high employee premium contributions because it's relevant to the salary negotiation. Sometimes it's relevant to accepting the job all together.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:56 AM

78 posts, read 376,945 times
after going on a dozen interviews, i noticed this depends on who is doing the actual interviewing. Most of the time, all of my interviews was a 1 one 1 with a clueless HR rep that was done in a conference room. Then i had interviews where the actual manager/boss was doing the actual interview in his office with the HR rep on the side and at the end, his always ask if i want to tour the building

Old 01-21-2012, 06:18 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
These days folks want the job, and few focus on environment. For the last several jobs I applied for, I had no clue where my office was, or what it looked like. Or even who my boss was, which is very important.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:38 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,151 times
Default I want to be comfortable where I work!

I moved from Human Resources to Training in 2008 so most of my hiring and recruiting stories were during the economic boom years where jobs were relatively plentiful. I agree today that if you are unemployed or in a terrible job exactly where your cubical is is not as important as just getting a paycheck again so you can pay your rent.

But after the job offer is given, or you are a finalist for a good job, I see nothing wrong with asking for a tour of the office and seeing exactly where you will work.

One time, when I was more naive, I was already to sign on the dotted line and accept a job but at the last minute I asked where I was going to sit and asked for a formal tour of the office. Originally the manager told me my request was silly and turn me down. He said, "offices are offices- what is the difference?" After I pushed it I found out I would be sharing an office with two twenty something girls 9I was forty seven at the time and would be an outsider) I would be dragged into their drama. (I found this out when I asked to meet my coworkers on a one on one basis). I turned the job down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
These days folks want the job, and few focus on environment. For the last several jobs I applied for, I had no clue where my office was, or what it looked like. Or even who my boss was, which is very important.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:15 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Never asked or cared. As long as they didn't stick me in the boiler room it would not have mattered.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,584 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I will always take the front-runner around for a quick tour, not introduce to the co-workers but pass by them. If it's really close between 2, I might show them both the work area. Sometimes their reaction helps decide but I want them to see how nice it is so that if chosen, they are more likely to accept.
I wouldn't want to hire someone without them having all the information they need to make a decision, for me that's as important as knowing as much as I can about them.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:38 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
This has never been an issue for me as I always wanted out of the place I was currently at bad enough to take almost anything. OSHA protects workplace environment to a point so you are almost always guaranteed a comfortable work environment at least for the jobs I would apply to. At my last office job however, I had not even toured the office I would be working in but I needed a job so almost anything was acceptable for that paycheck. The job before that I was offered a tour of the office and even my work station and I got to meet some of those I would be working closely with. Lord, I miss that place!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post

What do you think about this? Would you ask to see your actual work environment before accepting a new job? Would you rather share an 12 by 12 office with someone, or have a cubical?
I was right out of college so I didn't think I was in any position to be asking this question. I was glad to be finally making some money. Anyway, as it turned out, it was a 'double' cubicle that all the new people started in.

[12 years later I have a cubicle with a window so I guess it worked out all right...]

Old 01-21-2012, 06:58 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Back when I was a full time HR Manager, I was always shocked how many people accepted a job without ever meeting their coworkers or seeing their future work environment. They never asked if they would have their own office, or would share an office with others, or would have a cubical.

The interviews were all done in the conference room next to the receptionist so the potential new hires never saw the area where they would actually work.

This was during the economic boom when jobs were plentiful. It seemed strange to me that people did not seem curious where they would be working. Some people would accept a job without even visiting the building they would work in becuase the interviews were done at the corporate office. To me your working environment is the key to your success.

Why didn't you just show it to them if it was so shocking to you? You are complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment