Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:44 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,203,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Also add in all the men and women coming back from the Middle East now that Obama has decided to pull the troops out.
There is a proposed reduction in size of the military but it hasn't happened yet, are you under the impression than when military personnel are brought back from overseas they are immediately kicked out to look for civilian work?

It wouldn't surprise if having a bunch of consumers back at bases in the U.S. actually brings more jobs to local economies.

Quote:
Any way you slice it, there are too many people looking for too few jobs.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
I'm starting to believe that there aren't alot of high paying jobs out there anymore, its obvious what technology has done to the few that did exist, and it's been like this for at least a couple decades. More and more people are going to college, mostly by putting themselves into serious debt. Many high paying jobs appear to be over saturated if I'm reading the right stuff on the internet. With that in mind, companies get to lowball the wages and benefits since they think just about anyone will work for them.

So, is this the reality the media doesn't want you to know? Because a high number of jobs added without describing what they are sounds generic. Maybe we need to find other higher paying jobs that aren't in areas being over saturated right now? I'm talking beyond 40k minimum.

As with anything it depends-- in my sector and job skills-- I am seeing A LOT more opportunity than I had for a couple years. I knew people getting jobs in my area (I was not looking) but it was taking some time, but I am having recruiters contact me and colleagues almost weekly now.

I don't consider any of the below jobs to be entry level and they are not generalized office functions and definitely not something most people can just "jump into" without some sort of experience.

Most of my direct professional network works in the following areas:

Business Systems Analysis
Business Process Analysis
Product Management
Project Management (IT)
Benefits Administration
Systems Analysis
Program Management
Controllers

Most of the folks in these areas are making anywhere from 70-130k.

I know several who were laid off from a killed project-- most people have multiple interviews in a week-- one just received a relocation package with a 93k salary to the Southeast (he wanted to leave the Northeast).

I should add due to the power of networking a former colleague went to a panel interview at a friend's company and walked out with a job offer. I was shocked even with networking that he got an offer that fast. BEYOND shocked, but our mutual friend had put in strong words for him to HR and the hiring manager, detailed his strengths and even his weaknesses. After the panel interview they really wanted him.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:55 PM

Same same, our company has trouble attracting and keeping good software developers, far too much poaching going on. These are 90k+ type jobs in an area of the country that doesn't have a very high cost of living.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:13 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Same same, our company has trouble attracting and keeping good software developers, far too much poaching going on. These are 90k+ type jobs in an area of the country that doesn't have a very high cost of living.

I have to say that the majority of folks I have seen complaining about lack of IT jobs are those doing low level desktop support or low level network support.

I don't know any unemployed software engineers, DBAs or architects.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:31 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,773,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
15K in debt, try closer to 100K in debt. College (and post grad) students have a very cavalier attitude about money and debt.. They are encouraged to borrow as much as possible for things unrelated to the cost of education -- Designer Clothes, top of the line Macbook Pros, Vacations every winter/summer etc., ALOT different than even 10-15 years ago but then again 'mom & dad' arent' any better either.

That WAS what was pushed on people who graduated HS in the boom years (00-07). Seems not to be the case anymore. Cant speak for everyone, but I was definitely pushed into a crappy $30,000 a year college by my Mom.

Thankfully I had my own thoughts on the matter and ended up going to state college (which is a better school academically) and graduated with only (only?) $24,000 of debt from my time there.

My two cents is that parents need to stay out of the college decision completely unless they are footing the bill. Prospective college students are adults, and if they are smart enough to go to college, they should be able to figure out where they want to go and the financial ramifications of these decisions.

I do understand how people get into such huge debts though. At the time my class was entering college, people were graduating from mediocre colleges with degrees in basket weaving and getting $60,000 jobs. I know a ton of people with huge amounts of college debt and it really is a shame

Old 02-07-2012, 06:10 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You could eat and have a roof over your head. Will it be nice? Nope. If you want nicer than get the skills needed to make more.
We have people with college educations working at Wal-Mart. On that wage, they do not support themselves but, we the people supplement their wages with Medicaid, low-cost housing and food stamps which continue to drain the limited resources we have.

Items at Wal-Mart that were $1.00 last year are at least $1.25 this year and wages have not went up there yet we pay more, got no raises if we are employed and pay more in taxes to supplement the wages paid by Wal-Mart and others like them.

It is makes no sense at all to suggest that everyone go out and get an "education" because we have a wealth of educated people not working nor paying back their student loans, yet another burden.

They are playing with the numbers trying to delude people into believing that things are improving because it is an election year. Anyone saw that clip on that Slab City out in Sacramento, CA? I suspect more like that as time goes on and Obama continues to try to destroy our country to be the world leader - what a joke! World leader? It turns my stomach every time I hear that. We have had so many impressive presidents and he sure is not one of them!

Old 02-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Items at Wal-Mart that were $1.00 last year are at least $1.25 this year and wages have not went up
I've not seen any reports of 25% inflation, and certainly haven't experienced it in my own household budget.

Quote:
They are playing with the numbers trying to delude people into believing that things are improving because it is an election year.
Who is? Are you saying the same fed departments (BLS, Commerce) with thousands of mostly the same fed workers who have been producing these statistics thru multiple presidents have received some secret memo to start manipulating data this year to help Obama's election chances and not tell anyone?

Come on that doesn't pass the sniff test.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:07 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,525,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We have people with college educations working at Wal-Mart. On that wage, they do not support themselves but, we the people supplement their wages with Medicaid, low-cost housing and food stamps which continue to drain the limited resources we have.

Items at Wal-Mart that were $1.00 last year are at least $1.25 this year and wages have not went up there yet we pay more, got no raises if we are employed and pay more in taxes to supplement the wages paid by Wal-Mart and others like them.

It is makes no sense at all to suggest that everyone go out and get an "education" because we have a wealth of educated people not working nor paying back their student loans, yet another burden.

They are playing with the numbers trying to delude people into believing that things are improving because it is an election year. Anyone saw that clip on that Slab City out in Sacramento, CA? I suspect more like that as time goes on and Obama continues to try to destroy our country to be the world leader - what a joke! World leader? It turns my stomach every time I hear that. We have had so many impressive presidents and he sure is not one of them!
Your post is void of any facts or data and does nothing to address my post you responded to.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,498,705 times
Job openings jump in December to nearly match 3-year high; hiring, quits decline...

Job openings jump to near a 3-year high - Yahoo! Finance

Last edited by jacobwilliam77; 02-07-2012 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment