Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,447 times

Advertisements

I get a few calls/emails here and there for jobs in my area. I have been in my current position for about a year and a half, I like my job, but it is getting very routine and honestly a little boring. I have however, learned a great deal and I think I can learn more.

On the personal side, we are trying to start a family this year. My partner works a restaurant job which has flexible hours and we are not dependent on that income, we are using it to pay down our debt load quicker.

I am wondering if this would be a wrong time to make a move. I would only make the move if it will be a 20-25% raise, which is doable, had domestic partner coverage since we're not married and would allow me the flexibility to go to my brother's wedding in October. I realize that health insurance benefits might not kick in for 90 days or so, so that is part of my consideration. I know it is a personal choice, but have a missed something? If I do take the job, my maternity leave won't be for at least a year and a few months after starting.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 02:46 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Sure, if you feel you have more to offer than your present employer wants/needs/can promote you for, go ahead and explore overtures made to you.....

Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 PM

Thanks squirl. Im just concerened that with the life changes up ahead i should hold out, but im not sure...

Old 02-17-2012, 07:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Well I do think that expecting a 25% salary increase is a little high. Of course you know your industry better than the rest of us, but most employers won't offer that much more than what you are currently making.

Other things you may not be considering are:

--you may not land a new job right away. You say that you won't need maternity leave for 12 mos+. But what if it takes you 6 mos to find a new job and they have a 3 month probationary period? In this job market, a 6-month job search is entirely realistic. This may be a non-issue so long as you are prepared for the possibility that you may end your job search by declining an offer and staying where you are if the timing would limit your personal options.

--your job stability. 1 1/2 years isn't so long at a job, but it gives you a foothold at your current job. What if you accept a future job and then they have to downsize. Last in is usually first out. Of course, you don't know what the future holds at your current job either. But it is something to keep in mind.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:04 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I get a few calls/emails here and there for jobs in my area. I have been in my current position for about a year and a half, I like my job, but it is getting very routine and honestly a little boring. I have however, learned a great deal and I think I can learn more.

On the personal side, we are trying to start a family this year. My partner works a restaurant job which has flexible hours and we are not dependent on that income, we are using it to pay down our debt load quicker.

I am wondering if this would be a wrong time to make a move. I would only make the move if it will be a 20-25% raise, which is doable, had domestic partner coverage since we're not married and would allow me the flexibility to go to my brother's wedding in October. I realize that health insurance benefits might not kick in for 90 days or so, so that is part of my consideration. I know it is a personal choice, but have a missed something? If I do take the job, my maternity leave won't be for at least a year and a few months after starting.

Thanks.
I think the baby thing is the consideration. You don't want to get stuck with having a baby and no health insurance. Will the insurance say the labor is a pre-existing condition if you got pregnant during the probation period? Sorry for the dumb/offensive question, don't know much about the details of that.
Also the risk of getting laid off right away while you are trying to have a kid or already pregnant.
Other than that changes to your career will always be more risky with a family so it sounds like it will be riskier for here on in, so its as good a time as any.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:11 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Well I do think that expecting a 25% salary increase is a little high. Of course you know your industry better than the rest of us, but most employers won't offer that much more than what you are currently making.

Other things you may not be considering are:

--you may not land a new job right away. You say that you won't need maternity leave for 12 mos+. But what if it takes you 6 mos to find a new job and they have a 3 month probationary period? In this job market, a 6-month job search is entirely realistic. This may be a non-issue so long as you are prepared for the possibility that you may end your job search by declining an offer and staying where you are if the timing would limit your personal options.

--your job stability. 1 1/2 years isn't so long at a job, but it gives you a foothold at your current job. What if you accept a future job and then they have to downsize. Last in is usually first out. Of course, you don't know what the future holds at your current job either. But it is something to keep in mind.
good points--will show this to dd as she is considering a job change

Old 02-19-2012, 03:49 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
I would stay put and be persistent with your current employer about learning more job duties and demonstrating that you want to grow with the company, this will increase your value to the company

Old 02-19-2012, 04:51 PM

56 posts, read 163,163 times
I'll tell you, I'm in about the same position as you. I just took a job that involves over 30% higher pay (I was making about $40,000, and I'm only about 2 years out of college.

I'll let you know if it was a good decision in a few months

But I work in IT, and jobs are alot easier to come by than other industries. I put my resume out to one recruiter, 6 days later I had an offer.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:46 AM

Thanks everyone. I just graduated with a Master's and the positions I'm looking at would entail a 25% raise...that is really consideration #1...if I don't get at least 20%, I'm not doing it. The reason I'm considering a switch is for the extra $$$ that would be coming in every month. Once the baby is born it would give us more options in terms of childcare, and until the baby is born the $$ money would be used to pay off the remaining balances on some credit cards we have and save for the baby.

However, the money isn't everything. I live very close to my job now, have a year and half tenure here, good health insurance and a flexible boss. Money all this is worth more than the $$$.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:49 AM

*I meant maybe not money in the last sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment