Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:04 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times

Advertisements

What rarely gets talked about is that it's possible there is no job out there that you would love. There might be a job where you like the work and love the work schedule/time off/benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 09:17 AM

41 posts, read 65,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's an excellent time to pursue your ideas. There might be resources available for you via your state. My state has careerlinks. It provides unemployed people with funding for education or starting a business. Maybe there is something like that in your state. Also look into nonprofits and government agencies that provide information and support for starting a small business. There are resources and finding out there.

We are currently helping our son strike out into an unconventional career that is truly something he enjoys. We funded his move to a different state a few months ago. We have no idea where this will lead but we firmly believed that he should try it when he's young so he never has regrets. There were other personal factors that made it an attractive choice. I can't provide more details because it's a small industry. All I can say is that he is having a blast!
Good for you and your son. I wasted so much time working in a corporate slime hole with slobs and other slime getting nowhere.
I found Law Enforcement - serving is where I want to be and pursuing it.
I just wish I knew sooner.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:49 PM

59 posts, read 199,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's an excellent time to pursue your ideas. There might be resources available for you via your state. My state has careerlinks. It provides unemployed people with funding for education or starting a business. Maybe there is something like that in your state. Also look into nonprofits and government agencies that provide information and support for starting a small business. There are resources and finding out there.

We are currently helping our son strike out into an unconventional career that is truly something he enjoys. We funded his move to a different state a few months ago. We have no idea where this will lead but we firmly believed that he should try it when he's young so he never has regrets. There were other personal factors that made it an attractive choice. I can't provide more details because it's a small industry. All I can say is that he is having a blast!
Nice! Thanks for the info and encouragement. It's so cool to see you helping your son instead of other parents who pressure their children to be "safe"

Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I'm one of those who loved my career of 42 years. I'm very left-brained -- analytical, logical, introverted, love of math -- and my job as a division order analyst for oil/gas companies suited my talents/needs perfectly.

In the 1980's, when oil/gas tanked and I was laid off, I started my own business cleaning foreclosed-on-houses. (I went to different realtors and offered to clean their vacant houses for a dirt-cheap rate. Once they saw what a good job I did and how hard/long I worked, I had more work than I could handle and was able to raise my rates accordingly.) Once again, that job suited my talents/needs and, as hard and dirty as the work was, I loved it. The routine and the solitude were perfect for me. When oil/gas jobs opened up again a couple of years later, I almost stayed with the house-cleaning -- but, in the end, I went back to analysis work (which I loved equally as much) because of the benefits.

If I'd had a job in a field requiring me to use the right side of my brain a lot -- creativity and being extroverted -- I'd have been miserable. I wouldnt have stayed with it for all those years, no matter how much I needed the money. Life is too short -- and, if you're miserable 40+ hours a week, your life will probably be much shorter.
Awesome!!! This is what I wanted to hear. You kind of sound like me I'm very introverted and logical (but I don't love math). That cleaning business sounds like a good idea. Maybe I can hire others to do the cleaning though No but seriously I think you're right, especially about your life being shorter. I never thought about it that way.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH_Finally View Post
I do love what I do. I'm an IT Business Analyst. I get to talk to smart people about their business needs, and then work with smart computer people. It's honestly very easy for me (you need a particular personality to pull it off), and it pays very well. I couldn't be happier at any other job.
That actually sounds pretty interesting and right up my ally. BRB googling IT Business Analyst

Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,841 times
I would like to run a restaurant, or be a home interior designer, or landscape designer.... this is in my next life of course if there is such a thing!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i know how you feel.. i feel like i will loose my identity and what i want to do in this corporate job but i have pay the bills... i feel like i have been chasing who i want to be for as long as i've been alive... and who i really am lays dormant because there is always some responsibility in the way of what i really want to do. first it was 12 years of school, then college, now this job thing...and once again i am trapped doing what i dont want to do but have to do...
Sorry to hear about that. I know the feeling, especially the last sentence you wrote. Save your money, live frugal, buy your freedom! I don't think we were meant to live this way.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:44 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,043 times
I envy those who love what they do.
I'm not in that position (YET), but it's great getting a check (of course).

Old 02-21-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anushkasharmaishot View Post
A job is all things to all people.

To some, it's just a pay cheque. to others, it's their means to self-actualise. to others still, it's a means simply to do something they enjoy. Like everything else in life, it's subjective.
This is something I struggle with. Can people REALLY separate their job from their life? I mean you spend most of your day at work and if your work sucks and causes you stress, doesn't that affect your home life? health? Is it just rationalization? Are people just fooling themselves? It's really hard to say. I just can't see how some people can really put up those walls and compartamentalize (sp?) if you know what I mean.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 PM

36 posts, read 70,242 times
been there, done that for the past 5 years. I done the job I LOVE, but I had to let it go when I realize it wasn't paying my bills, and I was stuck in the same position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment