Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

One approach I have learned as a supervisor, former business owner, and now manager is that when someone threatens to leave over anything I tell them I will be happy to accept their resignation. You cannot let the employees tell you what to do and in many cases there is no way you could get them more money anyway. In my current position the salaries are increased only up to a maximum (currently 3.5%) based on their annual performance review. The Boards sets this not me. And yes, anyone can be replaced, including me, especially theses days with so many well qualified people looking for jobs.

Everyone would like more money, but once you accept an offer and are made aware of the raise policy, you really do need to look at promotions, whether in the same department or into another, and plotting to intimidate the supervisor is not going to help with that. I take this as a plan to make the OP afraid he will lose them all at once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Lightbulb Doubt it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
30,000 employees is not exactly small.

People in hell want ice water, you can't always get what you want.
A company w/30,000 employees does not handle them in this manner, they know better.
Koale

Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times
I never complain about my salary; I never threaten to quit; and I never bring offers from other companies to the table. If I'm unsatisfied, I'll talk to my boss and explain why I should be better compensated. If it's a no go and I feel severely underpaid, I'll quit.

Using this method I've managed to keep a good working relationship with all my former employers. When I leave, I let it be known that there were no personal issues or hard feelings and it's just business.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:51 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
It is interesting seeing the posts from the people who seem to think they OP is wrong. How is he wrong? For holding people accountable to the arrangements they accepted when hired? Everyone knows what they will be paid and the work they are expected to do.

The company I work for pays very well for the jobs our employees do. I have people who make 5-10k more a year then the person across the street doing the same thing. I get these complaints as well, and there really is not much more you can do then explain how they are paid based on their work and performance. If people can not grasp that, then there is not much help for them. Luckily people here do.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:51 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I never complain about my salary; I never threaten to quit; and I never bring offers from other companies to the table. If I'm unsatisfied, I'll talk to my boss and explain why I should be better compensated. If it's a no go and I feel severely underpaid, I'll quit.

Using this method I've managed to keep a good working relationship with all my former employers. When I leave, I let it be known that there were no personal issues or hard feelings and it's just business.

I don't even bother talking to the boss. If he thinks I should be paid more, he would have given me the money already. The fact he doesn't give me the money tells me that he doesn't think I am worth the cost.

I just walk if I think I am not compensated well enough. My boss has a chance to counteroffer when I put in my resignation.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 PM

39 posts, read 60,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I don't even bother talking to the boss. If he thinks I should be paid more, he would have given me the money already. The fact he doesn't give me the money tells me that he doesn't think I am worth the cost.

I just walk if I think I am not compensated well enough. My boss has a chance to counteroffer when I put in my resignation.

What you fail to understand is, it's not like a light switch that you can turn on or off. There is a process. If you feel the need to walk, by all means wear your best pair of walking shoes.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
"Most people make lateral moves. They go from one place to the next doing the same thing and keep getting the same exact result,"

Amen, and its best to remind them, Insanity is the act of doing the same thing again and again, and expecting different results.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
sking for a raise is bad attitude? Bet he has high turnover.if he is lower management then i am sure eventaully the will fine the one real problem.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
texdav, How does one "sking" for a raise. Seriously, if management had thought they were worth more, they would have been paid more. The wise thing to do would be to find employment at a higher wage, if one is truly underpaid. But guess what, when they do not find someone paying substantially more, but rather offering essentially the same pay, that confirms they are already at Fair Market Value. So if you want more money, earning promotions and/or adding more education, skill sets, and training are key. Plus show a superb work ethic BEFORE you seek a raise.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
texdav, How does one "sking" for a raise. Seriously, if management had thought they were worth more, they would have been paid more. The wise thing to do would be to find employment at a higher wage, if one is truly underpaid. But guess what, when they do not find someone paying substantially more, but rather offering essentially the same pay, that confirms they are already at Fair Market Value. So if you want more money, earning promotions and/or adding more education, skill sets, and training are key. Plus show a superb work ethic BEFORE you seek a raise.
Management doesn't necessarily pay you what your worth. They usually only pay you what they think is the minimum necessary to keep you. I've known more than one person who had asked for a raise only to be turned down because "there isn't enough money I the budget." I always thought it was funny how once they put in their notice, all of a sudden more money was available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment