Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:54 PM

300 posts, read 1,136,920 times

Advertisements

Hello, I recently put in my 2 weeks notice than a couple of days later I took back my notice and my employer let me back . I don't understand why I did it because I was so unhappy their. I guess it's like a women going back to an abusive man. Now I really want to quit, however I know this won't make me look good so I'll put in my notice in 3-4 months again. I just hope I don't burn bridges/reference. I feel like I'm a marked person and they probably think that I'm going to quit again.

I feel uncomfortable when I come into work now, however it has to end. I feel so stressed out that it is affecting my schoolwork, relationships, family, etc. What do you guys think? Has this happen to you or someone that you know? How long should I wait until I put in my notice again?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 01:57 PM

6 posts, read 218,285 times
I think you have a good plan. Over the next 3 or 4 months look for something else. Management attitude changes towards you the moment you handed over your notice. All the employees and other managers are gossiping about you and youll probably be passed over for any internal opportunities should they avail them selves. Why not necessarily true, you actions showed that you are disloyal to the company. Just hold in there, save like crazy and continue to look for a better opportunity.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:05 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
I feel like I'm a marked person and they probably think that I'm going to quit again.
Apparently they are pretty smart.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 PM

771 posts, read 1,396,464 times
That's my biggest fear. Perhaps I have too much pride. I rather be unemployed I think, than go crawling back to my employer after putting in my two weeks. It's just never the same and I believe would be very awkward.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crradv View Post
I think you have a good plan. Over the next 3 or 4 months look for something else. Management attitude changes towards you the moment you handed over your notice. All the employees and other managers are gossiping about you and youll probably be passed over for any internal opportunities should they avail them selves. Why not necessarily true, you actions showed that you are disloyal to the company. Just hold in there, save like crazy and continue to look for a better opportunity.
That is what I was thinking too 3-4 months than I will put in my notice again. I've been there for 5 years and I'm in the same position as when I started while others are moving ahead =(.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:50 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times
Well, think about it this way: if a company ever needed to axe you, they'd do so without blinking an eye...often without any kind of notice at all, either.

Personally, I don't know if I'd come back to a company after giving them two weeks. Honestly, I might not even give them two minutes notice if I hated the company that much.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Well, think about it this way: if a company ever needed to axe you, they'd do so without blinking an eye...often without any kind of notice at all, either.

Personally, I don't know if I'd come back to a company after giving them two weeks. Honestly, I might not even give them two minutes notice if I hated the company that much.
Your absolutely right on employers axing on you on the spot without notice. I guess I hate this job so much that it has grown on to me. I wish I hadn't taken back my notice than I would have been done already; I will put in my notice again soon.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:35 PM

469 posts, read 913,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crradv View Post
Well said!!! As a manager, you will be the first one To get the unpleasent tasks. You already showed your hand. Now Ill take care of my loyal employees while I turn up the heat to help you make the decision.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:48 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,002,336 times
You already burned your bridges by un-rescinding your resignation. You could have quit amicably by letting them know the load was too much or you needed more money, but now they know you're just plodding along, probably doing the minimum to keep your job (even if it's not true).

I don't really know if there is a graceful exit at this point. The best situation may even be to hopefully get laid off so you can collect unemployment.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
That is what I was thinking too 3-4 months than I will put in my notice again. I've been there for 5 years and I'm in the same position as when I started while others are moving ahead =(.
Then maybe you need to ask yourself "why after 5 yrs are others moving ahead and I'm not".

I don't know old you are, but this isn't like returing an engagment ring. And then changing your mind again and again.

Only you know your financial situation, but this isn't a game.

Next time they won't take you back, you have also "marked" yourself and in the event of layoffs you will be in that group.

If you're not happy there then look for something else, as everyone knows it's much easier to find a job when you have a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment