Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 AM

29 posts, read 26,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Employers hate it when they offer you a job and the first thing you do is ask for time off.

Priorities
A vacation or a job.

Most places will not allow a new employee to take vacation time until you put in a year of service.

Exactly right or it is UNPAID LEAVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 AM

29 posts, read 26,131 times
Quote:
My wife is a upper level director for a major cell phone CO and they do not approve vacation time for anyone with 6mo or less of employment, in most cases it is only approved after a year of employment.

And if it is a union shop I can almost guarantee you that you will not get to take a vacation for the first year.

I find it arrogant for a new hire to ask for a vacation just after being hired.

True. There "vacation" was the time off between their last job and this one.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
It's attitudes like this that make me hate employers with a passion. Don't you have any idea how *important* hunting season is to some people? Or visiting their family at the only time of the year when the whole family can get together?

When I had a job, my personal life always came first, the job came 2nd - I fail to see why that's such a "bad" attitude to have.

At least now I can have all the time off I want...LOL.
Good for you.

Your job supports your family, with out a job your family suffers.
With out a job you can not afford to go hunting.
A responsible person takes care of their family first and puts there recreation (hunting)way down the list of priorities.

You have 2 days off a week to go hunting you can even go after work.
Put in your time and gain seniority and someday you could get it off. But not in every industry. There are times of the year when work is the priority, not play time.

You put hunting before family and job.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 AM

8 posts, read 235,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
It really depends on what industry you work in. For most corporate environments, taking time off within the first month is common and not frowned upon. For retail, or service industries this is a no-no. You should have mentioned it once, twice, and a third time to the employer before they hired you on. But since you can't go back in time, I would approach them with a sincere apologetic attitude that this trip has been paid for and you would really love to go and that it would mean the world to you if they complied.

Your boss IS human after all, and they usually will sympathize with you. Before I was hired on to my last two companies I had pre-planned vacations. I told them I needed the days off prior to even working. They had no problem with it, but I am in the corporate world. I checked emails while on vacation and attended some phone conferences, no big deal! Also, I let a couple vacation days expire last year because I felt bad about taking more time off then I felt I deserved.
Yes that is most probably what I will do...

Because it's a very fast-paced industry the HR person was scared that i'd miss important launches, etc.

It's a managerial position.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:01 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Be very upfront with them, and as you said, ask for a decision as soon as possible so that you can make arrangement to recoup some of your money if you can't go.

And by all means, offer to take the time off as unpaid, offer to forfeit any upcoming vacation in favor of this particular week, or offer to make up the time when you get back by working extra hours for a week or two.

Quote:
You haven't had many jobs have you?
I've had plenty of jobs, and haven't had a ridiculous one-year restriction on my vacation since my first job out of college in 1981.

My current employer gives everyone four weeks off each year; in your first year, you accrue five days per quarter. In previous jobs, employees were allowed 1 week after one quarter and two weeks after six months; employees accrued 2.x days per month, etc. etc.

Quote:
I find it arrogant for a new hire to ask for a vacation just after being hired.
I find it arrogant that employers can't be more flexible with new hires (or with all employees, for that matter). People do have lives and do make plans that can't be changed for one reason or another. I changed jobs a month before my sister got married. Thank goodness I had a decent boss who appreciated that special family occasions are more important than a day or two of work.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I find it arrogant that employers can't be more flexible with new hires (or with all employees, for that matter). People do have lives and do make plans that can't be changed for one reason or another. I changed jobs a month before my sister got married. Thank goodness I had a decent boss who appreciated that special family occasions are more important than a day or two of work.
The point here is that although the question of planned vacation time was brought up during the interview process, the OP was subsequently offered and accepted the job two weeks ago and made no follow-up attempts on the vacation plans which were not mentioned in the job offer. Her initial question was whether to bring it up now (two weeks later) or wait until her first day at the new job which is just a couple of weeks away from her planned vacation.

Of course employers know that people have lives but the point is that as a general rule you do NOT go through an interview, accept a job and then turn up to work and blithely say to the boss, "Oh, just to let you know I'm off on vacation two weeks from today for a couple of weeks"!

I have absolutely no doubt that when you changed jobs shortly before your sister's wedding, you had already got that matter squared away.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
That's actually pretty standard where paid vacations are concerned but what many companies DO allow is for unpaid time off if a vacation has already been set prior to hire. Obviously this is something that has to be discussed up front but most employers will work something out as long as it's reasonable.
No, it's not standard. What -is- standard, is that employers will not provide -paid- vacation time for employees until they've been with the company for a year. Unpaid vacation time already planned for prior to being offered a job, should only be a minor inconvenience to the employer and not a deal-breaker (unless the job is only for the few weeks that the vacation falls in).

Most companies accommodate such situations, as long as they are informed either immediately upon hire, or at the last stages of the interview process. You just tell them "Can't wait to start work, however I have already committed to this 10-day period and will be unavailable during that time." It's really not even any of their business that you're using it for vacation, since you're not asking them for paid vacation time off. Since they're not paying you for it, you don't need to ask their permission to take it. But you -do- owe them the courtesy of informing them that you've already made plans that you can't break during that time frame, so that they can compensate for your absence.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No, it's not standard. What -is- standard, is that employers will not provide -paid- vacation time for employees until they've been with the company for a year. Unpaid vacation time already planned for prior to being offered a job, should only be a minor inconvenience to the employer and not a deal-breaker (unless the job is only for the few weeks that the vacation falls in).

Most companies accommodate such situations, as long as they are informed either immediately upon hire, or at the last stages of the interview process. You just tell them "Can't wait to start work, however I have already committed to this 10-day period and will be unavailable during that time." It's really not even any of their business that you're using it for vacation, since you're not asking them for paid vacation time off. Since they're not paying you for it, you don't need to ask their permission to take it. But you -do- owe them the courtesy of informing them that you've already made plans that you can't break during that time frame, so that they can compensate for your absence.
I'm not sure what you're arguing about as I said exactly that.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:01 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
...threads like these make me wish the government forced employers to give all of their employees a certain number of vacation days, as they do in most first-world nations...

Old 04-09-2012, 01:17 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
...threads like these make me wish the government forced employers to give all of their employees a certain number of vacation days, as they do in most first-world nations...
Spot on, automatic rep point for you. Australia provides a 4-week min vacation along with a min wage of approx $15 an hour, even for burger-flippers. And guess what, Australia has just about the best economy in the world right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment