Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:41 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,526,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I like to do those things (except substitute Goldfish crackers for Teddy Grahams). But I also like to go to the theater and go to upscale bars and restaurants on occasion too.

For example, on a past trip to Vegas, on one night we were rather dressed up and went and had drinks at the Foundation Room (before it was open to the public - we had a friend get us in - and pretty much one of the most exclusive clubs in Sin City) and racked up a fairly hefty bill on martinis and cocktails. Two nights later we were in the dive that is Beauty Bar off of Freemont Street, dressed in jeans and t-shirts tossing back $2 Bud Lights and watching a horrible punk band. We enjoyed both places.

Many of our acquaintences are like that. They do enjoy more upscale things, but they certainly have no issue with the simple things either. I find that a lot of people who complain about "snobby yuppies" are often just at least a bit jealous that those people have a lifestyle that they do not...and those types of folks are no better than (and as snobby as) more affluent people who do, in fact, look down on those of lesser means as somehow being "commoners".
Rule #1: Yuppies don't go to Vegas. It's too low class for them. They would rather do a weekend getaway to the alps instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 08:26 PM

994 posts, read 1,593,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Regardless of age... I think he was getting at that you were making an unfounded and immature comment.
Since when does anyone care? He insults me, I insult back.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
Since when does anyone care? He insults me, I insult back.
Yes, I think that's the point. You insulted, he insulted back. Why you started this insulting war is in question.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity123737 View Post
What about Yuppie hobbies - Golf, boating, wind surfing, flying, fishing, hunting, hill walking, Scuba Diving - all mostly pointless and yawn inducing - I could swear these people in the office enjoy talking their hobbies more than actually doing them.

I pointed out to someone into hunting, fishing, and boating - you don't need to do these things its the 21st century you can drive, buy food in the supermarkets.

I am not against anyone having these type of hobbies, but I just can bear listening to the latest completely boring, charmless office colleague who has taken up windsurfing.

Its almost a competitive who has the most outlandish hobbies - there all clone like and have the same hobbies.

Another thing there into the gym, jogging mostly anti social type hobbies, but won't under circumstances play football, soccer, rugby etc - anything that involves direct competition or something you to work hard at it is avoided.

So there into all dull self interested hobbies, that they enjoy talking about more than doing.
At just about every job I've had, someone has asked me at some point "so what are your hobbies?" I usually respond with "I don't have any hobbies." It kind of shocks them, yet I don't know why. I just think it's kind of a silly question. I responded once with "I like to read in my spare time" and he said "is that it?" with a puzzled look on his face. Most people work, spend time with their families, maybe go to the movies on the weekends, or go down to the beach or something, but don't have the structured "hobbies" like you describe.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
At just about every job I've had, someone has asked me at some point "so what are your hobbies?" I usually respond with "I don't have any hobbies." It kind of shocks them, yet I don't know why. I just think it's kind of a silly question. I responded once with "I like to read in my spare time" and he said "is that it?" with a puzzled look on his face. Most people work, spend time with their families, maybe go to the movies on the weekends, or go down to the beach or something, but don't have the structured "hobbies" like you describe.
Spending time with your family is often in the form of structured hobbies. Father-son fishing, taking the family out on the boat for a picnic, etc. It beats watching TV with the family or playing a board game.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:03 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
In the white collar "corporate world," I've encountered a lot of yuppie types who are snobby (or at least I see them that way).

I invited one of my yuppie co-workers to eat at Subway the other day and she laughed at me and said it wasn't "chic." That was the word she used. Apparently it is low class of me to go to Subway, Jack in the Box, or a Chinese buffet for lunch. They all go to overpriced restaurants everyday and brag about eating at upscale sushi bars and the nearby Cafe Express (which is overpriced and has small portions).

They also have a certain way of talking. I call it yuppie speak. A watch is not a watch, it is a "timepiece." A clothing store is a "boutique shop." Wealthy people are "high net worth individuals." lol

The lady who sits next to me spent almost half an hour the other day whining because she had a first class plane ticket and wasn't able to board immediately.

Also, they never talk about going to the movie theater or going to the park for fun. Instead, they go to see plays or the opera on the weekend.

Tired of yuppies, even though I am one. I'm not a snobby yuppie though.
I know a few snobs. Don't eat bologna. Subway might be considered garbage. Everything must be in order. Everything must be "beaucoup, fufu, tres chic, fab," etc.. In their defense, they are accomplished professionals and have high end credentials to back it up. Personally, I think it's silly but, they are who they are. To reject them would be the same as rejecting people who are on the lower end of the social spectrum.

Last edited by Jay100; 01-19-2013 at 11:15 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 01:16 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,152,339 times
Anyway, going out to lunch everyday is very expensive. It really adds up, even if you only eat at a fast food restaurant.

I knew someone who spent only $5.00 on lunch everyday, but it added up to $100 a month!

It's better to bring your own healthy lunch into the lunchroom and read a paperback. You can save a lot of money and a lot of calories. Although I once got a comment from a co-worker: "You really like to read books", in a tone suggesting that it was it was very, very strange to like reading. Many people were eating their lunches in the next room in front of the TV and watching Jerry Springer.

I remember I once ate out for five days straight and was feeling sick from all the sodium I had consumed.

By the way, if you have ever read The Millionaire Next Door, many of those people profiled were pretty frugal and unassuming. They'd be the people that you would least expect to be a millionaire. Yes, the book is outdated but it is still a classic and you can learn a lot from it. The authors have also written several other books about the topic.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 AM

97 posts, read 320,893 times
In my experience, most of the wealthy people in Orem, Utah are anything but snobby. I moved here from Maryland in late 2008 not knowing a soul here and having never set foot in Utah. After a year or two, I had ended up making friends with just about this whole neighborhood of mostly custom built upscale homes despite being only 19-21 and living in an apartment 7 miles away. When I was getting ready to leave on my mission, everyone banded together to help me get ready, someone even bought me a new men's suit. I have my current job partially because the CEO of my company is one of the neighborhood friends.

As far as yuppies though, several people in the neighborhood have informed me that years ago, before I moved to Utah, there were these 5 late 20-somethings in the neighborhood who were millionaires and driving really fancy cars. It turned out that they were involved in running a Ponzi scheme and when it collapsed they essentially went broke and all 5 of the houses went up for short sale.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:25 PM

530 posts, read 1,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I disagree with you about clothing. The clothing at TJ MAXX or Marshalls is all imported from China and the alike with mid-level labels slapped on them. If you want quality clothing, you'll be out of luck at these stores.

The reason why people tend to stick to labels is because they know what they're getting. It's like buying a Toyota rather than a Suzuki. There's a certain level of quality that comes with a Toyota.
Funny thing is is that the last time I was in a Bloomingdales I noticed every piece of clothing I looked at (and I looked at a lot just to check the Made In label) stated: made in China.

Also nowadays a lot of designer brands are still making their so called "luxury goods" in France, Italy BUT they are importing Chinese workers so they can still stamp the product with Made in Italy, Made in France....

Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 PM

530 posts, read 1,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Hipsters, yuppies,snobs,whatever, PEOPLE, etc...........all the same.

You have those that shop at thrift stores and ride old 10-speed bikes that think they are "different" because the don't follow the crowd. They are very much like their friends. All hipsters look and act alike, just like all yuppies look at act alike. Everyone's trying to be different but they're actually all the same.

Everyone is trying to "show up" everyone. You drive a Buick and they drive a Subaru, therefore you're not one of the cool kids. You shop at box stores they shop at the local farmers market. Therefore you're not one of the cool kids. You like Hollywood action movies, they like independent films, therefore you're not one of the cool kids. You listen to mainstream music, they listen to people that NO ONE has ever heard of. Therefore you're not one of the cool kids. YOU like pit-bulls, they like Labs. Therefore you're not one of the cool kids. I could go on and on............it's not a yuppie thing. People have a way of trying to segregate themselves from others, usually in an attempt to put themselves on a "higher level" than you.

People do it all of the time with anything. You wear a regular jacket, they wear NorthFace.......you get my point. With the attempt to be "different", people are actually the same. Most often, people that try soooo hard to be "different" are mediocre at best.

People have, more than ever, over inflated values of themselves. Based on THINGS that have nothing to do with character or values. We celebrate Dr. MLK's birthday EVERY YEAR. Apparently we have an entire country of people that miss the message.
Excellent!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment