Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 04:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
It is funny that you should bring that up. Some years back the government let them have a tax holiday let them repatriate a ton of overseas profits. They created very few jobs at all. Thus the reason their has been talk about taxing overseas profits. But hey some guys at the top got fat bonus checks so it all worked out. Corporate American could care less about investing one dollar in American for most part. They sure could care less about creating any jobs here. And on top of everything else they keep shipping jobs overseas by the boatload.
Holidays do not change behavior in the way permanent tax code does, but many nations let them go untaxed or tax slightly, so corps would be STUPID to repatriate them in the US more than their cash demands necessitated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 04:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Nobody seemed to mind when manufacturing jobs were being shipped overseas? Since when? He'll I'd work a manufacturing job that provided full benefits and afforded a middle class lifestyle.

You've got me confused with someone else.
Andywire is correct, and I am a white collar professional who recalls well how the 80s and 90s recessions did not get the press this one did, and we had 10.8 percent unemployed during 80s recession..but those were BLUE collar recessions, for the most part. That is why this one got so much more press.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:38 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
"the economy won't recover"

Just like the good times of the housing bubble and easy credit will go on forever?

Good times will come again. Boom and Bust.

"A season for all things. A time to live and a time to die. A time to build and a time to destroy"

Old 04-29-2012, 04:42 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Good times will come again..
Not with the crooks and special interests running this country. Wages today are those of 30 years ago. How do you think the economy will survive? Are the corporations out of the beneficience of their hearts going to provide wages commensurate with the cost of living in this country? If history is any guide, they won't but, will, instead further reduce wages and benefits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
a time to destroy"
Taking place right now. Euphemism for a race to the bottom is "creative destruction."

Old 04-29-2012, 04:43 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
What kind of skill sets do you need for such jobs? Would companies be willing to hire someone and fully train them, or is that notion a relic of the past? I would definitely be much happier working among non-corporate people who have a sense of humour and some semblance of pesonaloty and a "willing to take one for the team" type attitude rather than CYA.
We have an apprentice program (paid) in association with the local vo-tech, and upon graduation the apprentices move to f/t employment with us (if they choose--most do) which includes a pay raise and full benefits. Their pay goes up incrementally as they earn various additional certifications. Our highest paid techs make about $35 an hour.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We have an apprentice program (paid) in association with the local vo-tech, and upon graduation the apprentices move to f/t employment with us (if they choose--most do) which includes a pay raise and full benefits. Their pay goes up incrementally as they earn various additional certifications. Our highest paid techs make about $35 an hour.
What kind of tech are these people? What do they exactly do for work?

I think nowadays a college degree is too expensive and not worth it. Like my Mech Eng degree... It's so hard to be a Product Design Engineer: you gotta know plastic design, sheet metal design, casting design, GD & T, and sometimes tolerance stackups and now some are asking for Six Sigma. Some of this stuff they never even teach you in college. And I looked at online courses at the Univ of IL at Urbana - Champaign and an FEA course would cost me around $3200 or so... I'm better off buying the best FEA books and teaching myself FEA through bootleg CAD and FEA software. And then most FEA jobs go to a Master's degree ME or so.

It's getting tough and low pay to be an engineer. To get a $65k salary they want you to have lots of skills and experience.

America would recover from this recession if workers were paid well enough, if they weren't permatemps with no health insurance, that people weren't worked severe overtime on salary, and that if companies hired enough people to avoid overtime.

Like I interviewed at both Cozzini and Cummins Alison for a Mech Eng Tech writer and they both lowballed salaries. I guess they didn't hire me because my minimum rate of $48,000 / year was too much for them, or else they didn't respect me because I'm not a good looking white boy that they can hire [- these people get preference].

Old 04-29-2012, 05:26 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
What kind of skill sets do you need for such jobs? Would companies be willing to hire someone and fully train them, or is that notion a relic of the past? I would definitely be much happier working among non-corporate people who have a sense of humour and some semblance of pesonaloty and a "willing to take one for the team" type attitude rather than CYA.

There are a lot of small shops around that are pretty willing to take green candidates and start them on simple jobs, and teach them the ropes of this kind of work. The good jobs where you will learn the most tend to administer math and skills assessment tests, but a lack of experience can be made up for with a good attitude, some smarts, and a good work ethic. You won't make terribly much working for those small shops, but you can learn a ton, as larger companies tend to only teach their workers to do a few things only, so they can't jump ship as easy. Once you get the right skillset, you can do like trc2k11 has done and work for a large, high paying company lie Boeing. I don't know of any shops around here that pay $25/hr for a waterjet operator/programmer, but they will teach people they think can learn. They will pay +$25/hr for someone who can program a waterjet, run an EDM, work on AutoCAD, build fixtures, in other words, do anything that needs to be done. For those that like to learn, those are the places to go to start out. After that, you can start earning the good money.

Last edited by andywire; 04-29-2012 at 05:35 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
What kind of tech are these people? What do they exactly do for work?

I think nowadays a college degree is too expensive and not worth it. Like my Mech Eng degree... It's so hard to be a Product Design Engineer: you gotta know plastic design, sheet metal design, casting design, GD & T, and sometimes tolerance stackups and now some are asking for Six Sigma. Some of this stuff they never even teach you in college. And I looked at online courses at the Univ of IL at Urbana - Champaign and an FEA course would cost me around $3200 or so... I'm better off buying the best FEA books and teaching myself FEA through bootleg CAD and FEA software. And then most FEA jobs go to a Master's degree ME or so.

It's getting tough and low pay to be an engineer. To get a $65k salary they want you to have lots of skills and experience.

America would recover from this recession if workers were paid well enough, if they weren't permatemps with no health insurance, that people weren't worked severe overtime on salary, and that if companies hired enough people to avoid overtime.

Like I interviewed at both Cozzini and Cummins Alison for a Mech Eng Tech writer and they both lowballed salaries. I guess they didn't hire me because my minimum rate of $48,000 / year was too much for them, or else they didn't respect me because I'm not a good looking white boy that they can hire [- these people get preference].
How much did you expect for a technical writing job? I know guys with high school diplomas doing that kind of work around here. CAD work is not something you need a college degree for, most of us on the shop floor do our own CAD work. For a lot of these people, 40K is not bad money right now, especially the older guys who have been doing it for 30 years and don't really need the extra money.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:45 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I think nowadays a college degree is too expensive and not worth it.

I agree about the degrees... I don't regret not going. I'm making that amount right now in hourly pay + overtime without a degree.

Will I ever make $100k? Probably not...but I don't need to either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Once you get the right skillset, you can do like trc2k11 has done and work for a large, high paying company lie Boeing. I don't know of any shops around here that pay $25/hr for a waterjet operator/programmer, but they will teach people they think can learn. They will pay +$25/hr for someone who can program a waterjet, run an EDM, work on AutoCAD, build fixtures, in other words, do anything that needs to be done.
That's pretty much it... I can do it all at our shop. I made $17 in Georgia but there the COL and overall pay is lower for all jobs. The COL is higher here and the pay is higher too, although personally I haven't seen that much of a difference in living expenses since moving here except when it comes to the housing market which is really expensive. I'm not buying right now though so it's not a concern.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:04 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Corporate greed is one of the reasons. Students loans are another. Instead of buying a home or car or some other durable good kids are stuck repaying loans that'll go on for years.

Of course, all the problems this country is facing can be traced right back to Washington. Both parties are seeking ideological purity and too many morons in this country are rooting them on.

See the political forum here on C-D for a prime example of why the average Joe is losing and Washington and all its corruption is winning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment