Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,993,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
My last job as an easy Proe Designer Detailer paid $32.10/hr no benefits, - with O.T. it was $68K/yr. Great job before the recession..
Pre Recession is ancient history. The offers you are dissing now are in a narrow salary range, which indicates they are the new market rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:08 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,755,213 times
On 4-16-2012 I got a recruiter call & email me for a great paying $35 / hr Proe Designer contract job in Memphis. I don't know what happened / he hasn't contacted back. Maybe he thinks my resume is fishy with saying I've been doing PT project work for Article One since Summer 2009 - which is all actually a big lie to make my resume look like I've not been unemployed since Aug 2008. I'm one of those unfortunate qualified candidates laid off before the big recession / downsizing of 2009 but employers and recruiters see my long term unemployment as a big red flag. So I have to lie on my resume, but I wonder if it's backfiring on me.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:59 PM

878 posts, read 1,655,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
My point was you have no sound basis for telling Jesse was he should accept as a wage. He is of higher skill and you have no clue about his situation. So he's making $100/mo disability, so what? So he should be an engineer for $101/mo? That is simply pea-brained logic that deserved ridicule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
This coming from a condescending prick who looks down his nose at others.
So true.

He's of higher skill why? Because he has a college degree and I don't? I could care less what decision he makes... he's an unemployed engineer. I'm a high school graduate with no degree and I'm making the same $65k that he is posting that you need lots of skill and experience for and seems to be having difficulty in getting for himself.

Ridicule me all you want. I'll try not to think about what a horrible blue collar worker I am as I'm cashing my $1000 paychecks every week.

Quote:
What kind of tech are these people? What do they exactly do for work?

I think nowadays a college degree is too expensive and not worth it. Like my Mech Eng degree... It's so hard to be a Product Design Engineer

It's getting tough and low pay to be an engineer. To get a $65k salary they want you to have lots of skills and experience.
What do I do for work? Right now I run CNC machines... specifically saws and waterjets cutting aluminum and titanium aircraft parts. I have 18 years metalworking experience. I work for one of the top 3 suppliers for Boeing Commercial Airplanes...

So far this year I've grossed $23k in 4 months... on pace for just under $70k.

I never got past Algebra II in high school. Call me uneducated if you want... I have lots of skill and experience with a good job and I don't have student loan debt. I sleep well at night.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
My last job as an easy Proe Designer Detailer paid $32.10/hr no benefits, - with O.T. it was $68K/yr. Great job before the recession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Pre Recession is ancient history. The offers you are dissing now are in a narrow salary range, which indicates they are the new market rate.
I agree. I think once the unemployed realize that they are in a post-recession era with lower payscales that they will have better luck getting a job.

I was fortunate in the fact that I am making more now than I was when I was laid off, but that has a lot to do with the fact that I moved from a very poor area with a low COL (Savannah, GA) to an area with a very high COL and higher pay (Seattle, WA).

The house I sold in Georgia for $135k would cost $300k here.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,993,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I agree. I think once the unemployed realize that they are in a post-recession era with lower payscales that they will have better luck getting a job.

I was fortunate in the fact that I am making more now than I was when I was laid off, but that has a lot to do with the fact that I moved from a very poor area with a low COL (Savannah, GA) to an area with a very high COL and higher pay (Seattle, WA).

The house I sold in Georgia for $135k would cost $300k here.
Add in he is now unemployed 3.5 years, and of course, the offers now are much lower than 5-6 years ago, when unemployment rates were still fairly low.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Add in he is now unemployed 3.5 years, and of course, the offers now are much lower than 5-6 years ago, when unemployment rates were still fairly low.
Times have definitely changed.

On a side note... Race to the Bottom: Georgia Legislators Approve Severe Cuts to Unemployment Insurance | unemployedworkers.org

I don't miss that state. At all.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:22 PM

808 posts, read 1,679,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We don't care about the color of someone's skin or their gender, where they go to church or don't go as the case might be. We care about the quality of their work and if they are a team player. Our workforce ranges from 19 to ready to retire.
Who is we exactly? Surely you don't speak for everyone. True, many people are not discriminatory, but many are.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,102,354 times
Quote:
I've done dirty work too as a Chicago Downtown bike messenger, but it wasn't profitable.
If that's the dirtiest thing you've ever done, you have no idea what dirty work really is.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,102,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Who is we exactly? Surely you don't speak for everyone. True, many people are not discriminatory, but many are.
I was speaking for my company. Like I said, over half our workforce is minority owned, in fact the company itself is minority owned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment