Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 01:59 PM

808 posts, read 1,682,142 times

Advertisements

We need to go back to on the job training and do away with companies exploiting interns.

On the job training because all the college in the world doesn't prepare you to actually do a job. Even with professional degrees, you need training to do something actually tangible. Something productive. But employers refuse to provide it. They want you to have it from the get go. The only way to get a job is to previously has held that position, because it's the only way to get the skill set.

And unpaid internships are preventing that training. Rather than hire entry level positions companies would rather just rotate their intern stock every 6 months or so. And of course the only people who can afford an unpaid internship are the more well off.

Even for the most basic administrative jobs you need years of experience. Custodial work requires it. Pretty soon you'll need 3 years of retail to work at Wendy's.

It's ridiculous how impossible it is to get your foot in the door anymore. Income is going to be permanently depressed because employers refuse to hire anyone new. The only people they will consider for even a receptionist job, is the Office Administrator who worked somewhere for 10 years and was making 45k, and they offer them 10 bucks an hour.

Or they fill their ranks with again interns or temps who receive no benefits. The middle class is seriously dying. We're in a sprint to the bottom when it comes to labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 02:02 PM

808 posts, read 1,682,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
Let's just say I know more about it than someone whose name is stitched on their workshirt.
u mad?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 PM

29,988 posts, read 25,118,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
We need to go back to on the job training and do away with companies exploiting interns.

On the job training because all the college in the world doesn't prepare you to actually do a job. Even with professional degrees, you need training to do something actually tangible. Something productive. But employers refuse to provide it. They want you to have it from the get go. The only way to get a job is to previously has held that position, because it's the only way to get the skill set.

And unpaid internships are preventing that training. Rather than hire entry level positions companies would rather just rotate their intern stock every 6 months or so. And of course the only people who can afford an unpaid internship are the more well off.

Even for the most basic administrative jobs you need years of experience. Custodial work requires it. Pretty soon you'll need 3 years of retail to work at Wendy's.

It's ridiculous how impossible it is to get your foot in the door anymore. Income is going to be permanently depressed because employers refuse to hire anyone new. The only people they will consider for even a receptionist job, is the Office Administrator who worked somewhere for 10 years and was making 45k, and they offer them 10 bucks an hour.

Or they fill their ranks with again interns or temps who receive no benefits. The middle class is seriously dying. We're in a sprint to the bottom when it comes to labor.
Nobody seemed to mind when all those blue collar jobs were getting packed up and shipped off to China. Now that it's hitting the white collar workers, who I have been saying will feel it years ago, it's some sort of crime against humanity? The problem I have with all the people whining about this now is... People only complain when it's themselves with their feet over the flame. Not saying I don't feel bad, cause I lived it too an adapted, but just saying... People are so divided in this country it's no wonder the middle class is being destroyed. Remember... Divided, we fall.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:52 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,177,144 times
Nobody seemed to mind when manufacturing jobs were being shipped overseas? Since when? He'll I'd work a manufacturing job that provided full benefits and afforded a middle class lifestyle.

You've got me confused with someone else.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:56 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,419,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Nobody seemed to mind when manufacturing jobs were being shipped overseas? Since when? He'll I'd work a manufacturing job that provided full benefits and afforded a middle class lifestyle.

You've got me confused with someone else.
I'd also gladly take a blue collar manufacturing job with benefits. I'd be far happier doing that than having to endure the corporate world.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:25 PM

878 posts, read 1,658,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
Let's just say I know more about it than someone whose name is stitched on their workshirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
u mad?
Yeah he was... that was his attempt to hurt my feelings I guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I'd also gladly take a blue collar manufacturing job with benefits. I'd be far happier doing that than having to endure the corporate world.
Yeah... not sure why the guy was attempting to bash me over it but whatever... I'm quite happy with my blue collar manufacturing job with benefits. $23k in 4 months has me on pace for just under $70k for the year. Compared to where I was at this point last year ($330 weekly unemployment = $17k year) I will gladly take it.

I have no shame in putting on my workshirt every day. In fact, my name is stitched on the front.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:36 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,139,284 times
According to the newspaper this morning it seems that shareholders of public corporations are voting against executive compensation packages proposed by the Board of Directors. This just happened to the CEO of Citigroup. His proposed package was for 15 million dollars and I will be a happy camper if he doesn't go through.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:00 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,419,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Yeah he was... that was his attempt to hurt my feelings I guess?

Yeah... not sure why the guy was attempting to bash me over it but whatever... I'm quite happy with my blue collar manufacturing job with benefits. $23k in 4 months has me on pace for just under $70k for the year. Compared to where I was at this point last year ($330 weekly unemployment = $17k year) I will gladly take it.

I have no shame in putting on my workshirt every day. In fact, my name is stitched on the front.
What kind of skill sets do you need for such jobs? Would companies be willing to hire someone and fully train them, or is that notion a relic of the past? I would definitely be much happier working among non-corporate people who have a sense of humour and some semblance of pesonaloty and a "willing to take one for the team" type attitude rather than CYA.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:19 PM

878 posts, read 1,658,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
What kind of skill sets do you need for such jobs? Would companies be willing to hire someone and fully train them, or is that notion a relic of the past?
What my employer looks for is someone with an industrial/manufacturing background. I'm not sure if they would hire someone who has been a car salesman their whole career but anyone who has experience getting their hands dirty would probably be given a chance.

For me I've been doing this for 18 years... all metal working. I started out doing stuff like deburring sharp edges on parts and what not.. moved up to manual machines such as drill presses and table saws... then I went to CNC machines like vertical mills, lathes, plasma and waterjet cutters.

I don't have a college degree. I have 1 week of tech training when I went to Flow (www.flowwaterjet.com) to learn their programming and machine operation. I have always been very good with computers dating back to the Commodore 64 of the 1980's... I'm a great typist (100 wpm) and took drawing classes in high school which made it easy for me to pick up on the software used (AutoCad, DigiCad, etc...) to draw parts.

Basically I can take a blueprint and draw the part on the computer and then cut the part on the machine. It's very interesting work, but none of it is difficult. I'm just a high school graduate who never got past Algebra II and I do just fine.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:24 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,014,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
You've been unemployed since 2008, yet you're passing on $23/hr contract jobs? Ok...
s*&^t, let someone offer ME $23/hr contract job! I'd be the first one in the door every a.m. and the last one out at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment