Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 10:27 AM

4 posts, read 7,605 times

Advertisements

Yes, it's a government job. And when I first came to this position
I was sitting in a area that's relatively quiet.
There was a supervisor there whom I talked a lot, and taught my a lot of new things relating to the job. However, my supervisor started getting jealous about this and asked the director to move me. So I was moved and ever since then I haven't been very happy at this new spot. It's pretty loud because we're close to unit that deals with technical support issues and they have a very lax job environment. They chat a lot and laugh out loud on most days. They're not so much the problem as is my co-worker seating behind me.
She always has visitors, and is always on the phone. She's loud and curses a lot. On a typical conversation I overhear she's like 'f...that s..." or "oh.. n... was doing x, and I told him hmm hmm" .
What's worse she's always worried about what I'm doing. She tells me... "ohh don't work so hard, it's Friday" or "hey it's 4, relax a little will ya". And two days ago, she had some visitors from another side of the office and they blatantly were talking about me, on how I work so much and make other people look bad. They were saying "he's not even a manager. This s.. is dog-eat-dog now"
I feel bad about this situation, and I can definitely see why people have a bad perception of certain government workers, but I'm not like those stereotypical ones.
I've thought about speaking with my supervisor and ask her to move me back. But I'm not sure how she will react and if will do so. I also don't wanna have a bad relationship with the woman sitting behind me. After all, I will be working with her on many things.
How would approach this situation?

I guess I should also add that my supervisor is slightly like my co-worker in her vocabulary, but not nearly as much.

Any helpful input is appreciated!

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 11:12 AM

45 posts, read 85,514 times
"Relax a little, will ya" sounds like a good response to me.

You're having a problem with people in the office being friendly with others, talking and laughing.

Why not try being friendly?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:32 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
maybe you should find a better job.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 7,605 times
I don't mind that people laugh and talk, we're not doing brain surgery here anyway, but it's actully pretty distracting when it's LOUD.
I'm not an un-friendly guy. Quite the opposite, I try to be nice to whom ever says hi to me, and I try to keep a cordial working relationship with whoever needs to work with me. I'm not rude and I watch my words so they are not misinterpreted.
And by no means I'm prudish, I just I find it very unprofessional that people in an office would be cursing out loud as if they were at a ball game.

As for the second reply, I'm coming from a job that paid 20k less than this one, and the chances for growth were minimal, so this job should be an improvement in both, financial and career goals.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:15 PM

926 posts, read 1,256,435 times
Sounds like you need to try and 'lighten up'. With all the craziness going on in the workplace a jovial work environment is a blessing.

Are you allowed to wear earplugs, headphones, Ipod?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:06 PM

380 posts, read 1,156,107 times
I agree with everyone else you should lighten up a bit. If I were you I would be friendly and talk with them, in order to build a good work friendship. However, be mindful to keep the socializing brief because you don't want to seen as a slacker. Once you have a good rapport with her ask her if she could keep it down when she is on the phone or talking to friends. Tell her it distracts you from your work and you can't hear the person you are talking to on the phone. If you have taken the time to break the ice and both of you feel comfortable with each other then you should be able to get some cooperation from her.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:40 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Post Office?

Old 05-18-2012, 08:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettoarbeit View Post
"Relax a little, will ya" sounds like a good response to me.

You're having a problem with people in the office being friendly with others, talking and laughing.

Why not try being friendly?
The OP isn't complaining about people being friendly, it's the noise level and the language being used.

It's an office, not a nightclub.

I would ask her if she could lower her voice(in a nice way) as you find it hard to concentrate or you can't hear people on the phone.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:29 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,323 times
Yikes! Are you permitted to wear headphones or is this role one where you need to interact with others?

It seems like changing your workspace is what led to the problem. What would it take so that you could move again, either back to where you were or somewhere else?

Old 05-21-2012, 06:16 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
Maybe you work for the wrong company. When you come to an interview, you look around and see what the company culture is. If you don't like what you see, then you won't like working there. It's simple. There are plenty of places where slurs and profanity are used all the time. Places where employees dress like.....well, you get the point. Some employers are lowlifes themselves so that's what they hire. Others hire lowlifes because they're dumb and cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment