Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 PM

130 posts, read 253,998 times

Advertisements

I think I need help finding the jobs to apply to. I applied with a good chuck on all the temp agencies in my area, I regularly check Craigslist, simplyhired, and indeed for various jobs.

Alot of the times, I am overqualified, or simply under qualified because I don't have 10+ years of experience for a job that requires a High School Diploma. For any entry-level position that I find, its all $10-$11 an hour.

A quick Summary of my location: San Antonio, Texas. I graduated in 2011, and have government, legal and basic administrative experience.

Side note: I am looking for a position that has the benefit of paying for my education (I would like to have it for grad school).

Please Help----
~~~~Lost and Frustrated College Graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 10:33 PM

723 posts, read 2,197,846 times
Major?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Major?
Political Science. I had a job with the government, but it was grant funded. Grant fund ended, and so did my job. As of right now, I have about 100 applications with the government.

In addition, I am also planning to start working on my Masters of Public Administration either this Summer or Fall.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,417,580 times
10-11 per hour really is a reasonable place to start. I know it is not what you want to be making, but the reality is that the higher paying jobs will be taken by people with not only the degree but the practical experience to back it up. And I know mentioned working for the government, but outside of that arena, a lot of people have the image of people who work for the government doing absolutely nothing at work. Fair? No. But the perception is if you can get a job with the government, you don't have to do a good job to keep it.

So, sorry I am not able to be more encouraging, but right out of college "entry level" really is reasonable. Especially now. When you started college the job you are looking for existed. Now? Employers have tons of applicants for every job. They will pick the most experience for the least pay.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:04 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,514,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcool View Post
I think I need help finding the jobs to apply to. I applied with a good chuck on all the temp agencies in my area, I regularly check Craigslist, simplyhired, and indeed for various jobs.

Alot of the times, I am overqualified, or simply under qualified because I don't have 10+ years of experience for a job that requires a High School Diploma. For any entry-level position that I find, its all $10-$11 an hour.

A quick Summary of my location: San Antonio, Texas. I graduated in 2011, and have government, legal and basic administrative experience.

Side note: I am looking for a position that has the benefit of paying for my education (I would like to have it for grad school).

Please Help----
~~~~Lost and Frustrated College Graduate.
I'm in San Antonio and I feel your pain. I can't even get interviews for blue collar and call center jobs because they prefer or require experience. I already have a job, but it doesn't pay very well and there is no room for advancement or pay raises. Try the federal government, but it can take awhile to get in, especially if you aren't a veteran. Also, consider moving to Austin where there are a lot of state government openings. I've become open to relocating and can't wait until my apartment lease is up. San Antonio is just not good all around for college graduates, even for STEM majors. Send me a DM if you're interested in some of the job websites I frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
So, sorry I am not able to be more encouraging, but right out of college "entry level" really is reasonable. Especially now. When you started college the job you are looking for existed. Now? Employers have tons of applicants for every job. They will pick the most experience for the least pay.
I've seen this a lot. People with 20 years of experience are now competing for jobs that pay less than $16 an hour and employers are now comfortable with hiring them because they know these applicants don't have many options these days. I was told I was overqualified for a job once last year. Now, I'm having employers call me for jobs that pay less than $12 an hour even though my resume clearly shows that I'm working on a master's and that I'm currently in a position that's higher than what they're hiring for. Even after I tell them what I'm making, they still bug me! Why would I take a pay cut to move from one dead end job to another?

Last edited by L210; 05-23-2012 at 03:16 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 06:13 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,613,064 times
I believe 10-11$ is the new "normal". Unless you are one of the golden "select majors" you will have to settle, compromise alot. Still a job is better than no job

Old 05-23-2012, 06:21 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,235,843 times
Political Science major? You financed that with student loans?

Ouch....

Maybe getting a masters and accumulating $50,000 more in non-dischargeable debt will fix that....

Political Science is one of the worst degrees you can get these days.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:01 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,613,064 times
hey at least he did not major in English lol...

Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 AM

279 posts, read 856,739 times
have you tried contacting your school career office? Thats how i landed my current job, i would of never found it if it wasnt for the college career ofifce

Old 05-23-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspeedbullet View Post
have you tried contacting your school career office? Thats how i landed my current job, i would of never found it if it wasnt for the college career ofifce

I went to school in New England, and was "forced" to move to San Antonio, Texas. My school only has opening in the new england area, and it might be a hindrance on my part too. In the sense, most people don't know about my school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment