Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:46 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend works for a small psychiatrists office. She really doesn't enjoy her job, but the pay is good and she will be leaving soon anyway. She has worked there for only about 3 months, and in another 3 she will be going back to grad school.

I think her boss has "crossed the line" with a few of his comments. He once asked her what was up with her chipped nail polish and requested she repaint them. I agree its kind of harmless, but still none of his business. She painted her nails the next day to fulfill his request. Another time, he asked her into his office alone and was asking her questions like what she thought about his car ($100K BMW SUV) and if she liked him, no mention of "as a person" or "as a boss" so it was up to my girlfriend to interpret.

I think his little odd questions and demands could be interpreted as flirtation, and it kind of worries me that he may decide to take things too far. Anyone else agree? Her boss is married BTW. Shes 24, hes like 45.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 12:53 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,762 times
The comment about her nail polish is harmless. When reviewing my office dress code when hired, my HR manager explicitly said "no chipped nail polish, no messy hair, etc." Your girlfriend's boss may not have remembered to explicitly tell her about this when she was hired. As for his comments about his car and "liking him", they are probably flirtatious comments but she can brush them off. If/when he starts making rude comments to her, then there is a problem. Otherwise the boss is just trying to make the office environment a little more informal and friendly.

I work in a "business casual" office and this is normal. My boss (mid-40s) flirts with every woman in my company regardless of age (he flirts with a 60-something regularly) and regardless of attractiveness (he flirts with a woman who is 50+ lb overweight.) It's not my cup of tea, but most of the women here love it and play along even if they're married.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:08 PM

926 posts, read 1,255,435 times
Well, I'm far from being a prude but her boss is treading a thin line. Thank goodness she's leaving soon.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
I wouldn't like the chipped polish either. I think it looks unprofessional. The other comments are questionable. It doesn't sound like he's really crossed the line though and since she's leaving in 3 more months I'd just deal until then unless he does something really inappropriate.

Last edited by strawberrykiki; 05-23-2012 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
I really don't see this stuff as a big deal yet. But I swear it seems he keeps getting closer and closer to doing something that will really make me P.Oed. I will let ya all know if I hear anything else suspicious.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I wouldn't like the chipped polish either. I don't think it looks unprofessional.
I disagree with you. I think it is extremely unprofessional to have chipped nail polish.

It's hard to be sure about the other comments. It appears borderline, but without knowing more about the context it's hard to pinpoint it.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I disagree with you. I think it is extremely unprofessional to have chipped nail polish.

It's hard to be sure about the other comments. It appears borderline, but without knowing more about the context it's hard to pinpoint it.
Oops. Typo. I meant it DOES look unprofessional. I'll edit my post, thanks for pointing that out.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:16 PM

819 posts, read 3,207,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
I work in a "business casual" office and this is normal. My boss (mid-40s) flirts with every woman in my company regardless of age (he flirts with a 60-something regularly) and regardless of attractiveness (he flirts with a woman who is 50+ lb overweight.) It's not my cup of tea, but most of the women here love it and play along even if they're married.
Seriously, did you even need to go there . . .

Old 05-23-2012, 03:18 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I think her boss has "crossed the line" with a few of his comments. He once asked her what was up with her chipped nail polish and requested she repaint them. I agree its kind of harmless, but still none of his business. She painted her nails the next day to fulfill his request. Another time, he asked her into his office alone and was asking her questions like what she thought about his car ($100K BMW SUV) and if she liked him, no mention of "as a person" or "as a boss" so it was up to my girlfriend to interpret.
I am very concerned about the highlighted section. The concern is that if that perfectly acceptable professional business comment was viewed as "crossed the line" behavior, are you sure that the converstaion she had with her boss in his office is not tainted to have left out or added in commentary to create a "Cross the Line" scenerio in you mind?

Old 05-23-2012, 03:23 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
My girlfriend works for a small psychiatrists office. She really doesn't enjoy her job, but the pay is good and she will be leaving soon anyway. She has worked there for only about 3 months, and in another 3 she will be going back to grad school.

I think his little odd questions and demands could be interpreted as flirtation, and it kind of worries me that he may decide to take things too far. Anyone else agree? Her boss is married BTW. Shes 24, hes like 45.
He is controlling, sounds very like a man who wants to see how far he can get with these requests. The more she complies, the greater the requests will be.
Go watch "Secretary."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment