Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:50 PM

653 posts, read 1,803,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Update re my PO application.
I just received my "official" HR statement saying I was hired and now awaiting a call
for my training to start. My start date was 9-08-12? Rate of pay is $12.38.
Finally!

Wow I remember when postal pay was alot higher. In the '70's it was almost $10/hour when most of us were making $4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 01:18 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
Default Re po

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I realize this has been a lot to go through, but you started this thread in May and knew awhile ago you would have to pay the money for the hotel in ABQ and get repaid later.

You're talking 5 months to come up with $800 to cover your expenses. If you couldn't save up that amount over all these months than ask someone to loan you the money. LIKE who.

Most people having several months to save up less than a $1,000 can do it.
NOT when you are on a SS fixed income and
have pressing medical bills for my wife

NO, I did not know in May that I would have to come up w/the $$, I was told I only would have
3 days training at the PO where I would work.

HW

Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 PM

Got a call today in that I was told to "stand-by" for a training schedule.?
Tenative will go to ABQ about 165 miles +- for a 2 day orientation. Then go back for one week and
stay the weekend? and then have 2 days of testing; "then" maybe another week of training.

This is for the PSE position and I would work in a level 18 PO in a small town.
8?to 5? +- and sat 8-noon. +-...

HW stay tuned..

Old 10-13-2012, 07:54 PM

suppossed to start w/ the po on monday for an orientation, but now sat, not a word about when and where to go...

figures...

Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
PSE isn't worth it. Not for the grief, the lousy hours, and the poor benefits. The APWU is more or less a company union at this point, though part of it is the fault of the membership, who signed off on the contract. If you're anywhere near a post office with city mailmen, at least a TE mailman makes a bit more money for having lousy benefits, and the city mailman's union is still pretty strong in most areas.

The days of the PO hiring career workers with benefits are probably over. I can't believe they bother with all this hoopla trying to hire someone who will likely quit anyways. They ought to just hire guys out of the Home Depot parking lot.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:15 PM

Went for 2 days ONE orientation in Abq. Will go back in 2 weeks for 5 days then back for a 1 hr. test.
They paid up front for my travel and hotel, + per diem.

The PSE position for me is only a very part-time position and all I want. I only work by myself in a one
person office. It was suppossed to be a PMR/OIC but they changed the position as the PO will
be a level 18.
After the mail is up in the morning, then it's counter time and minor stuff.

After seeing the operation in a large center, ABQ I don't see how those folks do it. It is a "rat" race from the time the
mail comes in until it goes out. Those machines are amazing...

Stay tuned.

HW

Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 PM

ok, after 2 days orientation I then had 40 hrs. of "training for the PSE position".
Then I just had one 8 hr. OJT in a level 18 PO.
Jesh...I got to work 15 min early and was told I was "late"...huh..well it is
espected that one must be there 30 min before there shift starts to get the bookwork
done and be ready to open on time...
Then I was supposed to end my "tour" at 4:30 NOO..you need to stay until "all" the work
'computer' stuff is done...jesh x2..
so at 5 I was told I could go but remember to be here
early the next day...
what kind of 'awakeing' is this...
this amounts to 6 hours free time for the po /week x 4 24 hours per month
x 12 288 hours/yr. at $00/hr = a ripe off .
The union does not get involed with this.

I might just stick it out until the first of the year..

HW ???????????????????

Old 11-08-2013, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,020 times
I had an interview for the post office 2 weeks ago. I was told it could take 2 weeks to 6 months to get a call. Has anyone had to wait that long? My status online says hiring list, but I still haven't heard anything. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-03-2014, 05:00 PM

91 posts, read 303,794 times
Hello skinzbcool. Did you get hired at the USPS? I just got an email to meet the post master. Does that mean I got the job?

Old 03-03-2014, 05:49 PM

91 posts, read 303,794 times
Default USPS Potential New Hire

Hello, how did it go? Are you officially an employee of the US Postal Service? I am currently scheduled to meet with the post master tomorrow and you have scared me to death when describing your horrific experience in attempts to land employment with the post office. I hope it went well considering all you had to go through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Took my "tests" on Thursday got a 85 overall score no fails..now what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment