Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:38 AM

644 posts, read 1,145,096 times

Advertisements

Right now I'm working at Target, it's a seasonal position, they are being very hush hush about whether or not they are keeping some of us. So that makes me feel a little concerned and worried because I need something to fall back on if they aren't going to keep us(there was a A LOT who interviewed and was accepted a seasonal position).

I'm already applying to other places just in case, but if I do get a job offer while employed here, I feel like just working my 90 seasonal period and working at another job(for back up) because I could really use the extra money right now, but I'm afraid it's going to be a handful and overwhelming.

Anybody had the experience of working two or more jobs at the same time? How was your experience and did you feel overwhelmed and had to quit one of those jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
I worked a full time job, a part time job, and took six hours of classes per semester at a local university. So yes, it can be done. Whether you choose to do so is up to you.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 AM

644 posts, read 1,145,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I worked a full time job, a part time job, and took six hours of classes per semester at a local university. So yes, it can be done. Whether you choose to do so is up to you.
I know it can be done, but were you stressed out...overwhelmed?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:48 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,127 times
Yes, but I was much younger and single. I worked full time and a part time job on weekends. I also went to grad school full time and worked full time. It can be done for short term periods and you will be okay. Long term and you are looking at burn out.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:36 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
You have to be self-disciplined. I don't think overwhelmed is the right term, but yes, you do get stressed when your life gets taken over by work (and school). You need to understand that you will have little free time and you are going to miss out on things. You are trading time now for a reward at the end.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:24 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
I did for 1 summer in college. I don't remember being stressed out or overwhelmed. I'd been at my waitressing job for a few years, so I knew they'd be flexible with my schedule. The other job was summer seasonal, 9-5. I did that 5-6 days/week, plus worked 5:30-11ish about 4 nights/week. I was young and energetic. I wouldn't want to have to do it now, but it wasn't an issue at the time.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:00 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Right now I'm working at Target, it's a seasonal position, they are being very hush hush about whether or not they are keeping some of us. So that makes me feel a little concerned and worried because I need something to fall back on if they aren't going to keep us(there was a A LOT who interviewed and was accepted a seasonal position).

I'm already applying to other places just in case, but if I do get a job offer while employed here, I feel like just working my 90 seasonal period and working at another job(for back up) because I could really use the extra money right now, but I'm afraid it's going to be a handful and overwhelming.

Anybody had the experience of working two or more jobs at the same time? How was your experience and did you feel overwhelmed and had to quit one of those jobs?
This past winter I worked four part time jobs. I mentioned this on another post but I'll repeat it. Sometimes, I had to do all four jobs on the same day, most of the time it was at least three on one day. I went 28 days without a day off from November to December.

Was it exhausting? YES!

Overwhelming? Not so much overwhelming, just exhausting. You basically go on to auto pilot and you will act like a complete zombie, just going through the motions, after awhile. But because you are on auto pilot, you won't even notice until about a month or two has passed. By the time you notice it, your seasonal job will either be ending or have already ended.

I had written it all out, knowing where I would be on any given day at what time. I'm really good at organizing, even my time, so I was able to do all four jobs and still be able to get home to throw food at the pets, throw the dogs out to conduct their business and get back to work. A LOT of driving around. The pets did suffer for a bit as I was unable to provide them with the attention they needed but we also needed money.

I'm not in my 20s so even though it would be rough for anyone, it was made worse because I'm not that young anymore. It's totally doable, it's NOT FOREVER, you must continue to tell yourself this. It will not last forever and, when all is said and done, even if it's not a large amount of money, you'll be glad for that extra money that you did fight for. (That's what it felt like sometimes, to me...fighting for a fricken dime!)

Old 05-23-2012, 12:11 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,637,629 times
I had two full time jobs for 8 months when my daughter was six years old because I was saving for a downpayment for my first house and my husband left us high and dry without paying the rent. I was determined that I would own my own place and have a safe haven for my daughter.

I did feel like a zombie - I worked 8 - 4 and 5p. to midnight at two different law firms (patent agent by day, civil lit. associate at night). I never got any sleep and I only saw my daughter at breakfast and when I dropped her off and picked her up from school. Fortunately, my parents watched her so I wasn't worried about her safety or well being but it was the hardest thing I ever did.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:19 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Yes, many times.

I worked at a county park for community service hours and then at a grocery. So bascially, from 8 am - 11 pm for several weeks.
I was in the USMC and had several side jobs including movie usher, security guard and concert security.
I held a 8 - 5 office job and worked at a bookstore for several months.

Not fun times but I wanted the cashola.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 PM

753 posts, read 1,482,118 times
I worked 5 for a while. Some were online so it wasn't as bad as it seems in terms of scheduling. Substitute teacher, online science content, tutoring online, tutoring in person, zoo. One company went belly up (still owes me money). One project ended. One I quit because I got tired of being treated like crap and paid almost nothing (falsely accused of things). I quit one to take a full-time job that I eventually quit. (I'm not the quitting type-I held my previous full-time job for 10 years at the same place). Now I am down to two. One is a new online job on my time so scheduling is easy. The other is weekends but about to be almost full-time for a while.

The worst thing was keeping up with time reporting procedures, supervisors, different employee policies at each place.

Also, I got spoiled working 8-4 for so long that working weekends with a family kinda sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment