Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:31 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,142,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
LOL! Not all business models center around consumers, and news flash, the USA comprises only about 5% of the global population.

Anytime one can reduce costs and pay off automation in little more than 1 year as is the case when benefits are added here, one would be a fool to pass up the opportunity.
We are actually only 4.5% of the worlds population - which is neither here nor there since we have until now controlled a disproportionate amount of the worlds wealth and disposable income..as well as consume a disproportionate amount of products and resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 05:27 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,525,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
I know nurses and engineers out of work. But let's just say everybody get educated and gets skills. And let's say they get in demand skills. Whatever the thing of the week is this week. We have 15 million unemployed and 15 to 25 million underemployed. Now let's worry only about the unemployed for now. Thus the 15 million go to college or get a trade. Their are no jobs to absorb 15 million people. Nor classroom space or room in the training programs. About 25 million Americans earn 9 dollars or less an hour. They are the underemployed no one talks about. So let's say even 10 million of these people get educated and gain skills. Where are they going to work? I will tell you nowhere that is where. We are moving to a future where will need less labor not more. Only 63.6% of us work now. The rate has been dropping for years. Of the 63% still working 15 to 17% are underemployed. We most likely will hit the 50% mark in the next 10 to 15 years. That will be our labor rate of people working. There will not be 25 million new jobs for these unemployed and underemployed to take. Most future job growth will be low wage service jobs. You will not be able to support yourself to start with.
So what is it you do?

Old 05-27-2012, 07:30 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,019,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
I know nurses and engineers out of work. But let's just say everybody get educated and gets skills. And let's say they get in demand skills. Whatever the thing of the week is this week. We have 15 million unemployed and 15 to 25 million underemployed. Now let's worry only about the unemployed for now. Thus the 15 million go to college or get a trade. Their are no jobs to absorb 15 million people. Nor classroom space or room in the training programs. About 25 million Americans earn 9 dollars or less an hour. They are the underemployed no one talks about. So let's say even 10 million of these people get educated and gain skills. Where are they going to work? I will tell you nowhere that is where. We are moving to a future where will need less labor not more. Only 63.6% of us work now. The rate has been dropping for years. Of the 63% still working 15 to 17% are underemployed. We most likely will hit the 50% mark in the next 10 to 15 years. That will be our labor rate of people working. There will not be 25 million new jobs for these unemployed and underemployed to take. Most future job growth will be low wage service jobs. You will not be able to support yourself to start with.
This argument is completely flawed; the thing is there are tons of people who can not get the skills that are in demand.

There is a reason why most people don't have the skills in the first place.

Lots of people can't do trigonometry or some can't even do basic algebra let a lone calculus..or learning mla format...

And then you just the percentage who are just plain ignorant. They pursue what they want to do instead of compensate for the market. They don;t give a little.

*I have to do sacrifice my temporary career choice. I love being an automotive technician. Work flies. I find myself hanging out at the shop; which is kind of sad but I have to give it up and get a job in another field that pays more money and repair cars as sidework.*

Finally you have the people who are lazy. Even if their life depended on getting skills they still would not obtain them.

What I'm basically saying is that the future is now. This is the market. People are people and they will not change because if they did you would have already seen a major increase in people attending secondary education schools.

If your not attractive and you do not possess some serious social skills you're royally screwed.

Even if you did. Your still at the mercy of an employer.

People know this now but refuse to acknowledge it and they would rather fight over the basic jobs by sending online resumes to a black hole.

Even if they did get the job their getting seriously underpaid, and taken advantage of because employers know there are 200-300 people just waiting to do their job.

With the more "prestigious" jobs...they can't do that. They would be lucky to find a replacement in a week or sometimes longer.

What area do you live in? The job market depends on location. Places like California are in economic depression.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:34 AM

640 posts, read 1,215,109 times
Massachusetts

Old 05-27-2012, 08:55 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I believe honestly the true nature of the recession is to get rid of dead weight people.

How can you eat and support yourself if you have no job. You either resort to violence and criminal activity , die from poor medical care or 3 you just die off period.

If your not productive then its poverty and an early grave.

I mean think it would force people to get skills and more educated. It would be the governments way of keeping people in check.

Corporations do not care at all about your abilities, and being dead weight is often an advantage. While the real workers are doing their jobs, the dead weight bums are brown-nosing management to stay employed; guess who wins in the end?

I worked at my former employer for 10 years. I got a solid raise every year (normal for the company was every 1.5 years.) I have a trade secret and a half a dozen invention disclosures to my name, and I also received a half a dozen major monetary performance awards - engineers don't normally receive a dime in such situations. I also graduated 3rd in my class with my engineering degree. So, I guess I'm "dead weight" because some corporate stooges said so?

No, corporations will cut *anyone* if they can get away with it, and they'll refuse to hire *everyone* if they can get away with that, too. My sin was being the oldest person in my group and also just barely having enough years with the company to be part of the pension plan. The company "fixed" that problem by cutting my job and destroying my career to save a few dimes.

Meanwhile, the currently employed at that hole include sociopaths and bums, a senior manager who was arrested a few years ago for vandalizing nearly $10,000 in private property, and so on. One can count on dead weight staying employed if they have connections!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:54 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Quote:
This argument is completely flawed; the thing is there are tons of people who can not get the skills that are in demand.

Lots of people can't do trigonometry or some can't even do basic algebra let a lone calculus..or learning mla format...

And then you just the percentage who are just plain ignorant. They pursue what they want to do instead of compensate for the market. They don;t give a little.

*I have to do sacrifice my temporary career choice. I love being an automotive technician. Work flies. I find myself hanging out at the shop; which is kind of sad but I have to give it up and get a job in another field that pays more money and repair cars as sidework.*

Finally you have the people who are lazy. Even if their life depended on getting skills they still would not obtain them.

What I'm basically saying is that the future is now. This is the market. People are people and they will not change because if they did you would have already seen a major increase in people attending secondary education schools.

If your not attractive and you do not possess some serious social skills you're royally screwed.

People know this now but refuse to acknowledge it and they would rather fight over the basic jobs by sending online resumes to a black hole.

Even if they did get the job their getting seriously underpaid, and taken advantage of because employers know there are 200-300 people just waiting to do their job.

With the more "prestigious" jobs...they can't do that. They would be lucky to find a replacement in a week or sometimes longer.

What area do you live in? The job market depends on location. Places like California are in economic depression.
Actually, both of your views are valid. There are many reasons 36% are already out of the market, but his view it will reach 50 makes perfect sense. RFID will eliminate in all probability 2/3 of cashiers. That is one of the most populated job cats in America. In my home state of Ct, where my sister is a cashier, there are 52,000 of them. Imagine 35k tossed out in a state that has less than 1.1 percent of the US pop. US total should be around 3.5 million jobs lost than simply from RFID. Shipping & Receiving will see similar percentage losses, vehicles that can ride guided tracks are already used some, and will fall in cost enough due to demand to become as mainstream as pcs. We all recall a home computer that did little costing $4k or more, when US median income was more than 1/3 lower than today. Now tens of millions have computers who were priced out than. These vehicles will see a similar price trajectory.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I worked at my former employer for 10 years. I got a solid raise every year (normal for the company was every 1.5 years.) I have a trade secret and a half a dozen invention disclosures to my name. !
Curious: The "trade secret" and invention disclosures-were they accompished early in the ten plus year period?

I worked with an Eng. Mgr who created over 1/2 a facilities income stream, via his inventions, which were patented, but he did little of that, nor did his staff, the last 1/2 of his 24 years there. So they did elminate his position.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:07 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Curious: The "trade secret" and invention disclosures-were they accompished early in the ten plus year period?

I worked with an Eng. Mgr who created over 1/2 a facilities income stream, via his inventions, which were patented, but he did little of that, nor did his staff, the last 1/2 of his 24 years there. So they did elminate his position.
Intersting question - the awards and such were pretty evenly spread out across my career. I suspect that unless you were a Ph.D. level senior research engineer, they will spread the awards out if they can. There is only so much money to go around for that stuff, and there's probably not enough to even properly award all the performing people each year.

That being said, an ungrateful attitude to people who built the place is common these days. I'm not saying a person should rest on their laurels, but in reality huge accomplishments are usually a mix of luck and skill - being in the right place the right time AND having the ability to do something about it. Laying a guy off because he hasn't produced a miracle lately is cruel... if anything, that type of behavior would actually *discourage* people from going above and beyond since doing so would set the bar horribly high for the rest of their careers! Not a great way to run a place, IMHO.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:11 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,769 times
Quote:

I agree with the things you're saying - the question is how does this country get out of this mess? Clearly, doing nothing isn't going to work, as we'll fall apart as a country if we do.

The key is to get everyone back to work, being as productive as they can. Nothing else will work, as everything else depends on the population working and earning paychecks and paying Social Security and Medicare taxes, which will be even more critically important in the years ahead.

I don't care *what* has to be done, but it has to be *something* in order to put people back to work again. Maybe we need a policy of total isolation, so we're forced to produce 100% of what we use. Maybe it means running out each and every single illegal immigrant in this country, as well sealing up the borders tight, permanently. Or maybe we need a series of state-owned corporations that has the sole purpose of putting people to work, competing against corporations that seek to reduce / eliminate labor.

It's high time that the American public put our democracy to work and force the government to create an economy that works for all of us, instead of the entitled few.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Intersting question - the awards and such were pretty evenly spread out across my career. I suspect that unless you were a Ph.D. level senior research engineer, they will spread the awards out if they can. There is only so much money to go around for that stuff, and there's probably not enough to even properly award all the performing people each year.

That being said, an ungrateful attitude to people who built the place is common these days. I'm not saying a person should rest on their laurels, but in reality huge accomplishments are usually a mix of luck and skill - being in the right place the right time AND having the ability to do something about it. Laying a guy off because he hasn't produced a miracle lately is cruel... if anything, that type of behavior would actually *discourage* people from going above and beyond since doing so would set the bar horribly high for the rest of their careers! Not a great way to run a place, IMHO.
It's a fine line, people do rest on their laurels sometimes (The mgr I worked with was dissing his boss and quite frankly created the confrontational atmostphere), and corps are in a bind placing limited resources with those who they feel will provide future revenue streams or cost cutting ability, even if it means deep sixing those who provided past revenue streams. Also, in some cases, where someone can invent new revenue streams, the corp has decided to abandon those product lines, very often due to not being able to compete on a more "macro" level w/o straining limited resources. Such is often the case when a corp sells a divison, to someone they formerly viewed as competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment