Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:19 PM

11 posts, read 8,789 times

Advertisements

I was hired on my job almost three months ago for office manager. There were two sales guys there when I started. Following my hire another sales person which is a female got hired. The sales Guy that hired me was instructed to let the other two go because they weren't selling any Lumber. After that they started talking about closing down the warehouse. I was told they need me to keep the paperwork going so I'll be there until the final decision has been made. On 5/25/2012 the Guy who hired me wants me to go and train the sales lady to do my job so she can keep a job. I know that was wrong because he had no reason to end my job other than I'm black and he kept his race working. So do I have a case??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 02:25 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,695,777 times
Can you prove that actions were due to your race? I;m not talking a bit of suspicion, or what else can it be, or but the white person ...... I mean actual proof.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:28 PM

11 posts, read 8,789 times
Yes I can.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:31 PM

461 posts, read 912,110 times
Unless he said "You're fired because your black" I highly doubt it's racially motivated. Just from reading your message, it doesn't sound like you're fired? Have you ever thought they want you to train the other person for another department, or another branch? Or even for your days off?

Why are you so quick to use the race card anyway? Perhaps you aren't working to the employers standards. Perhaps they want to relocate you. Perhaps you are making too much money so they are going to bring in someone who will work cheaper.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,695,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenala View Post
Yes I can.
If you have actual verifiabkle proof that the actions was based on race and nothing else, contact your local office of EEOC and file a complaint. Bring with you copies of the documentation that states they did this or that because of your race. and bring the names of all the other people who knew for a fact that was the reasons and can verify that your race was the reason. Once agian, you must be able to prove that fact based on doumentation.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:55 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,692,774 times
Get proof. Physical proof then get a lawyer

Old 05-30-2012, 03:30 PM

154 posts, read 524,859 times
One reason to end your job instead of a sales person is that it may be easier to cross train a sales person to do office manager tasks while it is more difficult to cross train an office manager to do sales tasks. It may not be a bad idea to try to put this behind you and focus all of your energy on finding another job.

Good Luck!

Old 05-30-2012, 03:47 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,400,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenala View Post
I was hired on my job almost three months ago for office manager. There were two sales guys there when I started. Following my hire another sales person which is a female got hired. The sales Guy that hired me was instructed to let the other two go because they weren't selling any Lumber. After that they started talking about closing down the warehouse. I was told they need me to keep the paperwork going so I'll be there until the final decision has been made. On 5/25/2012 the Guy who hired me wants me to go and train the sales lady to do my job so she can keep a job. I know that was wrong because he had no reason to end my job other than I'm black and he kept his race working. So do I have a case??
Honestly? Probably not. For a bunch of reasons. As I have been through the EEOC process as the employer, I do have an idea what they are going to look for....

1. He hired you and up until now you make no mention of racism.
2. After you were hired, 2 employees who were there previous to you were terminated. Showing that the employer terminates often and also showing that he was willing to keep you there.
3. You say there was no reason to end your job, yet you mention terminations right and left and talk about closing the warehouse entirely.
4. You are training a female to take your position. In deciding EEOC claims of gender and race discrimination, the EEOC WILL look at the race and gender of the current employees to determine a pattern. Not finding a pattern will NOT disprove your case, but it will not help it either.
5. You say you have proof. You need more than "He fired all the minorities". You need in writing preferably, a statement saying that he is letting you go because you are black. Even if you say you have proof, you will likely lose unless you have written proof as all the employer needs is a REASON, ANY REASON that he kept someone other than you. If you have been late even once, that can be the employer's reason. Without the discrimination in writing, or in some cases witnessed by another person who is NOT you, these cases are notoriously difficult to prove.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:53 PM

461 posts, read 912,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny
You need in writing preferably, a statement saying that he is letting you go because you are black.
lol is there any employer even stupid enough to do this?

Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,493,092 times
The race card could last succesfully be played around 1992-93. All cases since then have absolutely no merit. Man up and get another job, it is obvious they don't want you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment