Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:04 PM
mwv mwv started this thread

207 posts, read 673,979 times

Advertisements

So many people over x age (pick your "x") complain about employment discrimination in hiring.

Is it age though or is it just being physically and mentally slow? Almost 1/3 of Americans are obese and a bit over 1/3 more are overweight. As such, only 1/3 are normal weight and even fewer show a lean, in-shape look.

Are people being turned down for jobs because of their numerical age or because their physiology indicates a lack of energy and drive- that they've fallen into habits of mind and body that summarily make them uncompetitive with other, typically younger, applicants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 06:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
That's quite possible. I used to work with a woman who was morbidly obese--she was so heavy she couldn't even reach her feet to tie her shoes or clip her toenails. After she was laid off she had a hard time finding a new job, she was applying at a lot of retail jobs where the ability to bend and stand would have been crucial, and she wasn't getting hired. She was very angry about it and kept saying it must be her age. (She was in her mid-50's but in all honesty could ahve passed for mid-40's.)

Frankly I don't think it was her age at all--many of the places she was applying had workers over 50 employed there--but rather her physical condition and weight. There is no way she would have been able to do the work that would have been required of her--even with "reasonable" accomodation.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,924,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
Are people being turned down for jobs because of their numerical age or because their physiology indicates a lack of energy and drive- that they've fallen into habits of mind and body that summarily make them uncompetitive with other, typically younger, applicants?
Older workers have shown that they have a better work ethic than many younger workers. I think the age thing comes into play because there are more health issues with older workers. If the company demographics show an average age of 25 for employees, someone in their 50's may have a difficult time fitting in and employers can screen them out. Not that it's legal but it happens. As for the quality of work, I'd go with an older worker.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:52 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
For the most part yes it is age see recent thread

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...gling-age.html

I'm an over 50 worker look 40 current on all MS office products etc. type fast and accurate blah blah blah...but when you fill out that application and they want year you graduated from HS and college...they know how old you are.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:27 PM

173 posts, read 968,248 times
The fear is the slow paced worker. I still remember when it took a while for things to be accomplished, meeting this, meeting that, committee this and sub-committee that.
Now everything is, wanted yesterday.
And many mature professionals don't have 21st century skills or attitude to compete with less experienced but technically competent younger individuals.
Also, a single, no dependent individual is considered more productive, thereby working beyond the basic 40 work week.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:31 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
I got my first job at age 17--( worked 19 years there)
at age 45 I got hired a different place ( worked 10 years there)
at age 55 I got hired at my last place ( worked 4 years and retired)

All the jobs involved physical labor and the last 2 places preferred older workers because it was rotating shifts 24/7 and older workers had better attendence records.

On the last job at age 55, I knew I was not as fast anymore as the younger guys,so I knew I had to compensate for it with attention to details,positive attitude, and perfect attendence.

It also helped that I had a terrific shift leader who soon learned everyone's strengths and weaknesses and utilized them to the best advantage on his crew.

Where I think companies have to be carefull is when performance starts dropping off.
Years ago some companies would realize a guy was only 2 years from retirement ( mandatory retirement age ) and would tolerate less performance from a long time employee nearing retirement age.

They can no longer do that because mandatory retirement age is no longer legal ( most cases)

Thus, if an employee in his late 50's or early 60's is " slipping" they better take displinary action because he might decide he wants to stay until age 75.

I had no problem when the law allowed for mandatory retirement age.
It gave younger workers a job and lowered unemployment.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:32 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,008 times
I'm very concerned about age discrimination on my job search. I just turned 45, but have a lean athletic build (i keep in good shape) full head of hair and all. Plus I'm single no dependents, but STILL have to deal with "backdoor" questions regarding my age and marital status. Everyone seems to have a burning desire to know my college graduation date, also the sly questions like" how did your family react to moving from WI to Oklahoma" I know what they are fishing for. Do I let it go or is this something I have a right to address. I also play up the fact that I'm physically active and fit, not to impress, but to show that I won;t be jacking up their healthcare costs, and affecting the profit line. Isn;t it a shame we have to worry about this stuff on top of everything else.
These young hotshots will age also unless I'm being interviewed by Benjamin Button.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:40 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,769,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I'm very concerned about age discrimination on my job search. I just turned 45, but have a lean athletic build (i keep in good shape) full head of hair and all. Plus I'm single no dependents, but STILL have to deal with "backdoor" questions regarding my age and marital status. Everyone seems to have a burning desire to know my college graduation date, also the sly questions like" how did your family react to moving from WI to Oklahoma" I know what they are fishing for. Do I let it go or is this something I have a right to address. I also play up the fact that I'm physically active and fit, not to impress, but to show that I won;t be jacking up their healthcare costs, and affecting the profit line. Isn;t it a shame we have to worry about this stuff on top of everything else.
These young hotshots will age also unless I'm being interviewed by Benjamin Button.
It's because the economy sucks and they can ask all kinds of questions but they are going to hire someone, not necessarily someone who's young.. If I were in charge, I would happily take an athletic non-attached 45 year old, all else being equal. That is pretty rare and highly desirable.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:58 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,372,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
Some people who are older don't learn all the new "stuff" as eagerly or readily as some younger people (I've seen that). So that might be under consideration. Also, the insurance cost of an older person, especially one who is not healthy, is going to be more costly. I know one person who's insurance premiums were around 10k a year. Compared to a younger person who might have cost 2k or 3k.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
For the most part yes it is age see recent thread

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...gling-age.html

I'm an over 50 worker look 40 current on all MS office products etc. type fast and accurate blah blah blah...but when you fill out that application and they want year you graduated from HS and college...they know how old you are.
I'm curious--what type of work are you looking for? I haven't filled out an application for any but the one p/t retail job I held in probably 15 years.

I send a resume, and omit my graduation year. These days I omit high school and just list college, again with no year listed. Between that and only listing my last 12 years of employment (over 10 because of where employment dates lie) it would be pretty hard to pinpoint my age. At the point I am at in my career, in all honesty college is irrelevent, it's my experience that counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment