Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:03 PM

7,470 posts, read 7,055,174 times

Advertisements

Bobtn: Well, all costs are really passed on to the consumers anyway. Either prices go up, quality goes down, or people get laid off. The guys are the top aren't going to feel it.

Funny point about the taxpayer money - when one counts mutual funds and taxpayer expenses, "we the people" probably *are* paying for a lot of this stuff, IMHO.

Soletaire: Good points. For more examples, look at any of Jack Welch's "young apprentices" and the damage they've caused. Nardelli is my favorite. He ran Home Depot into the ground when one look at the long term picture, which somehow made him qualified to run Chrysler - and we all know how that turned out. And yet the average guy off the street would have to pass a 100-question test to work at Home Depot as a cashier and would need a degree and 3-5 years of automotive experience to work at Chrysler. It just doesn't make any sense - these guys are given a free pass and are not accountable to anyone for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 08:06 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,035,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiro499 View Post
You are either a jerk, or not a jerk.

Simple.

I'm going with jerk.
But I'm employed, doing ok for myself, can get a job anywhere and my situation keeps improving:rolleyes

I'm a jerk because I accept the market for the way it is and do everything in my power to get ahead instead of whine like a 3 year old child.

Your logic is astounding.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Veyron: Fair enough, but keep in mind that this nation is filled with the wrecked lives of people who've followed the exact same path as you. It only takes one bad layoff, one illness, one mistake or misfortune to render a person "unemployable" and deserving only of poverty and death in this joke of a system. Please remember that when looking upon the endless lines of people who are begging for a chance and who rightly feel that after doing all they could - all they should - they deserve more than to rot in poverty.

But they don't.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,022,459 times
Quote:
Soletaire: , but if you're a big-wig CEO, it's okay to hop from one completely different industry to another while leaving a trail of ruin in your wake.
Heard that critique when Ford chose Mulally, from Boeing. Think they would have fared better staying inside their dysfunctional industry? Curly, Moe, & Larry could have done better than any D-3 CEO for several decades. The Fords themselves for decades were the worst, IMO.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
But they don't.
You keep telling yourself that.

Nothing can happen to you. You're a hard worker - you keep on learning, gaining certificates, and all that great stuff. Nope, you're above it all, and all those other people out there, well, they must be unemployed because of some personal failing. Surely they didn't work hard, do what they thought was right - or what they were told was right. That's not possible, because if it was, that would mean that something else - somebody else - had control over a man's fate.

No, they can't be out of work because of health problems, age, or even the job market. Nope. In America, everyone always gets exactly what they deserve.

Heaven help you when your karma catches up with you.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
This necessary vs. unnecessary hogwash is a lie. It certainly is simple: too simple - to the point of being an oversimplified outlook on the job market. The question isnt who is necessary or who is unnecessary, the question is who considers you necessary. There are innumerable CEO's and Bankers who tanked their corporations and they certainly would be considered unnecessary by most taxpayers who bailed them out. And yet those same subpar performers step right back into an equivalent role at a different corporation (often after having received bonuses).
Quote:
Soletaire: Agreed. The really funny and sad thing is how the sociopaths and crooks in charge don't have to play by the same rules. It's not surprising, but it is funny. For example, we need to have a 100 question personality test to avoid hiring a bag-boy who thinks for himselves, but if a "captain of industry" cheats the IRS out of $40,000 in taxes, that's okay - he can still be Secretary of the Treasury. Right... because bag-boys caused this Depression, not business leaders.

Same idea with how you need 3 to 5 years of experience in some narrow field to even have a shot at a job, but if you're a big-wig CEO, it's okay to hop from one completely different industry to another while leaving a trail of ruin in your wake. This is either proof that most job requirements are laughably narrow or that the skills required to be a big-shot executive are far less than one might think... in which case, why are we paying them so much?
There's no point in me continuing this debate.

I would like to wish you both the best in your future endeavors.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Heard that critique when Ford chose Mulally, from Boeing. Think they would have fared better staying inside their dysfunctional industry? Curly, Moe, & Larry could have done better than any D-3 CEO for several decades. The Fords themselves for decades were the worst, IMO.
A valid point, and don't get me wrong - I'm not a fan of "echo chamber" industries.

That being said, following the same logic, it would make sense for a big company like Ford to actively look for employees (engineers, etc.) who have years of experience in different industries that might be applied to the auto industry - defense, etc. But that's not the case - you need the narrow automotive experience to get a job there, and that's true across the board at most places these days.

All I'm saying is that the same standards should apply to everyone. If they need a change, than change should be sought at all levels. If they don't want change or different experiences, stop bringing in the latest "CEO of the week" who just got ousted from his previous failure in some totally different industry.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:17 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,022,459 times
Quote:
A valid point, and don't get me wrong - I'm not a fan of "echo chamber" industries.

That being said, following the same logic, it would make sense for a big company like Ford to actively look for employees (engineers, etc.) who have years of experience in different industries that might be applied to the auto industry - defense, etc. But that's not the case - you need the narrow automotive experience to get a job there, and that's true across the board at most places these days.

All I'm saying is that the same standards should apply to everyone. If they need a change, than change should be sought at all levels. If not, stop bringing in the latest "CEO of the week" who just got ousted from his previous failure in some totally different industry.
True, and while different products, Ford and Boeing were both involved in sophisticated mfg. I'd have rolled my eyes if Ford courted Southwest Airline execs who are in a whole different world in terms of what matters. Or McD's. Or Wal Mart. So while o/s the D3, it was not fully out of the box.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
True, and while different products, Ford and Boeing were both involved in sophisticated mfg. I'd have rolled my eyes if Ford courted Southwest Airline execs who are in a whole different world in terms of what matters. Or McD's. Or Wal Mart. So while o/s the D3, it was not fully out of the box.
Exactly. Just using my own example, I worked for 10 years in the defense industry as an engineer. Because of that, I have a solid understanding of what it means to: design and build a quality product, follow and apply manufacturing standards, properly document one's work and follow a process, and properly deal with the environmental requirements mission-critical products must face, be it in the military or an automobile.

And yet people like me get dumb looks from recruiters and HR people who are worried that, "Oh, no - you use a different CAD tool than we do... that might be a problem." Many of them don't even get past that because - horror of horrors - I worked in a different industry, and clearly could never adapt to a new one.

It's just hilarious and depressing to basically be told one day, "Oh, no - you really need specific experience to understand our industry" and then the next day hear about some new executive who was hired from a different (even if related) industry. A double-standard, one might think!

Old 05-27-2012, 08:26 PM

219 posts, read 440,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
But I'm employed, doing ok for myself, can get a job anywhere and my situation keeps improving:rolleyes

I'm a jerk because I accept the market for the way it is and do everything in my power to get ahead instead of whine like a 3 year old child.

Your logic is astounding.
What is Narcissistic personality disorder?

Symptoms include:

Tends to exaggerate their own importance, achievements, and talents
Lacks empathy and disregards the feelings of others
Appears as tough-minded or unemotional
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment