Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:50 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,545,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiro499 View Post
Dude, WHAT DON'T YOU GET!!. ALL OF US on this forum, are part of the 99%, and here we are FIGHTING WE EACH OTHER! JUST AS THEY WANT!!

If we can't even have a basic level of understanding and empathy for our fellow man, WE'LL NEVER SURVIVE this cataclysmic economic shift of wealth and resources from this country to China.

The union and non-union works, black and white, old and young, pension and non-pension, will all be blaming one another. Instead, we should be blaming the people who passed the legislation that SCGranny posted, THEY ARE THE TRUE ENEMY, NOT THE GUY WHO WANTS A LIVING WAGE.

START GETTING INFORMED AND STOP WITH THE VAPID ONE-LINERS.
That is quite the jump to assumptions. Don't worry though as I likely do more than you and most on this board in supporting US/Local products and goods.

Next time you fill up with goods at Wal-Mart be sure to give the cashier your 99% line.

Last edited by Gatornation; 05-28-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 11:56 AM

219 posts, read 440,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
That is quite the jump to assumptions. Don't worry though as I likely do more than you and most on this board in supporting US/Local products and goods.
What is Narcissistic personality disorder?

Symptoms include:

Tends to exaggerate their own importance, achievements, and talents
Reacts to criticism with anger, shame, or humiliation
Lacks empathy and disregards the feelings of others
Appears as tough-minded or unemotional

Old 05-28-2012, 01:17 PM

640 posts, read 1,216,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Vitalaeon: Yes, "No unemployed need apply" is a real policy. If you snoop around online, you'll see that it first was drawn into the public eye in 2010, when Sony Ericsson started flat-out stating this in their job ads. Lots of other places do it, too, and even if they don't officially say this, they can easily filter out the resumes of anyone who's out of work. It's gotten bad enough that in 2011, New Jersey passed a law against job ads that forbid the unemployed from applying. Unfortunately, as with all discrimination, it is really easy for the "job creators" to simply make up some other excuse to refuse to hire the unemployed.

It's a total crook and is based purely upon malice. Logic would dictate that the unemployed are a good choice to hire: they don't have to end their ties with their current employer so they can start work whenever you want, and they will work for less since you don't have to pay them extra to get them to switch jobs. But nasty sociopaths want to punish the unemployed because "they deserve it since they are all lazy, uneducated, and unskilled." People like that will not be swayed by facts... until they end up out of work!
Sociopathic. That's a good description. But it seems not only employers are getting crazy, but regular people are too. We are all turning into a bunch of crazy sociopaths. I think it's part of some programming scheme the powers that be want.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:27 PM

22,010 posts, read 25,367,265 times
150 years ago 80% of the work forced worked in agriculture. Today it's 2-3%. No difference.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:28 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,846,085 times
this is the future

Nine killed in Zambia job-search stampede - Yahoo! News

Old 05-29-2012, 05:27 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,320,614 times
Quote:
Short Term Ideas:

1) End the outsourcing of jobs: I'm sick of the silly nonsense about American's needing to compete with slave wages in 3rd world nations. Unless we're all going to have 3rd world prices for things ($1,000 cars, etc.), this simply won't work. It is always cheaper to hire slaves than to pay people a living wage. So, either we all become slaves (which is what the elite want), or this idiocy ends and we bring the jobs back.

2) Stop rewarding failure: This ranges from idiot government ideas that don't work but must be continued to useless executives who run companies into the ground, collect golden parachutes, and are then immediately hired by a new company to run it into the ground. Look at the leaders at HP as an example, or that nitwit Nardelli, who ran Home Depot into the dirt and was then hired at Chrysler. Seriously, if an executive fails, kick them out. Don't give them a huge pile of money or a new job - get rid of them. That's how they treat the working class, so it seems fair, and since these clowns can destroy entire companies in under a year, all effort should be made to stop their bad behavior if any of us want to have jobs in the future.

3) Stop blaming the victim: Seriously, this nation is in love with this idea. If somebody is sick, it's their fault. If somebody is unemployed, it's their fault. If a natural disaster strikes, is the fault of the people affected. Enough with this! I don't know if this is just a surge in stupidity, a planned reaction generated by the elite who love to divide us, or the natural reflection of the looney "if you think good things, they will happen camp." Because clearly, if bad things happen, it's because the victim wasn't thinking "good thoughts." Right...

Stop trying to punish the old, the sick, and the poor for their condition, and use a little common sense and empathy. It amazes me that the richest nation on the planet is also one of the most cold-hearted among the developed world. Geez... based upon the wealth hoarded by the luckier people, it's clear that there's enough to go around here, if people were willing to treat others like human beings and give them a chance.

5) Without customers, you don't have profits: This ties into the original post, since a huge unemployment rate would mean no customers, and reality is already starting to set in as China is starting to suffer a major slowdown. Yeah, putting your customers out of work has consequences - nobody can buy your crap if they don't have any money! Geez... Apparently, that was never covered in business school... I guess that class was replaced with "how to swindle your investors 101." By the time unemployment hits 50%, the system will already be well into collapse since even the current real unemployment rate of 20% is killing any "recovery" that might have happened. Of course, the "recovery" was a job-loss recovery, which means the only thing that recovered is the executive bonuses. That won't work if we intend to have a functional society in the future.
Wow!!! This whole entire post,every word!Repped!!!!!

The sad fact is though the vast majority are not going to wake up until we're in full collapse mode. The society and economy for all intents and purposes is already done. But enough people are still comfortable that they can't or do not want to see it but that will change in the not too distant future. By then there will be borderline anarchy in society. That's why the government has 400,000+ rounds of ammo ready to go. They know what's comming.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
This is what people do not get it is already happening. Between 2000 to 2007 5 million jobs were automated out of manufacturing alone. That is one sector add up all the other sectors between 2000 to 2012. You most likely are looking at 10 million jobs at least. Add in the 1 to 3 million jobs sent overseas every year you see the problem. Even if we add a million jobs a year it does not help. Because were not even replacing the jobs we lost. We need 1.8 million just to keep up with population growth. We are not even doing that have not in years. Once you add in jobs lost to outsourcing and automation. You would be looking at 3 million jobs a year at least. The growth of part time temp interns freelance. This is the future not good paying jobs. In fact 7 out of 10 jobs will be in low wage service jobs. BLS reports bare this out even the next ten years look bad.
Yep, repped!

We have serious, serious, serious societal endangering problems. The elite know this and are making preparations. They're not going to broadcast this on their television networks but make no mistake, they know and are preparing. Kissinger has said it publically that there are just too many people. And you can be sure the people he associates with agree with him. Now I believe the planet can sustain the amount of people we have but the people who run things can't or do not want to think outside the box to figure out a way to do that. Their solutions are wars and F.E.M.A. camps. WWIII being the crem de la crem as that can reduce the population by 50% or more while the elite are hunkered down in their private islands and underground bunkers.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,648,587 times
Quote:
Intersting question - the awards and such were pretty evenly spread out across my career. I suspect that unless you were a Ph.D. level senior research engineer, they will spread the awards out if they can. There is only so much money to go around for that stuff, and there's probably not enough to even properly award all the performing people each year.

That being said, an ungrateful attitude to people who built the place is common these days. I'm not saying a person should rest on their laurels, but in reality huge accomplishments are usually a mix of luck and skill - being in the right place the right time AND having the ability to do something about it. Laying a guy off because he hasn't produced a miracle lately is cruel... if anything, that type of behavior would actually *discourage* people from going above and beyond since doing so would set the bar horribly high for the rest of their careers! Not a great way to run a place, IMHO.
Maybe I am cold, but I do believe this about my companies and my own self.

I get "rewarded" by getting a paycheck. Sometimes, when I do exceptional work, I get more heavily rewarded.

But that does not mean that the company owes me something the next year nor the following.

I was laid off from my last job-- saw it coming and started preparing so that I was not jobless when my last day happened. It WAS the right decision for the company to do to let go of my product line. They had been losing significant amount of money for some time. Not to mention the morale in my group was deteriorating since we knew we were not able to turn things around. Just because I did some things to save the company hundreds of thousands of dollars a few years before that was not in my opinion a good enough reason to keep me. THAT was my job to do all of those things previously not some sort of implied contract to have the company keep me around regardless.

The company, ironically, would have loved to keep me around. They offered quite a bit of help to find a new position. I chose to not peruse any additional internal opportunities as I wanted to go see somewhere else, finish school. I may return in the next 2 years. I have 7 years to return before I experience a loss in service.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Our labor rate will keep dropping 63.6% now. We mostly likely will hit the 50% mark in 10 to 15 years. That means 50% of us will not be working at all. We may need to work but the jobs will not be there simple as that. Nor will it stop companies from sending jobs overseas. We looking at 25% of our jobs going overseas in the next 20 to 25 years. And just like with CNC workers will decline by 25% in the next 10 to 20 years. This will be happening across the board in almost every sector. We just will not need the workers simple as that. Technology will eliminate tens of millions of jobs and replace them with nothing. The first words out of a CEO's mouth when a new technology comes out. How many workers can I get rid of because of this? Number 2 is will it allow the work to be send overseas? Of the 50% left working. At least 20 to 30% will be underemployed. We will need less labor in the future not more. Business see they can get by with less and pocket the profits. This is why it takes forever to find a job. We just do not need the labor we once did. The million dollar question what happens when 50% of the population has no job? And their is no need for them? We are heading to social unrest at some point. The government will make massive cuts in health care and education at some point. This will lead to massive layoffs in the millions. It is going to be a bumpy ride hold on to your hats.
You got it brother! Hell's a commin'. Who will be prepared?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:54 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,648,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiro499 View Post
What is Narcissistic personality disorder?

Symptoms include:

Tends to exaggerate their own importance, achievements, and talents
Reacts to criticism with anger, shame, or humiliation
Lacks empathy and disregards the feelings of others
Appears as tough-minded or unemotional
Good lord---

You are seriously going to try and "diagnose" someone on this message board that you wouldn't know if he came up to you in the middle of the street as a narcissistic personality or a sociopath?

What I fail to understand is why so many folks on these message boards complain and complain and complain and do little to try and change their trajectories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment