Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 PM

545 posts, read 1,555,918 times

Advertisements

I'm about to graduate college with a finance degree but due to not having gone to a feeder school, not doing enough networking, and etc... I'm pretty much not going to get a real finance job out of school.

What should I do to improve my employability? I don't really mind going into a professional program... but I don't want more student debt and even more time spent studying rather than gaining more work experience. I'm not too passionate about finance anymore especially after so many debacles occurring in the US finance industry. However, I do like numbers and business.

My question is what should I do during my free time to improve my chances of getting a good job? Because even if I do get a job, I'll still have time after work to maybe get a certificate, go to networking events and etc. I want some suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,579 times
Do an internship, volunteer and network. If you are flexible with work hours then do an evening type job.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Going back to school to get my masters.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
don't say "and etc"

but seriously i would start hanging out with more successful people if possible and i would keep up to date on current business news. you might find good info on who may be hiring next. volunteering is also an idea.

Last edited by brocco; 06-13-2012 at 08:00 AM..

Old 06-13-2012, 07:59 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
I'm about to graduate college with a finance degree but due to not having gone to a feeder school, not doing enough networking, and etc... I'm pretty much not going to get a real finance job out of school.

What should I do to improve my employability? I don't really mind going into a professional program... but I don't want more student debt and even more time spent studying rather than gaining more work experience. I'm not too passionate about finance anymore especially after so many debacles occurring in the US finance industry. However, I do like numbers and business.

My question is what should I do during my free time to improve my chances of getting a good job? Because even if I do get a job, I'll still have time after work to maybe get a certificate, go to networking events and etc. I want some suggestions. Thanks!
Maybe sign up for one of the Finance professional exams? (i.e. CFA, FRM, CAIA)

Then join a study group for the exam.. you can network with the people in the study group too.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:59 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times
I'm currently looking for even an internship, with little luck now that I'm not a student. I can't get anyone to respond to e-mails so I may have to call them but I don't want to pester them.

I'm working on continuing to get published. Aside from that, I'm not really sure what else I can do to make myself more employable in my field.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:14 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post

Hi Malkiel! I was in the same situation as you when I graduated from Finance in 2009. I went to a small southern school that noone really knew and wanted to work in Manhattan. Which I currently have been doing.

One option would be to consider moving to another state that is good for entry level professionals. Before I moved back to New York (which is home), I moved to Atlanta and that is where I got my first big break. It was a contract position, but it was experience I was able to add onto my resume. I stayed with family until I was able to get my own apartment.

Before moving to Atlanta, I worked temporarily in the city where my school was (New Orleans) in Finance, but decided to move to a major Finance Hub. I had 5 interviews in Atlanta. 3 turned into offers, but they never seemed to work out for me. They were smaller companies.

Since I've moved back home to NY/NJ I have had the most success. Networking has helped A LOT! I let everyone know I was looking for a job and reached out to organizations and community boards, as many people as I could until I got responses. I randomly emailed people who worked at Nasdaq/NYSE for advice until I got a response, then tried to build the connection.

Continuing school isn't an option for me at this point right now either. So, I've decided to just continue networking and am now trying to start to do some freelance & contract bookkeeping to build my resume and supplement my income. I personally wouldn't do the certifications right now because they don't necessarily guarantee a job after completion. Especially without the experience.

Asking a lot of questions and for career assistance has helped a lot as well. And not having too much pride because everyone needs at least a little help.

Hmm. Also attending galas, dinners, professional magazine events. Introducing yourself to everyone you come into contact with and having business cards made. I had my name on mine with the title "Budding Finance Professional"

I'm working temporarily right now, but it's with a Fortune 500 company and I am learning a lot, building relationships as well as my resume, and praying for a permanent job here.

Most importantly, just remain persistent and never give up. Don't limit your search to job boards, do walk-ins when possible. Start a blog helping your search and advertise it. Look for mentors and latch onto them. Reach out to staffing agencies. Utilize your alumni association and build connections with them. What about your career services department? They may not be able to help with career placement (mine wasn't) but they will with mock interviews, resume help. Do other Finance graduates have standing job offers? Ask them how they got those job offers? What did they do? Do what you have to do! Be serious in your job search and don't slack off.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Im not doing anything to improve my employability. I will not partcipate in the race to the bottom at my own expense and risk.

I am not going tens of thousands of dollars in to debt to get a masters degree like everyone else and their brother seems to be doing. Ive already seen what being knee capped by student loan debt feels like.....Ill pass on that.

Im hoping that I can still hang on in the workforce until I come up with some way to create a business, I die, or there are serious alterations of the US socio-economic system.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:28 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
I'm going back to school-going to work in the medical field ( and no not nursing). No jobs in my field where I live-and I'm over the business world-going back to work in healthcare

Old 06-13-2012, 02:29 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I have an entry level job in higher ed that I am using to gain skills that I could apply to the private sector. In particular, I work in marketing and social media now - but I am working toward an MBA in healthcare management at my university part time. Since I have not formally enrolled, I have maxed out on the classes I can take so I am currently taking an online course on XML and Related Languages in order to get some more teeth in my web development experience. I also plan on taking Intro to Java in the fall so I can get more computer skills. A strong marketing background coupled with strong technical skills and web development experience will make me more marketable within higher ed and other institutional venues (my dream is to work in communications and marketing in a hospital or health-focused nonprofit) as well as in the private marketing firms.

Networking is my weak suit, but I do as much networking as I can. I particularly want to get involved in oncology marketing, and since I'm a young adult cancer survivor, having that street cred really helps me to network, build connections, make a name for myself, and gives me "street cred".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment