Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 06:07 PM

41 posts, read 116,188 times

Advertisements

...after you have completed your 90-day probationary period with the company? If so, how should one go about doing so? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 07:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I would say not at 90 days. We have a 6-month probation and do offer a raise at that time
but that is a more realistic time-frame to determine that the person is fully up-to-speed at the job and no longer a trainee.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenJen2011 View Post
...after you have completed your 90-day probationary period with the company? If so, how should one go about doing so? Thanks!
No. Wait longer. At least six months.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
I am of the opinion that we shouldn't ask for raise. Just my thoughts here. If they think you are worth more, they would have paid you already. If not, then either they don't care about you or you aren't worth more. Either way, asking is not necessary - I'd choose to walk if I have to ask for raise.

A lot of people think raise only happens during review time, it is false.

Raise needs to be earned through taking on more responsibilities and completing tasks faster and better than your peers. Unless you can demonstrate that, you won't get the raise very likely.

I would suggest:
1. Sit down with your manager to review what the expectations are and be very specific. I encourage people to do this on monthly or biweekly basis. "Doing a good job" is very vague. "I want you to increase your product output from the current 100 to 150" is very specific. Be very specific.
2. Ask how you can get to the level and make a specific list of that, typically additional training and responsibilities.
3. Meet or exceed the expectations and complete the list of requirements for you to get to the next level.
4. Keep up the review meeting until your manager says otherwise.

You won't need to ask for the raise if you do this as it will come to you naturally.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenJen2011 View Post
...after you have completed your 90-day probationary period with the company?
Inappropriate for the reasons already opined by other posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am of the opinion that we shouldn't ask for raise. Just my thoughts here. If they think you are worth more, they would have paid you already.
I disagree. There should be no assumption that, "If they think you are worth more, they would have paid you already". The last time that I was an employee, I absolutely loved my job and was happy with my salary for the first two years (and received annual raises based on COL plus a little more). But after I'd settled into the job I took on more and more responsibilities and finally arranged a meeting with my boss to broach the subject of an increase which I felt I deserved. We had an excellent relationship, he very much depended upon me and I presented my case simply and coherently but with the basic thrust that I had way more responsibility than I had when I started the job and felt that a basic salary increase was in order. I didn't demand an immediate answer, was certainly not going to leave if I didn't get an increase but asked him just to think about it and gave him a ballpark figure to mull over.

A couple of days later we had a follow-up meeting and he explained that although he couldn't meet the figure I'd suggested, he agreed that a raise was in order and said he could agree to a figure which was about 1/3 less than I'd suggested. I should add that we weren't talking huge figures by any stretch. I gratefully accepted the compromise as a personal validation and continued to very happily work for the company for the next 8 years. I never again asked for an increase and remained very content with my annual stipend and with the various "perks" which my dear boss passed my way.

But, where the OP's question is concerned, asking for a raise after a mere 90 day probationary period is way out there. Having been an employee and an employer for many, many years, I can't see any situation where that would be viewed by an employer with anything other than negativity.

Now if the OP took the position with the clear understanding that a raise MAY be considered following the probationary period, asking wouldn't be a big issue. I doubt that's the case here.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,184 times
They should have told you upon hiring. If you didn't ask, well, now is a good time to ask, don't assume, ask HR, or your boss, "hey, do you know when employees are eligible for a pay raise? Is it time related or merit related/?? Your not asking for a raise, you're asking when, if that opens the door for conversation and information, great. The only STUPID question is the question not asked,.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,709,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

I disagree. There should be no assumption that, "If they think you are worth more, they would have paid you already". The last time that I was an employee, I absolutely loved my job and was happy with my salary for the first two years (and received annual raises based on COL plus a little more). But after I'd settled into the job I took on more and more responsibilities and finally arranged a meeting with my boss to broach the subject of an increase which I felt I deserved. We had an excellent relationship, he very much depended upon me and I presented my case simply and coherently but with the basic thrust that I had way more responsibility than I had when I started the job and felt that a basic salary increase was in order. I didn't demand an immediate answer, was certainly not going to leave if I didn't get an increase but asked him just to think about it and gave him a ballpark figure to mull over.

A couple of days later we had a follow-up meeting and he explained that although he couldn't meet the figure I'd suggested, he agreed that a raise was in order and said he could agree to a figure which was about 1/3 less than I'd suggested. I should add that we weren't talking huge figures by any stretch. I gratefully accepted the compromise as a personal validation and continued to very happily work for the company for the next 8 years. I never again asked for an increase and remained very content with my annual stipend and with the various "perks" which my dear boss passed my way.
Some good points here. Many employers will try to get away with paying as little as possible, even when your job duties and responsibilities increase. Your boss did a good thing compromising with you, and it sounds as though they got a happy employee in return who was an asset to the company. Too many employers treat employees like they're office furniture, and then wonder why turnover rate is high. Staff morale goes hand in hand with employee production, but many employers don't seem to understand this.

Last edited by Roman77; 11-01-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 11-01-2012, 10:16 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

I guess I should have rephrase it to say "if you haven't earned your raise, don't ask." Probably better. In your case, you certainly earned yours and was appropriate to ask.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am of the opinion that we shouldn't ask for raise. Just my thoughts here. If they think you are worth more, they would have paid you already. If not, then either they don't care about you or you aren't worth more. Either way, asking is not necessary - I'd choose to walk if I have to ask for raise.

A lot of people think raise only happens during review time, it is false.

Raise needs to be earned through taking on more responsibilities and completing tasks faster and better than your peers. Unless you can demonstrate that, you won't get the raise very likely.

I would suggest:
1. Sit down with your manager to review what the expectations are and be very specific. I encourage people to do this on monthly or biweekly basis. "Doing a good job" is very vague. "I want you to increase your product output from the current 100 to 150" is very specific. Be very specific.
2. Ask how you can get to the level and make a specific list of that, typically additional training and responsibilities.
3. Meet or exceed the expectations and complete the list of requirements for you to get to the next level.
4. Keep up the review meeting until your manager says otherwise.

You won't need to ask for the raise if you do this as it will come to you naturally.

If I did that to my boss, he'd give me a raise just to shut me up and get me out of his office.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If I did that to my boss, he'd give me a raise just to shut me up and get me out of his office.
Or fire you for causing him undue pain and suffering ...

I've read many of this poster's responses to employment related questions and, in a working life of 50 years as both employer and employee, find his general philosophy most peculiar and unlike anything I've ever come across from the corporate level down to small business operations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment