Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,987,362 times

Advertisements

I graduated in 2009 and still haven't figured out my recipe to a successful career.

Currently entry-level, I have found out that in today's economy, even the most menial of jobs can be hard to find and interview for.

For the past three years I have experienced some of the toughest situations. And they've only made me stronger. I've networked endlessly, read countless books, participated in cold-calling (and emailing), relocated on more than one occasion, and worked non-related jobs to make ends meet.

I'm still working on successfully entering my field, as there are so many barriers here in the NYC/NJ area. I'm competing with the best of the best. But who says I can't be one of them as well. I refuse to stay anything less than positive.

It's a bit crazy, friends who graduated in 2007 are well on their way to making six figure salaries and I am still trying to hit the $50K mark. Oh well! Maybe I will appreciate it that much more since I am working extra hard for it.

Those who are at the same point as I am, what is your recipe to success? Or what do you think is the recipe to success? Are you commited 100% to your goals? On your way there? Given up?

Just curious.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 08:25 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Be independent. Don't count on anyone else to reach your goals.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,552,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I graduated in 2009 and still haven't figured out my recipe to a successful career.
Those who are at the same point as I am, what is your recipe to success? Or what do you think is the recipe to success? Are you commited 100% to your goals? On your way there? Given up?
nj21, don't lose heart. You graduated only three years ago and feel you've failed because you are only making $50K? I am 56, have had a successful life and working career, and have never made over $63K. Define success.

I agree times are hard, right now, but don't EVER let earnings define your success or failure. You are only a failure if you think you are one.

My suggestion in work is always be enthusiastic in helping others achieve their goals. What you will find is that when you help others, they will find their own ways to help you -- but NEVER let someone think they owe you. Just be helpful, enthusiastic, and ALWAYs demonstrate a CAN DO spirit. (If you cannot do something, learn how you can. If you cannot learn it, figure out another -- ethical -- way to get it done.)

God willing, you have many, many years of working ahead of you to show what you are capable of doing, and if you follow my suggestion you will have many great experiences along the way.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 AM

155 posts, read 244,412 times
Realize the roll that luck plays in success and never work for free.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 AM

154 posts, read 524,723 times
Look for a mentor in your organization. They should be in a senior role and someone who is rising through the ranks very fast. Talk to them and find out what they think it takes to be successful in your organization. Then find ways to execute for them - through projects or small tasks. You can do this informally even if there isn't yet a reporting structure (direct report or dotted line report) - find some pet project that they want done and do it. Eventually find a way (or your mentor will find a way) for you to report to them. You need to align yourself with people like this. If you execute for them they will pull you along as they rise up through the ranks. Eventually you will be able to stand on your own. If you are a female, look for a female mentor. I was able to rise to Sr. Mgmt. positions in 2 public companies this way.

And don't forget to keep working hard. There is no substitute for that. Also keep your mouth shut - A players like the mentor you need to find don't like squeaky wheels.

Good luck.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:57 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post

Currently entry-level, I have found out that in today's economy, even the most menial of jobs can be hard to find and interview for.

For the past three years I have experienced some of the toughest situations. And they've only made me stronger. I've networked endlessly, read countless books, participated in cold-calling (and emailing), relocated on more than one occasion, and worked non-related jobs to make ends meet.

I'm still working on successfully entering my field, as there are so many barriers here in the NYC/NJ area. I'm competing with the best of the best. But who says I can't be one of them as well. I refuse to stay anything less than positive.

It's a bit crazy, friends who graduated in 2007 are well on their way to making six figure salaries and I am still trying to hit the $50K mark. Oh well! Maybe I will appreciate it that much more since I am working extra hard for it.

Just curious.

Thanks!
You seem to be struggling with some internal issues.. I can kinda relate as well.

Nobody and nothing has the right to interfere with your goal to earn more. NOTHING and NOBODY HAS THAT RIGHT. This includes other people as well as your inner gremlins (i.e. limiting beliefs.)

Tell your "inner gremlins" that they can shove it whenever you find yourself thinking negative thoughts or when you feel you have shortcomings.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM

152 posts, read 493,510 times
Be a people person! This trait has opened so many doors for me! I'm a very outgoing and friendly person with everyone I meet, which doesn't usually fit the stereotype of a software developer and I think that has distinguished me a lot in my career.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,475 times
Sucking corporate ****, figuratively, literally, or both.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:37 PM

208 posts, read 318,352 times
Ok, first of all, are your friends making "almost six figures" in the same exact field you're in? If not, than you can't compare apples to oranges. Each field has it's own income averages/limits.

Second, know your strengths/weaknesses. I learned a long time ago I am better at being behind the scenes...can deal with organization, paperwork, management, and tasks all day long, but a people person I'm not. Know your personality. Are you someone people are drawn to or push away from. Why? Take the time to really do some soul searching as this information will be invaluable to your success.

Third - Versatility is key in today's workplace market. Gain as much cross-experience in your field as possible. Even in a menial job, start learning/doing more than you're required. You'll gain more experience and be someone that will be looked at over others in the long run, but be careful - this can backfire if you have a manager/boss that feels threatened by your ambition. This is more of an issue in a corporate setting vs. small business. You want to stay under "jealousy" radar but stand out when it counts. It can help tremendously if you are in a corporate setting and have an honest yet respectful communication with your superior - don't be afraid to let them know that you want to gain the experience, and ask them what they think you can do to grow within the organization.

Fourth - most of the time you have to pay your dues. Start lower, work your way up. Don't settle for long-term mediocrity, but don't be so high on yourself as to think the lower paying jobs are beneath you to begin with(not that I thought you were implying this - just too many college grads today do walk around with that attitude).

Fifth - if you are in NY/NJ area, don't be naive or get disappointed easily. You'll need an armor made of titanium. Persistance and perseverence are highly valued in the end in that marketplace, so hang in there.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:31 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,689,690 times
luck
or knowing someone that is willing to help you get the job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment