Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 04:21 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,076,158 times

Advertisements

So they called you out of the blue and told you you are now the Shift Manager at Pizza Hut? WOW, some luck, most people need to at least apply for jobs before they can get them ...

Good thing you were not working or you would have had to quit the current job ...

I think AJBarney had it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 06:27 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times
I think being "enthusiastic" about a job, for me, would mean that I want to accomplish that particular work, in addition to being employed for money and benefits. That's why I found my two years in a business environment beyond absurd, because I didn't have interest in what the work accomplished.
That said, I've had more jobs/careers than most ten people together, and have not found one where I kept my enthusiasm for the work itself, if I was lucky enough to have any at all.

When I've been unemployed, I've been quite enthusiastic about getting a job, except for the brief stint at the onion ring factory. (true story).

Old 06-30-2012, 10:53 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
So they called you out of the blue and told you you are now the Shift Manager at Pizza Hut? WOW, some luck, most people need to at least apply for jobs before they can get them ...

Good thing you were not working or you would have had to quit the current job ...

I think AJBarney had it right.
Where did you get the idea that they called her, "out of the blue". Where does she indicate that she didn't apply for the job? And yes, she was most certainly unemployed.

The OP is NOT a troll. I happen to have had conversations with the OP so knock it off. Reading comprehension issues are not HER fault, you may cease with the accusations.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:11 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
Look at the bigger picture for a moment. You're working, and able to pay your bills. You can always look for a new job while you're working. It could be much worse, and many people right now would gladly change places with you.

[SIZE=2]http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/the-sharp-sudden-decline-of-americas-middle-class-20120622[/SIZE]

That's False

When you first start a new job you can't look for another job which is why it's important not to accept any job. Do you really think a person can start looking for a job during their 1st 90 days and take off to go to a interview??? So he has to stick with the job for the next 90 days and wait a while before LOOKING for another job. His only way out is telling people is seeking new opportunities and he is able to get a job without a interview.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:40 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
I wouldn't be excited about this job either. I would work hard and learn whatever I could and be a kind and decent boss. I would still be looking for something else.

There's nothing wrong with NOT being satisfied with a job in fast food. I would hazard a guess most people in these jobs are not thrilled. They just show up every day to pay the bills. As far as the enthusiasm goes, pretend. Just like everyone else.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:58 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
There is no rule that you have to be enthusiastic about work. It is a business arrangement. You perform certain tasks and they pay you.
I wonder if the OP pays his bills with enthusiasm? Without a job it's hard to pay the bills.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:05 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,396,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That's False

When you first start a new job you can't look for another job which is why it's important not to accept any job. Do you really think a person can start looking for a job during their 1st 90 days and take off to go to a interview??? So he has to stick with the job for the next 90 days and wait a while before LOOKING for another job. His only way out is telling people is seeking new opportunities and he is able to get a job without a interview.
Since when? Numerous companies respect that an applicant is currently working. If they are really interested, they will schedule a time the other person is able to meet. I have gone to interviews on weekends, at 7pm at night, and on my lunch close to my current work because the prospective employer wanted to meet with me.

And a shift manager job at Pizza Hut, I guarantee the hours are flexible enough OP will manage to find something else and at the very least will manage to go on other interviews in the 1st 90 days, if OP wants to of course.

Not everyone's experiences are the same as yours. At first, I felt for you. But now, you seem to me like the person MOST likely to chime in with why taking a job is the worst thing ever, why it will ruin your life, and to discuss the ways to avoid getting hired in the first place (although with all the refusals you post about why you didn't apply, didn't finish the application, didn't do wel in the interview, etc...I guess you are THE expert on avoiding getting a job.)

OP...go get 'em.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Where did you get the idea that they called her, "out of the blue". Where does she indicate that she didn't apply for the job? And yes, she was most certainly unemployed.

The OP is NOT a troll. I happen to have had conversations with the OP so knock it off. Reading comprehension issues are not HER fault, you may cease with the accusations.

Well when you get hired for a job and you are not happy, logic tells you it wasn't expected, why would you apply for a job you don't want? She should decline, there are at least a dozen others that would LOVE that job.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That's False

Whatever you need to keep telling yourself as a reason you are not looking ... One of them may actually want to hire you.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:12 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Since when? Numerous companies respect that an applicant is currently working. If they are really interested, they will schedule a time the other person is able to meet. I have gone to interviews on weekends, at 7pm at night, and on my lunch close to my current work because the prospective employer wanted to meet with me.

And a shift manager job at Pizza Hut, I guarantee the hours are flexible enough OP will manage to find something else and at the very least will manage to go on other interviews in the 1st 90 days, if OP wants to of course.

Not everyone's experiences are the same as yours. At first, I felt for you. But now, you seem to me like the person MOST likely to chime in with why taking a job is the worst thing ever, why it will ruin your life, and to discuss the ways to avoid getting hired in the first place (although with all the refusals you post about why you didn't apply, didn't finish the application, didn't do wel in the interview, etc...I guess you are THE expert on avoiding getting a job.)

OP...go get 'em.
They respect a person has been working at a place for a while. Why would a person who just started a job in June be trying to sent out resumes?? The OP can't apply for any other jobs right now unless he is not that worried about losing the one he just started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment