Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:38 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,517,568 times

Advertisements

If it's affecting you, then it's hostile. Those bullying types try to force others out to keep themselves indispensable. They try to make it so bad, you'll leave. That's hostile. Work sabotage, name calling, dirty looks, grilling you, withholding information, making you look bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 03:28 AM

753 posts, read 1,483,133 times
Yes and I didn't quit for 5 years. Stupid, stupid. It was my first job and I didn't know to expect to be treated better.

I still get really nauseous when I think of what I went through. And I left that job like 13 years ago.

I recently encountered another job like it and quit after 6 weeks.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,709,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
Backstabbing, unfairly being targeted, and petty things..
Sounds like a typical corporate office to me.....

Old 07-18-2012, 07:02 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,767 times
Quote:
I am currently in a hostile work environment. Have you been in one? If so, what was the situation and how was it (if ever) resolved short of leaving the company or being fired? Were you ever the target?
If management is making life miserable, within legal boundaries, there isn't much you can do except leave.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,357,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
If management is making life miserable, within legal boundaries, there isn't much you can do except leave.

Or get fired. That was what happened to me. After ten years as a secretary in a law firm. The partners seemed afraid of the office bully. The associate they hired became her bosom buddy and just ignored me. They just turned a deaf ear anytime she was nasty or derogatory to me. I'd still get yelled at if information withheld from me (usually by the noncommunicative associate) resulted in problems. They wanted me out of there, no question about it. I learned that the woman who replaced me lasted only ten months. I don't know the details about why/how she left, but I can certainly imagine. I'm so much happier now! I have a new job that I love, where such mistreatment would NEVER be tolerated. It's a school district (where I am off summers) and the no-bullying rule that pertains to the students is also observed by the staff and faculty. The women I work with now (I'm assistant cook in the school cafeteria) are the nicest I've ever met in my life, and we've become good friends. We're a team - we all help each other out when we need it. I've never laughed so much at work in my life.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 07-18-2012 at 09:12 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 09:10 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,357,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
Yes and I didn't quit for 5 years. Stupid, stupid. It was my first job and I didn't know to expect to be treated better.

I still get really nauseous when I think of what I went through. And I left that job like 13 years ago.

I recently encountered another job like it and quit after 6 weeks.
Good for you!!!! Nobody should have to put up with being treated like that. On the few job interviews I went to, after my experience at the law firm, I asked up front about office dynamics. Probably why I didn't get any of those jobs.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:18 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Or get fired. That was what happened to me. After ten years as a secretary in a law firm. The partners seemed afraid of the office bully. The associate they hired became her bosom buddy and just ignored me. They just turned a deaf ear anytime she was nasty or derogatory to me. I'd still get yelled at if information withheld from me (usually by the noncommunicative associate) resulted in problems. They wanted me out of there, no question about it. I learned that the woman who replaced me lasted only ten months. I don't know the details about why/how she left, but I can certainly imagine. I'm so much happier now! I have a new job that I love, where such mistreatment would NEVER be tolerated. It's a school district (where I am off summers) and the no-bullying rule that pertains to the students is also observed by the staff and faculty. The women I work with now (I'm assistant cook in the school cafeteria) are the nicest I've ever met in my life, and we've become good friends. We're a team - we all help each other out when we need it. I've never laughed so much at work in my life.
In your case, being fired was probably a good thing. No job is worth your health.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:42 AM

753 posts, read 1,483,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Good for you!!!! Nobody should have to put up with being treated like that. On the few job interviews I went to, after my experience at the law firm, I asked up front about office dynamics. Probably why I didn't get any of those jobs.
One of the advantages of getting older-being less willing to put up with bad treatment from others.

Smart of you to ask about that, also.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:03 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Quote:
I am currently in a hostile work environment. Have you been in one? If so, what was the situation and how was it (if ever) resolved short of leaving the company or being fired? Were you ever the target?
I went through this for six months, worst time of my life. Still affects me today. Get out as soon as you can. I did everything in my power to resolve it, and nothing worked. Luckily I found another job. No one deserves to work in a place like that.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:11 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,517,568 times
The sad thing is...the bad workers, the alleged "TEAM PLAYERS" keep their jobs. They can drive anyone out, and once they do it, they know EXACTLY how to do it.
And with management SAYING they are promoting team work, they are really promoting the hostile work environment. As long as companies say they won't "tolerate it", on the surface, they don't condone it, but you have managers who rampantly do. In other words, their workers do the dirty work for them in exchange for privileges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment