Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:19 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
You've unfortunately uncovered a brown noser who probably has already established an in. She knows how to play the game. She is either inefficient or incompetent at her job duties, but is able to take enough credit for other peoples, and throw enough people under the bus, that she comes out smelling great. Her greatest asset is kissing ass, and since most managers love their ego being stroked, that makes her look great. This type of person is usually the type on the fast track to management positions.

Unfortunately, she will eventually become your boss, and eventually, you will fall to first on the lay off block. Sorry.
Based upon past experiences, this is typically how it works: brown-nosers who lack any other, useful skills make careers out of stealing credit for work from other people. In short, while you're working, she's kissing up, taking credit, and making management feel special.

Any discussion with management has to be done in a non-confrontational way, but don't expect much - I've see violent thugs, literal criminals, and useless idiots who barely show up to work be given a free pass because they can brown-nose; if the place at which you work is equally mismanaged, you'll end up with a similar lack of action from management.

Keep doing your best, watch your back, and start shopping for a new job, IMHO.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 11:55 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,746 times
[quote=mariali;25240113][SIZE=3]I have been working at the same company for almost two years during which I have enjoyed my role and gotten positive feedback. I have two managers, an overarching higher up team manager and a direct manager. The team manager usually gives me projects to roll out and I have always managed this quite well. Recently a new girl started who is an administrator. I am a coordinator. I have been quite welcoming and helpful with information about work as I know how hard it is to start somewhere new. My managers have started getting the new girl involved in some of the work I do which I thought would be great at first but have noticed that she is starting trying to take things over and get all the credit for it.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]For example, one of the projects that my team manager asked me to do and also include the new girl. I did the planning, brought her to meetings with relevant people etc. she then talks to my direct manager (who is also her direct manager) about it without me and what has been done so far and asks for advice on what she should do next. Without me she goes ahead and arranges everything and then tries to email my team manager saying it has been done.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Another example is I will make a suggestion at a team meeting, everyone agrees it is a good idea and then she pipes up saying she will do the work for my idea. Then once it’s finished she gets the credit for it. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]And the annoying thing is, she asks me constant questions about how to do everything while she’d doing anything. So she is interrupting whatever I’m doing and won’t mention what I helped her with once it is finished. I also noticed she only asks questions when my manager is not around.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

I know this is something you may not want to hear, but I'm going to go with most of the other posters here. She's trying to take your job, and management might be in on it as well. I'd say something to your supervisor about it but realistically, I'm sorry to say that your management might be grooming her to take over from you. It's a shame but management does this all the time, especially in the cubicle farm type of jobs. I'd start looking for a job ASAP.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:50 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,183 times
Yep. I'd be aware that Management may want you gone, particularly if they think they can get from her what they used to get from you at a lower cost. Do you have any skills that she lacks that enable you to provide value she can't? If so, I'd set about demonstrating this, maybe by working on New projects or by proposing plans you can carry out but she can't. In the end, if her work is indeed like yours but cheaper and 2 staff members aren't needed, it's a simple business decision for your managers.

Another thing: when you have done something toward a project that is important or requires skill, cc those who need to know on relevant emails. That way, no matter how she characterizes things in meetings, decision-makers won't be deceived.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:01 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
This type of person is usually the type on the fast track to management positions.

Isn't this the truth!?

Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 17,379 times
If your not "On the Bus", be prepared to be "Run over by the Bus".

Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Why was she hired? Since she doesn't have the same job title as you, it sounds like you two should have different, clearcut responsibilities.

I would go to the manager who is less taken with her "charms" and say something like, "Jennifer seems to be overlapping into some of the facets of my job. Have some of my responsibilities changed? If so, can we define them more clearly?" You should not whine about anything, but just make it seem like the new girl is hampering your work. Also, stop being so helpful, she sounds like a snake in the grass.
I normally don't recommend this but in this case, I would. She is in it for herself. If she had an ounce of class, she would have put both of your names on those projects. She did not. She acted like she did it alone and that is not right. So don't help her anymore...or just a little bit so it doesn't come across as you aren't helpful...cause you KNOW that she will go straight to management with that little whine. Help her a little but don't help her a lot. Let her fail.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,698 times
BobT seems to have the best action for you. Stay nonjudgmental but do nothing to help her. Hope things are going well for you.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Help her a little but don't help her a lot. Let her fail.
Also, you say she's interrupting you when you're busy with a project. Nicely look up and tell her you're REALLY tied up in something right now but, "do me a favor and send me a quick email, tell me what you need to know and I'll get right on it as soon as I have a minute." That way you have it documented that she's seeking advice directly from you and when she claims the favorable result as her own you can easily disprove it.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,173 times
What happened after all this? Just curious because a girl is doing this to me at work also

Old 04-23-2014, 01:56 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariali View Post
[SIZE=3]I have been working at the same company for almost two years during which I have enjoyed my role and gotten positive feedback. I have two managers, an overarching higher up team manager and a direct manager. The team manager usually gives me projects to roll out and I have always managed this quite well. Recently a new girl started who is an administrator. I am a coordinator. I have been quite welcoming and helpful with information about work as I know how hard it is to start somewhere new. My managers have started getting the new girl involved in some of the work I do which I thought would be great at first but have noticed that she is starting trying to take things over and get all the credit for it.

For example, one of the projects that my team manager asked me to do and also include the new girl. I did the planning, brought her to meetings with relevant people etc. she then talks to my direct manager (who is also her direct manager) about it without me and what has been done so far and asks for advice on what she should do next. Without me she goes ahead and arranges everything and then tries to email my team manager saying it has been done.

Another example is I will make a suggestion at a team meeting, everyone agrees it is a good idea and then she pipes up saying she will do the work for my idea. Then once it’s finished she gets the credit for it.
And the annoying thing is, she asks me constant questions about how to do everything while she’d doing anything. So she is interrupting whatever I’m doing and won’t mention what I helped her with once it is finished. I also noticed she only asks questions when my manager is not around.

I’m not sure if I’m being paranoid or if this is something legitimate to be worried about. I can’t actually sleep at the moment thinking about it and I very rarely have trouble sleeping. If anyone could offer any advice on what to do or let me know if you think this is me overthinking things it would be much appreciated.
[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]
From what you've described, you aren't being paranoid. For one stop being so forthcoming, still meet your boss expectations but don't help where don't have too. Don't be so forthcoming with information, give her details about the project after you've done them. Fill her in on things that you specifically want her to do, and nothing on that you want to handle until after you've handle it.
Also takes bobtn advice on how to bring it up to your boss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment