Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:55 PM

65 posts, read 253,333 times

Advertisements

1. For part time, is there part time night shifts as well? Or do they try to give you the busiest part of the day?

2. Can you do double shift? Night shift at one company and then 2nd shift at another? Would you say this job has a high turn over rate or somewhat difficult to break into?

3. I am sensitive to artificial light so are you allowed to have the lights very dim while you are on the night shift? Do you have your own room? Also I am kind of sensitive to having fresh air at all times. I find that I can think better when the windows are opened and I can breathe in the fresh air. Are you allowed to open the windows of the room you are staying in?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 12:59 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingTime View Post
1. For part time, is there part time night shifts as well? Or do they try to give you the busiest part of the day?

2. Can you do double shift? Night shift at one company and then 2nd shift at another? Would you say this job has a high turn over rate or somewhat difficult to break into?

3. I am sensitive to artificial light so are you allowed to have the lights very dim while you are on the night shift? Do you have your own room? Also I am kind of sensitive to having fresh air at all times. I find that I can think better when the windows are opened and I can breathe in the fresh air. Are you allowed to open the windows of the room you are staying in?

Thank you.
1. The busiest part of the day.

2. No, no, yes, yes.

3. No, no, no.

Next?

Old 08-03-2012, 01:09 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Every security job is different and every company is different.

My wife worked security for many years at a few locations.

Some companies do not care if you work another job, some do. some will give third shift to part timers, some wont.

most will not let you do double shift.

yes it can have a high turn over rate and can be very difficult to break into, depending on state, location and company

for all of 3, it depends on company and location.

But since we know you are trying to find easy jobs that you don't have to do much of anything, I can tell you, every company and location my wife worked for, if you were caught reading, napping or doing anything with your phone, it was considered automatic termination, with no warnings.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:23 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
This poster's MO reminds me SO much of another whose name has now totally escaped me. He was a supermarket bagger who created thread after thread after thread in the same vein asking about easy employment in and out of the country from security guard to airline pilot and just about every occupation under the sun. May well be the same person, different handle!

Old 08-03-2012, 01:43 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times

Depends on the company and what they have available.

Depends on the company and their policies. I'd say generally they would be against it. When I worked it, the turnover was low but that was 20 years ago.

Depends on the post.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:48 PM

65 posts, read 151,161 times
It's really impossible for someone to answer these questions for you accurately, because every company is going to be different. You'll be better off contacting security companies around you and applying, then go from there. You could also try posting in the location forum of whatever area you live in and see if anyone can give you more specific information.

Though I've never been a security guard, I would be very surprised if you found a company that allows you to spend time reading on the job. Why would they pay someone to read while they should be to keeping watch? It seems like a liability for them- too much could go wrong on your watch if you're engrossed in a book. I don't think security is the way to go.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:50 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrenter10 View Post
It's really impossible for someone to answer these questions for you accurately, because every company is going to be different. You'll be better off contacting security companies around you and applying, then go from there. You could also try posting in the location forum of whatever area you live in and see if anyone can give you more specific information.

Though I've never been a security guard, I would be very surprised if you found a company that allows you to spend time reading on the job. Why would they pay someone to read while they should be to keeping watch? It seems like a liability for them- too much could go wrong on your watch if you're engrossed in a book. I don't think security is the way to go.
I've worked overnight security jobs where you were allowed to read. Security, particularly overnight security, is mostly about being visible. People were less likely to smash in the front door if there was someone there. Your job was not even to stop them if thet tried to do it. You were supposed to make yourself scarce and dial 911. This is not a military post we are talking about here.

You did have to make rounds every so often and our work was tracked because there were these bar codes you had to scan during your rounds. But for most of the 8 hours you could just sit and read or watch TV.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:29 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I've worked overnight security jobs where you were allowed to read. Security, particularly overnight security, is mostly about being visible. People were less likely to smash in the front door if there was someone there. Your job was not even to stop them if thet tried to do it. You were supposed to make yourself scarce and dial 911. This is not a military post we are talking about here.

You did have to make rounds every so often and our work was tracked because there were these bar codes you had to scan during your rounds. But for most of the 8 hours you could just sit and read or watch TV.
In some places this is true, while others it is not.

My wife worked overnight security at one location, and was more then just a show piece. She had to make rounds, she had to handcuff and detain people. and also had to be ready to shoot if need be.

She also worked at one corporate facility, that she was unable to read or anything of that nature and was busy all night long.

So overnight security is not about being visible in every case, and maybe not in most cases, but can be in some.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM

Default How do I answer these personality questions for a security guard job?

SECTION ONE: WORK PREFERENCE
I work best:
On my own
In a group / team environment
I prefer work that is:
Stable and financially secure (a steady paycheck).
Flexible. Offers variety, perhaps travel, although income is a bit more unstable (paychecks may vary in size).
Unlimited. Where I can make more money if I work harder (no limitations on earnings).
My ideal work environment would be described as:
Calm and quiet
Friendly and fun
Fast paced and challenging
I'm the type of person that:
Prefers routine and stable work. I stick with what I know.
Takes initiative, tries to push themselves, but tries to avoid failing.
Enjoys solving problems and jumps eagerly at new challenges, even if it means failing.
I prefer to:
Work at a steady pace. I like completing one task before moving to another.
Work under pressure. I enjoy multi-tasking.
I would rather:
Win a prize
Be given praise
I enjoy numbers, figures and calculations:
Very much
Somewhat
A little bit
Not at all
I enjoy drawing:
Very much
Somewhat
A little bit
Not at all
I enjoy reading:
Very much
Somewhat
A little bit
Not at all
I enjoy entertaining people:
Very much
Somewhat
A little bit
Not at all
If given the choice I would:
Avoid leadership positions altogether
Work as a team and take turns leading
Assume complete command
Being the best in my field is:
Very important
Fairly important
Slightly important
Not important at all
SECTION TWO: CREDIBILITY
If you noticed a person stealing from the company would you:
Ignore it
Tell someone in charge
Confront them yourself
It's important for me to be on time:
Always
Most of the time
When it's critical
It's ok to be late
A person has to tell the truth:
Always
When it comes to important issues
A white lie doesn't hurt
It depends on the situation
SECTION THREE: PERSONALITY
I spend my free time:
Relaxing
Learning
Socializing
Being physically active
I would best describe myself as:
Quiet and shy, prefers small groups, rarely seeks people out
Talkative and outgoing, enjoys meeting new people
When faced with a challenge:
I rely on instinct to guide my choices
I get creative, curious, think out of the box
I research, learn and analyze
My friends describe me as:
Easygoing, relaxed, like to follow more than lead
Ambitious, competitive, like to lead more than follow
I would best describe myself as:
Formal and reserved, reluctant to get involved in people's problems.
Independent, level headed, will gladly give my opinion and help when asked.
Consultative, caring, empathic, a person who goes out of their way to help others.
I consider myself:
Liberal
Moderate
Conservative
I tend to be more:
Analytical and Factual
Fun and Creative
Inventive and Inspiring
When faced with a big decision, I would likely:
Decide quickly, almost on emotional impulse
Seek help from someone with more experience
Become overwhelmed and indecisive
I would describe myself as a person who:
Plays it safe
Skeptical yet open-minded
A well-informed optimist

Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 AM

Does this company look legitimate? QGE Property Management
The website format looks like typical scam company and the "HR Manager" who emailed me had a weird email that looks like spam email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment