Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:09 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,406,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You're an auditor. Before you show up, we get a little card which tells us how to behave around you.
I know you were mostly kidding here, but the truth is, he is an outsider and as such really can't say how the office works when he is not there as they are not going to be natural when he is there.

Years ago I had a retail job that the manager and I HATED each other. But we sure could be nice to one another when the DM was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 07:08 PM

29,857 posts, read 24,986,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I know you were mostly kidding here, but the truth is, he is an outsider and as such really can't say how the office works when he is not there as they are not going to be natural when he is there.

Years ago I had a retail job that the manager and I HATED each other. But we sure could be nice to one another when the DM was there.
Crap like this is why I will never work in an office ever again. What garbage that other people should be obstacles to overcome in the workplace. If I don't like someone, I will tell it to their face and the entire crew will make no mistake about it.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:36 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,406,789 times
Oh everyone knew it, and you possibly missed that I said it was retail...I am just saying that when push came to shove we were able to act appropriately, as we KNEW what was and was not appropriate...which is my whole point about an auditor likely not seeing the "real" office.

As for telling it to their face, well, I am not sure that is all that appropriate either. You don;t have to love someone, or even like them, to deal with them at work.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:21 AM

29,857 posts, read 24,986,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Oh everyone knew it, and you possibly missed that I said it was retail...I am just saying that when push came to shove we were able to act appropriately, as we KNEW what was and was not appropriate...which is my whole point about an auditor likely not seeing the "real" office.

As for telling it to their face, well, I am not sure that is all that appropriate either. You don;t have to love someone, or even like them, to deal with them at work.
Yes, in retail, squabbles can potentially have a direct impact on the services provided to customers. There is much greater emphasis on behaving appropriately. What I dislike about my experience in an office was people sometimes do act inappropriate, and they become obstacles in the workplace. No office can have 100% productive, high quality employees. You have to work with what's available, and sometimes, that includes less that desirable workers. It becomes the highly productive workers jobs to carry their slack, and deal with their incompetence.

As for my "telling it to their face"... I don't mean if I don't like them personally. I mean if they are lazy, disrespectful, arrogant without cause, or a general disturbance to others. Everyone must make an effort to contribute and carry their weight. The ones that don't really irritate me.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:37 AM

676 posts, read 1,263,195 times
To me, office social is a weird hybrid. There are people who will be friendly to you & then use anything you tell them against you. That's why I keep it light & superficial. I'm not into sports. I work with 2 other women. We will talk about pets and clothes, cosmetics, food and occasionally current events and pop culture.

Personally, I'd rather just do my work and not bother with that. But if you don't socialize somewhat, people think you have a bad attitude and you'll hear about that during your performance review.

Several of my closest friends I've met through my jobs. But I know the difference between co-workers and friends. At my place of employment, they're very into socializing to improve morale. They sometimes plan events for after work and on the weekends. I don't dislike the people I work with. Most of them seem nice enough. But I know I can't really kick back and unwind with them the way I can with my friends. I spend all day/week making light, superficial conversation with colleagues on top of getting my work done. Why would I want to give up what little free time I have left when I could be spending that with my friends and family?

Old 08-19-2012, 10:50 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,496,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I notice blue collar workers do tend to be a lot more "down to earth" than white collar workers.

Probably because all of you are roughly on the same level, and are too busy working most of the time.
Yeah those blue collar peeps really burn the candle at both ends! I've got 16 days off this month, 17 last month, jeez they are really putting the screws to me. There are 750 others just like me here, so when I call out sick I don't get 15 phone calls about how to do XYZ! It's really a pretty tough life. I don't know how those white collar people do it only getting 2 days off a week. Must be why they are so bitter and unhappy and not "down to earth". Plus they are always looking over their shoulder trying to dig the knives out of their backs that their co-workers threw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment