Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,198 times

Advertisements

If employers get the dirt that I've been disabled in my lifetime will I be facing discrimination or lack of promotions in the workforce? I became kind of frantic for a job (emotionally insecure upbringing, didn't have a mother) and let people bully me..I didn't use common sense or play my cards correctly and thought I could just dive right in. I told a couple recruiters I had a disability while job seeking, and I was helpless - not using my head. I am humbled, because I know what it feels like to be african american, but I'm a caucasian.. how much discrimination am I likely to face? What's so different about government support vs someone's family supporting them? Why am I considered a minority or less than others? Apparently every disabled person I know had a mom educating them and teaching them common sense practices..like using the PASS program, getting vocational training..You know, a smooth and private transition. It sucks because I had a really nice resume and I'm pretty much destroyed. All my work went to waste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 11:14 AM

640 posts, read 1,215,109 times
I have a disability (I consider it more an impairment). Unfortunately yes can be discriminated against. Unemployment is a constant struggle for disabled people, even in so called "good times". What normal people are dealing with now is what disabled people have dealt with for decades. If you have an invisible disability that people can't see unless you told them (like me), it's even worse because if you thought you had a case for discrimination, you are left wondering if you were discriminated against. Also you can't prove it unless you had a video camera or tape recording of the incident. Overall when you look at all the issues the disabled face and then you see people who are against any kind of safety net, it makes you wonder what people are on.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:06 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
I have a disability (I consider it more an impairment). Unfortunately yes can be discriminated against. Unemployment is a constant struggle for disabled people, even in so called "good times". What normal people are dealing with now is what disabled people have dealt with for decades. If you have an invisible disability that people can't see unless you told them (like me), it's even worse because if you thought you had a case for discrimination, you are left wondering if you were discriminated against. Also you can't prove it unless you had a video camera or tape recording of the incident. Overall when you look at all the issues the disabled face and then you see people who are against any kind of safety net, it makes you wonder what people are on.

You learn to dance around it, and keep it "off the books"

My father had high blood pressure, which was controlled with medication. He did construction/heavy equipment operation. If they knew, he could have lost his license. The license stipulated he was NOT to operate heavy equipment while on certain meds, such as blood pressure meds, although the BP med did not affect him. At least not any more than the construction workers high on pot, etc.

Dad simply filled his RX through the VA and managed to keep it off his work record. But nowadays, every pill you take is flagged, through computerized records.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:09 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discriminated View Post
If employers get the dirt that I've been disabled in my lifetime will I be facing discrimination or lack of promotions in the workforce? I became kind of frantic for a job (emotionally insecure upbringing, didn't have a mother) and let people bully me..I didn't use common sense or play my cards correctly and thought I could just dive right in. I told a couple recruiters I had a disability while job seeking, and I was helpless - not using my head. I am humbled, because I know what it feels like to be african american, but I'm a caucasian.. how much discrimination am I likely to face? What's so different about government support vs someone's family supporting them? Why am I considered a minority or less than others? Apparently every disabled person I know had a mom educating them and teaching them common sense practices..like using the PASS program, getting vocational training..You know, a smooth and private transition. It sucks because I had a really nice resume and I'm pretty much destroyed. All my work went to waste

I have RA--rheumatoid arthritis, and have experienced job discrimination. I also made the same comparision---now I know what its like to be a person of color, other than white, whatever is the PC term now. I also fell the sting of being "different".

Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 PM

Just think of all the disabled people out there who want to work but are being denied a chance. That includes discrimination too. Naturally these people are going to have no choice (keyword NO choice) but to apply for a disability stipend. Then they have to wonder how they are going to transition themselves. I put myself in that category. But the general public is mostly against safety nets, and says that anybody on them is a lazy, frauding, loser, scumbag, etc. It's all generalizations and lies. So why won't this disabled person stop using their disability as a crutch and find a job? Well what if the disabled person is NOT using their disability as a crutch, but is another victim of employers? Just a thought. Of course, they'll try to come up with all their little excuses to justify the injustices and the evil acts they are committing. Oh no, no though, I know, they are just lazy right? right?

No bonehead, you have it backwards. I want to work, but your darn system and employers are denying me. I did my part in applying for the job, your employers aren't doing their part. If you don't want safety nets, you are going to have to change the system. So go do it. We are waiting.

I've been waiting for my $8.00/hr job since I was 18 and allowed to work. But no, I forgot I'm the "lazy" one.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:51 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,757 times
Quote:
Just think of all the disabled people out there who want to work but are being denied a chance. That includes discrimination too. Naturally these people are going to have no choice (keyword NO choice) but to apply for a disability stipend. Then they have to wonder how they are going to transition themselves. I put myself in that category. But the general public is mostly against safety nets, and says that anybody on them is a lazy, frauding, loser, scumbag, etc. It's all generalizations and lies. So why won't this disabled person stop using their disability as a crutch and find a job? Well what if the disabled person is NOT using their disability as a crutch, but is another victim of employers? Just a thought. Of course, they'll try to come up with all their little excuses to justify the injustices and the evil acts they are committing. Oh no, no though, I know, they are just lazy right? right?

No bonehead, you have it backwards. I want to work, but your darn system and employers are denying me. I did my part in applying for the job, your employers aren't doing their part. If you don't want safety nets, you are going to have to change the system. So go do it. We are waiting.

I've been waiting for my $8.00/hr job since I was 18 and allowed to work. But no, I forgot I'm the "lazy" one.
AS I have told you before, if you are applying and not getting hired, then you need to change the tactic you are using to apply.

However, as the opportunity to complain about discrimination is more attractive than doing what it takes to get the job, the cry of discrimination will be loud and clear but the alternative ways to find a job, ways to figure out how to get hired, etc will be missing.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
My Mother has been disabled all of her life and has never once been turned down for a job or a promotion because of her disability but she has never used her disability as an "excuse" to not work. She is retired now thank goodness and enjoying her life spending time with her friends, volunteering at various agencies, spending time with her grandchildren and great grandchildren and just moving forward in her life and wouldn't you know it she STILL has that darned ole disability.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
I have taken a different approach with my disability. I had cancer, and rather than hide it, I am ridiculously open about it. If you Google my real name, you get 4 or 5 pages of interviews, speaker announcements, my blog, and guest blog posts where I speak about my cancer, young adult cancer and illness advocacy, healthcare regulations, etc. Because I could relapse at any time and would need significant time off of work for chemo, a stem cell transplant, and the 6 months or so of isolation after a transplant, it behooves me to be open about it because I need to know that a future employer will be flexible (ie letting me work from home/chemo/the hospital on my laptop rather than making me come into the office, understanding that I *will* get every illness that comes around the office). I cannot work in an environment where people are made to come to work when sick - because I will get sick, and generally 3 or 4 times worse. My current employer sends people home on a regular basis - something I appreciated before I even heard the word "immunocompromised".

Since I was diagnosed less than 6 months after starting my first job out of college, I have a bit more flexibility with where my career goes. Using my cancer story, I have been able to secure volunteer fundraising and speaking work within many cancer and healthcare related nonprofits, hospitals, and local colleges. I work in higher ed fundraising/communication, which tends to be a gentler industry, so being able to show off my writing skills through my blog and speak publicly about a topic I am passionate about does not hurt me and may also help me transition into a more health-based industry. In fact, I have gotten increased responsibility and creative license in my current job because my supervisors have seen what I could do in my volunteer life.

Many of my other young adult cancer friends have found work in cancer nonprofits, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, etc because of their openness. Several of the nonprofits I work with will only hire survivors - and I'm sure other disabilities have organizations that show similar preference to those who have gone through it or are going through it.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
AS I have told you before, if you are applying and not getting hired, then you need to change the tactic you are using to apply.

However, as the opportunity to complain about discrimination is more attractive than doing what it takes to get the job, the cry of discrimination will be loud and clear but the alternative ways to find a job, ways to figure out how to get hired, etc will be missing.
They've made it impossible to get even the lowest of the low job you can think of. You have no clue about any of this stuff. I'm the one who spends hours looking for jobs to apply to. I should not have to take a psycho eval that asks questions that are irrelevant to the job and blocks or deletes my application from going to the manager (who wouldn't call me anyway). Those psych evals should be illegal. But what do you care.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:08 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Quote:
They've made it impossible to get even the lowest of the low job you can think of. You have no clue about any of this stuff. I'm the one who spends hours looking for jobs to apply to. I should not have to take a psycho eval that asks questions that are irrelevant to the job and blocks or deletes my application from going to the manager (who wouldn't call me anyway). Those psych evals should be illegal. But what do you care.
Who is this "They" you keep referring to? You sound like there is some mass conspiracy to keep you down because you have a disability.

Well ... I have a moderate hearing loss, unable to drive and facial features that has given folks the mistaken idea that I have cognitive disability issues (which I don't). I live in car-centered Southern California and commute 40+ miles each way to my job. I have never been unemployed in the past 13 years since I graduated with my bachelors degree. I also worked my buns off pursuing a masters degree in my dream field while holding down a full-time job all without a car in an area where mass transit is not all that great. After receiving my masters degree, I currently work in a super competitive field where the job opportunities are few and far between but yet, been doing this job for five years now. What makes my situation different is that I don't allow my disability to become an issue in employment and my employers know that they can count on me to consistently be there and exceed expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment