Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 08:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
If you have family in the US, moving to India is not necessarily a viable option.
I understand it being a less viable option if your significant other is working here (in which case, there's money coming in). Otherwise, they can accommodate families in India as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
On the one hand it is better to take a 20% pay cut than 100%. On the other, the laid-off usually get unemployment pay for a while. Since the "lucky" ones get to keep their full paychecks, their spending power equals the entire amount that the entire workforce would get under the reduced hour scenario, plus the not-so-lucky spending their unemployment pay. Of course that is no excuse for politicians to sit on their fat congressional seats while failing to address the problem.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:06 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,896 times
Everyday thousands of people give up looking for work. What happens to them?

1. move in with friends or family
2. homeless on street
3. suicide

I haven't given up but I'm also very knowledgeable about the situation we are in.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:19 PM

632 posts, read 1,180,401 times
I'm not an economist or a Ivy League graduate so excuse me if what I say makes no sense. What if the government did the following to lower the unemployment rate:

1.) Shut off ALL and ANY loopholes that companies have as far as tax avoidance goes.

2.) Offer companies that higher an X amount of workers a certain percentage in tax reduction depending on how many people they hire (the more they hire, the bigger the tax reduction).

3.) Lower the corporate tax rate to keep it competitive with the rest of the world.

4.) Give tax cuts to companies who bring back outsourced jobs in addition to #2.

Yes, these are broad and probably have holes in them but if we can get people hired and working, the government can tax those incomes and offset the tax revenue losses from corporations.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
I'm not an economist or a Ivy League graduate so excuse me if what I say makes no sense. What if the government did the following to lower the unemployment rate:

1.) Shut off ALL and ANY loopholes that companies have as far as tax avoidance goes.

2.) Offer companies that higher an X amount of workers a certain percentage in tax reduction depending on how many people they hire (the more they hire, the bigger the tax reduction).

3.) Lower the corporate tax rate to keep it competitive with the rest of the world.

4.) Give tax cuts to companies who bring back outsourced jobs in addition to #2.

Yes, these are broad and probably have holes in them but if we can get people hired and working, the government can tax those incomes and offset the tax revenue losses from corporations.
I agree with number 3 and 4. Don't know enough about 1 and not so sure I agree with 2.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:38 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:

The thing is the tax credits would have to be equivalent to how much cheaper it is to hire Asian and Mexican workers to do the same work.

The fact of the matter is a person in a factory making $25/hr in America can't possibly compete with someone who's willing to work for $2.50/hr or less in Mexico or China.

Beyond that, there's the issue of how these companies will be penalized if we do give them these tax cuts and they don't create any jobs, because that'll mean less tax revenue for the federal government to maintain all of the very expensive infrastructure it has in place.

I'm in complete agreement with suggestion #1 of course, Suggestion #2 and #4 aren't practical.

As for Suggestion #3, no corporation in America pays the marginal 35% rate. The corporate tax in America is choke full of so many loopholes that many corporations end up either having no tax liability at all (which is BS) or an effective rate lower than what corporations in most other countries pay.

Honestly, as much as major shareholders of these large corpraotions whine about taxes and regulations in America, at the end of the day it's all baseless rhetoric because they would never want to live in hellholes such as New Delhi or Mexico City, where the air/water is deadly, everyone's cramped on top of each other and crime is rampant. Those places make America's major cities Americans whine about look like paradise in comparison. That's why even today all of the world HQs are still in America.

Last edited by 313Weather; 09-15-2012 at 09:52 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 10:28 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The thing is the tax credits would have to be equivalent to how much cheaper it is to hire Asian and Mexican workers to do the same work.

The fact of the matter is a person in a factory making $25/hr in America can't possibly compete with someone who's willing to work for $2.50/hr or less in Mexico or China.
Not true at all. The $25/hr factory worker simply has to produce 10 times more than the one in China. Being that we manufacture 18% of the world manufactured goods, businesses are doing what they have to do to adapt. That also requires the factory worker learn new skills that are relevant in this changing world. Apply that logic to every profession, and that is how economies as a whole adapt. America is going to have some growing pains, and we may have to contend with systemic high unemployment for a period of time, but you have no choice. Economies have always had to adjust. Sure, it was hard on the buggy whip maker when people started buying cars, but that just meant he was free to utilize his time in another more relevant occupation.

Trying to stop this transition with tax incentives only stalls the drive to innovate better and more competitive ways to get the job done.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I am a double major (one of which is economics) graduate from an Ivy League university and I'll add my two cents here.

Quote:
The tax code is full of loopholes. These loopholes exist for both corporations AND INDIVIDUALS. ALL these loopholes should be closed. This includes everything from the farm equipment deductions that businesses use to purchase large executive SUVs to mortgage and child tax deductions individuals use.
Quote:

No. Tax incentives for hiring is not going to solve the real problem... which is demand. This is a loophole in the making.
Quote:

Absolutely agree.
Quote:

This is silly. Insourcing everything is a very inefficient way to operate. If we want to remain competitive on both, a micro and macro level, we need outsourcing.
Quote:

Old 09-15-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I'm in complete agreement with suggestion #1 of course, Suggestion #2 and #4 aren't practical.

As for Suggestion #3, no corporation in America pays the marginal 35% rate. The corporate tax in America is choke full of so many loopholes that many corporations end up either having no tax liability at all (which is BS) or an effective rate lower than what corporations in most other countries pay.
I'm pretty sure that he intended for #1 to be a prerequisite to #3. Thus the loopholes would no longer exist.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:35 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is silly. Insourcing everything is a very inefficient way to operate. If we want to remain competitive on both, a micro and macro level, we need outsourcing.
He meant offshoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment