Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:57 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Definition of salaried, he can come and go as he pleases. Federal doesn't say he isn't entitled to a lunch break, it only states he won't get compensated for it. You need to understand what you are reading before you try to give out half baked info.
I'm sort of a gray area, since I'm an "exempt" "professional" employee. I am paid on an hourly basis, but do not get time and a half, just straight time, and even that is at the discretion of the employer. They sometimes give us a hard time about trying to collect "straight time" "overtime" pay. I don't punch a literal timeclock, but I am expected to work during working hours. Remember, I was reprimanded once for being a few minutes late to work when I worked until 1 AM the previous night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
No the real shame here is that there are people like you who will kiss the bosses ass and now the employer expects that type of behavior (legal or not) from everybody.
Yes!!!! That is exactly the point that I have been trying to make! The problem is not so much the employers, but rather the employees who act like doormats, which pressure everyone else to do the same!!! Glad that FINALLY somebody understands what I have been saying all along!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You might be better off finding an hourly job...

And yet again, you were missing the boss's point. The point was that performance was poor. He couldn't care less about the lunch break. Stop reading about what is legal or not and do the job well.
The OP said he was meeting his numbers. Even if he wasn't, that doesn't put the employer above the law.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:08 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I'm sort of a gray area, since I'm an "exempt" "professional" employee. I am paid on an hourly basis, but do not get time and a half, just straight time, and even that is at the discretion of the employer. They sometimes give us a hard time about trying to collect "straight time" "overtime" pay. I don't punch a literal timeclock, but I am expected to work during working hours. Remember, I was reprimanded once for being a few minutes late to work when I worked until 1 AM the previous night.
Keep your resume updated and be on the lookout for another job. Being reprimanded for being a few minutes late when you worked until 1am the night before is not a good sign of a rational and reasonable boss.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:08 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
So you are saying that in the US, if you are an "exempt" employee, you are still entitled to a lunch break, but it doesn't have to be paid? Sounds reasonable. I've never heard of anyone being paid for a lunch break anyway.
Actually, after further research, NO employee (exempt or non-exempt) is LEGALLY entitled to lunch breaks according to Federal Law.

However, any breaks that are provided (ranging from 5 to 20 minutes) must be paid...

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Work Hours - Breaks and Meal Periods

Now in Illinois, all employees who work longer than 7 1/2 hours are LEGALLY entiteld to a 20 minute lunch break (exempt or non-exempt). However, the law for breaks refers back to federal law (there is no laws for breaks in Illinois), which says no employee is legally entitled to breaks, but if they do receive breaks the breaks must be paid.

IDOL

Old 09-18-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Keep your resume updated and be on the lookout for another job. Being reprimanded for being a few minutes late when you worked until 1am the night before is not a good sign of a rational and reasonable boss.
Actually, for other reasons I'd prefer to stay at this job. Every boss has his/her idiosyncrasies.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Actually, after further research, NO employee (exempt or non-exempt) is LEGALLY entitled to lunch breaks according to Federal Law.
Can they ban you from eating while you work?

Like I said, I have never been given a hard time by a boss for eating lunch (whether during a break or while working), but I have equals who skip lunch mildly tease me for eating lunch. I'm just wondering what will happen if one of these lunch skippers ever become my boss.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
If you are good and meeting your numbers, I would quit. Sales people bring in the revenue. Good sales people are hard to find.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:59 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
I think it is quite sad that so many posters seem to think that the OP shouldn't be allowed to take a lunch break. Eating at a desk or grabbing a snack bar just doesn't cut it. According to some of you guys you work 80 hours a week and never, eat, drink, use the bathroom, speak or blink the entire 80 hour work week....no thank you!

Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I think it is quite sad that so many posters seem to think that the OP shouldn't be allowed to take a lunch break. Eating at a desk or grabbing a snack bar just doesn't cut it. According to some of you guys you work 80 hours a week and never, eat, drink, use the bathroom, speak or blink the entire 80 hour work week....no thank you!
Gonna have to rep you for that. It's unbelievable what some people on here expect us to do and we should be GRATEFUL for it, while we're at it.

We are human beings, we are not robots.

I can't wait until we all get so fed up we revolt en masse or the tables finally turn once again in the employees' favor because a WHOLE lot of companies are going to be getting theirs in return, three fold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment