Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 07:40 AM

9 posts, read 10,172 times

Advertisements

This is random but I wanted to poll the audience to see if anyone had experience with this. I am a senior audit accountant who just recently started with a national firm. Many of our clients include city governments. I heard from a coworker that I should expect to work every Saturday from October through the traditional end of busy season in April. Has anyone had this experience or even heard of this before? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc1186 View Post
I heard from a coworker that I should expect to work every Saturday from October through the traditional end of busy season in April. Has anyone had this experience or even heard of this before?
I used to work with people from one of the big 8 (when they still were 8), and they had the reputation of driving their young associates to work long hours. It was expected if you wanted to be promoted. Didn't they discuss this with you when you were hired?

Old 09-22-2012, 08:16 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
I'll never get some companies obsessions with hours versus results. I don't care how many or how hours my employees work as long as their achieving the desired results. I pay people to do a job, not sit at a desk.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:38 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
I have been a tax accountant my whole career so far (5 yrs) and have friends who have done auditing. Yes, that sounds about right....you will likely be working many weekends for months on end. It sucks. I used to work for Deloitte several years ago, and we had to work about 10 weekends per year, of course, with no overtime pay. 14-hour days was the norm. It permanently burned me out, career-wise, and now I am a huge advocate of work-life balance and cringe at the idea of working any more than 40 hours per week. Personally, I think we need a federal labor law in this country that requires employers to pay overtime for hours in excess of 40 hours per week. And even 40 hrs per week is slightly much, IMO, and certainly isn't health for the human body. I'm only 28 years old and now suffer from occasional carpel tunnel syndrome and have some back and joint issues from sitting on a damn chair in front of a computer ALL day and using my right arm to control a mouse, in addition to typing on a keyboard. NOT healthy. I can't imagine what I will have to go through in 30 years from now.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:02 AM

139 posts, read 355,605 times
I worked for KPMG many years ago and we worked longer hours during the "busy season" but not every weekend for months on end. It doesn't mean that you wouldn't be, but whoever said this may be exagerating. Suck it up as long as you can to become a CPA, and then leave for greener pastures in the private sector. I left KPMG as a senior audit supervisor (step just below manager) and made more money, got better benefits, and learned more about businesses after I left. But I would do the same thing over again, because nothing is better on an accountant's resume than a CPA with a international or national firm. It opened up endless great job opportunities. Good Luck!

Old 09-22-2012, 02:14 PM

41 posts, read 78,789 times
I did audit for a few year out of college...if you get assigned on a big account, in Oct you start the audit 3rd Q, which rolls right into the yr end audit. It can go to March/April. I dont recall doing Saturdays too often at Deloitte, but the weekday hrs were long. Then I went to law school.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 PM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Because this is not related to CT I am moving this to the Work forum. JayCT. Moderator

Old 09-23-2012, 08:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I am at a public agency, and we are audited internally, by the state auditor, and by a big firm similar to yours (perhaps the same). I don't know why any particular time of year would be any busier than another based on the audits I have endured.
They can come at any time and are not going to have any of our records or staff available on weekends.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times
A number of my friends work with big accounting firms and results vary. If you're lucky, then you work 40 hours/week most of the year and 50-60 during busy season. If you're unlucky, you work 50-60 most of the year and 70-80 busy season. And of course, they don't pay overtime. The worst case that I know of--and this is an extreme case--is someone from PWC who had to work 55 days in a row during busy season, many of those days from 9 AM to 2 AM.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
A number of my friends work with big accounting firms and results vary. If you're lucky, then you work 40 hours/week most of the year and 50-60 during busy season. If you're unlucky, you work 50-60 most of the year and 70-80 busy season. And of course, they don't pay overtime. The worst case that I know of--and this is an extreme case--is someone from PWC who had to work 55 days in a row during busy season, many of those days from 9 AM to 2 AM.
I think I would die!

I agree with the person that said you start with the Q3 and roll into year end. I work for a City agency and our year end is actually Sept 30. We will have auditors here from next week through the end of the year. Maybe your clients have the same year end as us, after which you move on to those that have a Dec 31 year end in addition to the regular Jan-April busy season. And then, possibly not many companies that your firm works with have fiscal year ends in March and June...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment