Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:41 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
And I respectfully disagree. Unless you are the person with the cure for cancer, no one is non-replaceable.
If one is at a small company with 20, 30, 40 or so employees total, there often is not a lot of overlap of tasks. If anything, those are companies where the people are wearing a lot more hats than they would at a large corporation with hundreds (or thousands) of employees and, hence, tend to be more vital than one cog in a large machine.

Quote:
Show me a business where one persons function is soooo important they cant take a few days off, and Ill show you a business that is going to fail in a year.
I would agree with this point, but it is not really relevant to this conversation. The point here is not that a person, "can't take a few days off'," but instead it sounds like there is a particular deadline / timeframe around a specific project - which is different. I have worked for companies small and large and it is not uncommon for a company to reject / disallow vacation time around a particular deadline when they need all-hands-on-deck (or at least the primary hands).

For example, my company is very good about vacation time (my wife and I usually take 3, 1-week vacations every year). But if I know that the data for one of my projects is coming in on, say, March 1, and a final report for that project needs to be drafted and finalized by March 21, then yes, I need to be available during that three-week timeframe. Its not that I can't take time off from work, its just that I can't take time off during those few weeks because I am the person in charge of driving that final report and no one else really can take my place, in large part because I do work for a small, start-up company with about 40 employees - someone can field calls and questions from clients while I am out of town, but I'm ultimately in charge of the final product so it makes sense that I am available to make sure that product is properly finalized.

Quote:
You know what, if Im that valuable . . . Pay me what YOU are being paid
Don't know about you, but I am fairly well compensated for the work that I do. And trust me - those at the top of the company food chain who are getting paid the big executive / CEO bucks are the ones who put in the long hours and often work even while on vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I've worked for several companies who approve leave and then try to guilt you out of taking leave. Here's what I do: I plan my vacation, get it approved, and then never mention it again. When I leave I set up my vm and email outgoing messages that I'm on vacay and the date I'll return. Above all, I NEVER ask for leave or bring it up again once I have approval (incidentally, approval is in writing and posted on a company calendar).
You seem to be missing a key point of the OP's initial post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I am in charge of the review, so I am key to be there.
Maybe if you are just one of the masses in your company with no key responsibilities, then it is quite possible that you can just not bring it up again and slip out the door. Not everyone is a generic, low-mid level employee at a large company.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Actually, I didn't know about the review date when I was hired. I asked for the time for my wedding and the time for the April trip WHEN I ACCEPTED the job. It was approved. THEN I find out that the review is during that time frame. They say they will use the exclusion dates, and not to worry...and now this....

And, again, go have a chat with your manager(s) / boss(es) about the situation. No one on an internet message board is really going to be able to help you out. Go sit down with the people you need to talk to, explain the situation, and you all should be able to work it out like professional grown-ups. Maybe the review dates can be moved a few days around your schedule. Again, correct me if I am wrong but this is for next April - 6 months away - this is not a last-minute thing, this is far in the future, and you are only going to be gone a few days, not a few weeks - so this should be something that can be worked out.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
At this point it is a hypothetical, but a possibility.....

At work I gave them some time off that I needed when I was hired in May. A large portion of my job responsibilities will be occurring (a review) during the time I requested off which falls in April. It is only 6 days (2 of them a weekend so really 4 as we are closed on weekends), and there is the option of requesting up to 15 days to be excluded from the possible review dates.

My time off was approved by both of my bosses, one right when I was hired (and then again by this boss about 2 months ago) and by the other one about a month ago. I am not paying for the trip, a friend is, and I told her when it was approved the 2nd time to book the trip. It has been paid for and the tickets are non-refundable.

Today I was told that we needed to sit down to decide what days will be used for the blocked off time, and some discussion about excluding the 1st part of the month. My trip is the 18th-23rd.

No one has told me that I am not getting the time off, but I am in charge of the review, so I am key to be there. It is still possible that there will not be an issue and they will go with what they told me.

My question...if they do in fact deny the time, what should I do? Opinions?
My question is why would you take vacation less than a year of starting? That's an automatic red flag for management at any place i've worked at.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
My question is why would you take vacation less than a year of starting? That's an automatic red flag for management at any place i've worked at.
The OP said she told them about these plans when she was hired. If they didn't like it, they would have red flagged her right there and not hired her.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:19 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The OP said she told them about these plans when she was hired. If they didn't like it, they would have red flagged her right there and not hired her.
Doesn't matter. Sorry

Old 10-06-2012, 11:29 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
It was planned over a year ago...and was brought up at the time of the initial employment offer.

And, they did end up approving it on Friday. I needed to get the dates to the people on the review board, and I just sort of said "ok, I am sending them my dates, any others?" and it floated by...hopefully the end of it.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter. Sorry
Yes it does. I told them about the trip during the interview. When they called with the offer, I responded that my acceptance was conditional on them being ok with the time off. So, in that case it does matter. Financially, I was able to walk away from the position, as this was only one of the offers I was entertaining and I had not yet said "no" to the other offer. They agreed to the time off PRIOR to my starting.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:08 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Some people would think you're lucky to have a job. Suck it up if you have to or leave.

Last edited by Osito; 10-07-2012 at 10:29 AM..

Old 10-07-2012, 12:11 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Some people would think you're lucky to have a job. Suck it up if you have to or leave.
Wow, resent much? She has a legitimate complaint. She wouldn't have taken the job if she couldn't take off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment