Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

You can only discuss those if people are open-minded. Unfortunately very few are.

You can politely say :"I'd rather not discuss anything that is not related to work." or "I am not really into it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 07:41 AM

5 posts, read 6,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
Has there been a lot of political talk at your workplace lately with the election coming up? How do you deal with it?

At my work, there are a few guys who keep going on political rants. I've dealt with it by ignoring them, avoiding the conversations, and agreeing weakly when forced to respond. Last Friday, my boss, who doesn't rant but encourages the ranting guys and agrees with them, asked me if I was voting for "the right candidate" and I said something like, "uh, sure, yes I guess" and went on working. He said "eevee188 is a communist" in what I hoped was a joking tone. Well, on Monday they told me not to come in because they had to cut costs. I asked if I was fired and they said no, I just didn't have any hours for now. I was told this came from the boss (the same one who had called me a communist on Friday). I haven't worked at all since then and I'm starting to think I've been unofficially fired. What the heck? I've worked there for 5 years. They don't have anyone to replace me and it would take quite a while to train a new person. My office manager has been calling me every day to ask me where things are and how to do things. Would they really fire me because I wasn't enthusiastic enough when I told my boss I would vote for his candidate?

I always go by one of the old golden rules of never discussing politics or religion especially, in the workplace. Sounds like you are better off finding a new job anyway. Nobody needs to be in that type of work environment.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:47 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Luckily at my current workplace there are only 2 of us so it's not a problem. In the past, I've just said I don't think this is appropriate conversation for the office and excused myself. I've worked with some people so far away from my personal standpoint that I had to go outside for fresh air!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:35 AM

639 posts, read 1,964,506 times
Talked to the office manager...she told me they weren't bringing me in because they couldn't afford to, and that she was going to look for a new job. So I'm going to rewrite my resume and just start looking for a new job. Any advice for free resume building sites?

By the way, the office manager and I are the only office employees (it's a small business) and if the two of us leave the place literally won't be able to function. I wonder what the boss (owner) will do. Not my problem anymore I guess.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:27 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Good luck with your job search. Political discussions in the work place are really unprofessional. And calling you a Communist?? Really not okay. I'd have been looking elsewhere after a statement like that.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:01 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,662 times
I am kind of conservative but I like President Obama--he's so cool and smart. I also loved George Bush and wear Dick Nixon t-shirts.

I worked for USAID contractors for a time where there are virtually no conservatives....all Peace Corp hippy types. I felt weird and awkward and I did not feel comfortable socializing with my co-workers.

I have since learned to keep my political beliefs to myself.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:56 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,986,113 times
I don't know about resume building websites, but the first two things I'd do is file for unemployment and fill out an online application on Manpower's website, if you have Manpower in your area. These days employment services want you to apply online. Then follow it up with a phone call. Then I'd do the same for any other employment services in your area. Should be able to find free resume building sites online, but I haven't had a need to so don't know for sure. Last time I did a resume it was with my computer's software. This time of year you might be able to find a retail job for the holiday season, giving you time to find an office job.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:00 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Talked to the office manager...she told me they weren't bringing me in because they couldn't afford to, and that she was going to look for a new job. So I'm going to rewrite my resume and just start looking for a new job. Any advice for free resume building sites?

By the way, the office manager and I are the only office employees (it's a small business) and if the two of us leave the place literally won't be able to function. I wonder what the boss (owner) will do. Not my problem anymore I guess.
You better file for unemployment now. Don't take the first job offer. See how it compares to all the offers that you get. Usually, you can ask for 2 weeks to start.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:11 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,577 times
Quote:
Has there been a lot of political talk at your workplace lately with the election coming up? How do you deal with it?

At my work, there are a few guys who keep going on political rants. I've dealt with it by ignoring them, avoiding the conversations, and agreeing weakly when forced to respond. Last Friday, my boss, who doesn't rant but encourages the ranting guys and agrees with them, asked me if I was voting for "the right candidate" and I said something like, "uh, sure, yes I guess" and went on working. He said "eevee188 is a communist" in what I hoped was a joking tone. Well, on Monday they told me not to come in because they had to cut costs. I asked if I was fired and they said no, I just didn't have any hours for now. I was told this came from the boss (the same one who had called me a communist on Friday). I haven't worked at all since then and I'm starting to think I've been unofficially fired. What the heck? I've worked there for 5 years. They don't have anyone to replace me and it would take quite a while to train a new person. My office manager has been calling me every day to ask me where things are and how to do things. Would they really fire me because I wasn't enthusiastic enough when I told my boss I would vote for his candidate?

Find out who your boss is voting, what his political persuasion is - e.g if its Republicans talk about Tax cuts, cutting the minimum wage, welfare cuts etc, hatred of immigrants - Start ranting on about how Reagan won the cold war - Despise anyone with less money than you, and admire anyone with more money that you.

E.g the If its Obama, Democrats talk about need for jobs, ethnic minorities, rage against the bank bailouts etc.

you get the idea just adapt your opinions to the audience its what the politicians do all the time - they have learned that most people are only really interested in listening their own opinions, so just give there own opinions back to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment