Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 AM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times

Advertisements

We have seen so many post these kinds of threads...they are offered more than one job and don't know which one to take. I have voiced my opinion a few times but, seriously, when you are the one with the situation, it really IS NOT as easy as it sounds, to know which one to choose.

So, here I am. I'm going to be pretty vague about some of the pros and cons because of the nature of the jobs. I will, however, do my best to get across what the pros and cons are despite that vagueness.

Ok, job #1 is a government job and job #2 is a science job that I've been trying to get for quite some time. Before I ever learned about job #1, job #2 was my #1 choice. Now? I don't know.

Let me start off by saying that both jobs are not near me. Both jobs will take about an hour and a half to get to. Job #2 does offer a shuttle for $80 a month but this will add on to my entire day because of it. But, I wouldn't have to drive in winter. Job #1 pays much more than job #2 so even without the shuttle, I would still end up with more money, PLUS, job #1 has a better schedule which means less driving so in the end, job #1 will only cost me $163 more per month in gas than if I took the shuttle every day with job #2. (Following along or is it getting confusing?) So, in this situation, location is not really a factor as far as mileage and gas and time. It just isn't. It's equal, in the end. So let's throw out that part of location when we are looking at pros and cons.

PROS for Job #1:

Government job
GREAT pay, holy cow, great pay
Beyond excellent benefits...I can't even believe these benefits and no, I'm not exaggerating.
Room for advancement is good. And, I'm actually interested in a few things later on down the line.
Retirement...yah, it would be good from this job.
Location: we are not talking gas and mileage, we are talking about WHERE it is located. LOVE this part of the state. LOVE. IT. I would be happy as a clam to move to this part of the state. And I actually think my cost of living would either remain the same or go down just a bit.
Hours: This job does it the way I love it. I would much rather work all at once and get it over with and have extra days off than spread that work week out. In this job, we would have 4 days on, 3 days off, 3 days on, 4 days off. SWEET! I LOVE it! I could totally get down with that! AND, I have the option to choose night shift...which I would probably get because everyone else is, "my family this, my kids that". I don't have that issue. I would be in heaven with this shift. (Plus, if you work the night shift, you get more pay. Hello? Sign me up!)
As it was stated when I was interviewed, 90% of this job is "mundane". This, believe it or not, is a good thing, in this job.

CONS for Job #1:

The other 10% of the time is, "terror" as was stated by the same man who interviewed me. And yes, there is definitely a real danger in this job. Will it happen? Maybe, maybe not. But it most certainly CAN happen at any given time and it can be bad. That is all I'm willing to say about this job in regards to that.

That is the only con I can find for this job.

PROS for Job #2:

Again, the shuttle. I wouldn't have to drive, just have to give them $80 a month for the shuttle. (Well, i have to drive to the shuttle but, still, save on wear and tear on the car.)

Pay is ok. It's not great, it's ok. After training, we get a raise. Which, even then, pay is still only ok.
However, they really want "their own" to advance so they offer classes. FOR FREE. And, you can take those classes right there, at the job site. And, if you pass those classes and other prerequisites for moving up, you will be more likely to be advanced rather than them hire from outside.

Benefits are rather good. And they have a "buy back" program for your deductible which is awesome. I won't go into that here but just know, it's actually a sweet deal.

Location: Again, not gas and mileage, where...beautiful location. Hard to find homes to rent here but if you do, it's very nice. It's actually where I wanted to live when I first moved up here.

No danger like the other job.
I'm also sure that if one put in a good 20-25 years, they would have a good retirement.

CONS of Job #2:

Pay is not as good as job #1. It would take some time for pay to get to the level of Job #1 starting pay.
Benefits are not as good as job #1.
Location wise, while the area where this job is located IS beautiful, the location of Job #1 is equally if not even MORE beautiful. (Which I did not think was possible.)
There is an aspect to the job that I really, really do not like and while I accept it is part of the job, I really would not like to do it...even though I would have to do it, daily. I don't know how long it would take before that became too much of an issue or if I would become numb to it...it's a pretty big thing with me.

So, that really is it with pros and cons. I don't want to burn bridges. I do not want to do that. What if I choose job #1 and find out, "You know, this is just not for me after all, regardless of pay and benefits", (it's not an easy job, you EARN your money so those who think it's a cushy government job, you are very, very wrong), but now I can't get job #2 because I burned a bridge? I don't want to do that.

OR, what if I take job #2 and realize, man, I should have taken job #1...again, I don't want to burn a bridge.

This is so crazy. I've been here almost a year and a half and I struggled to find a good, decent paying, full time job that was something I could be proud of, something that made a difference...and now, after all this time struggling, stressing out, wondering if I was ever going to get a full time job, wondering if I was on some black list, wondering wth was going on, I now have TWO excellent full time job offers.

I can only take one.

I don't know which one to take! I have NO idea what to do! And, when I do pick one, how do I turn down the other one without burning a bridge? Or, how do I word it so that even if I started a fire on the bridge due to turning it down, I can maybe douse that fire and have another chance in case the other really isn't the right choice?

Aaaaaghghghggh!

Oy, I can't think about this right now, I have to go vote. OMG. This is insane. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Which one has more potential for job security? Which one is less prone to layoffs? Is either one represented by a (good) union? Which one do you think has less potential for troublesome coworkers to cause problems and get new people fired for bogus reasons? I know that's hard to figure out having not worked there yet, but does either of them seem to have iron clad policy and procedures about personnel actions instead of the last place you worked where one coworker, not even a manager, gives an "eww I don't like her" and immediately the manager decides nothing you do is right and you're told to resign or be fired. Some workplaces operate like that; some don't; some even can't. So anyone is better off with the place that doesn't or cannot operate like that when it comes to personnel termination decisions. I would think the government job would be more secure in that respect.

If it were me, from what you said, I would lean towards #1. One of the main reasons is because you said this:

Quote:
There is an aspect to the job that I really, really do not like and while I accept it is part of the job, I really would not like to do it...even though I would have to do it, daily. I don't know how long it would take before that became too much of an issue or if I would become numb to it...it's a pretty big thing with me.
You're already feeling VERY hinky about a daily job duty for choice #2 before you even start. Once you start you are trapped doing it having burnt the other bridge. I am guessing here, but since #2 is a science job, I tried to think of what would be particularly objectionable to me in a science job and that would be experimenting on and hurting/killing animals. If that is the job duty you are talking about, from what I know of you, a fellow animal lover, I can almost guarantee you it will eat your soul. I would never do that for any kind of money myself.

As for turning something down without burning a bridge ... I dunno. Maybe someone who does hiring can chime in with an opinion on whether they would reconsider an applicant who turned them down previously or just write the applicant off. I guess it also depends on how easy it is for them to find personnel. A place that can find people easier would be less likely to reconsider someone who rejected them than a place that has more of a revolving door of applicants and employees. If that were the case, do you really want a workplace that has a revolving door and cannot be picky about applicants? Might as well post a big red flag on the building.

PS: Congratulations on getting TWO good offers!

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 11-06-2012 at 11:33 AM..

Old 11-06-2012, 11:18 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
I'm chicken...and at 52 lazy and burned out....but even before I was burned out -- I was chicken.

I don't want any job that I could get killed doing, just as part of the very nature of the job. But that's just me.

Depending on the real odds of the danger on job 1, could you do it for a few years, make the money and get out before the odds turned against you. (although we all know of cops, firefighters, and military people killed on their first day, or last day on the job after 30 years)

This way you'd have the jump start of great pay for a few years, and then given that it's a gov job move to another dept/agency. There has to be SOME part of what you do that could transfer to another agency, plus once you're already in you'll get preference anyway.

If i did this I'd take the gig KNOWING that's what I'd do, and not get suckered in by the money. Go in, knowing 'your exit strategy') Also start looking to transfer six months (to a year) before you really want to be out. (So if you want to be out in five, start looking after four.) Besides who knows WHAT could happen in four years.

Could you take the gov job, and get promoted to a position that doesn't have has much danger to it?

Which job works the best for YOU?...ah but I guess that's what your trying to figure out

As for job 2, yes you might have something daily that you hate doing, but HOW MUCH of the time is that really? One quick thing?, or half the day?

Also, at my age, I already have a career, so for me a job is a way to pay bill, and afford the life I want AWAY FROM AND OUTSIDE OF WORK. I go in do my time, leave, and don't think about it again until I'm there. It's not my life, it's not my identity. It's a paycheck so I can travel, spend time with family/friends, bless others, etc.

Which job gives you the best work/life balance?....(to use the catch phrase of the moment) Which would you be happiest doing?

I anxiously await seeing other responses.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Job #1 is a job with the potential for real danger. If you are okay with that, take job #1. Since you are not letting the cat out of the bag, government jobs that have the potential for real danger also have the potential of putting you in a situation in which you may have to kill someone. If so, are you okay with that. My first thought was that this is a job working in a state prison. Anyway, if you are cognizant of the risks and find them acceptable, take job #1.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:41 AM

483 posts, read 854,548 times
I am leaning towards job #1. It's great if you can get a government job especially in these times, however, since I don't know what kind of danger and terror is involved, I can't really say 100% that I would choose it. Is there any way that you can talk to some of the employees in the government job to get some different perspectives about the job?

Old 11-06-2012, 12:26 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,808 times
Job #1 sounds like the better overall situation with one caveat: the 'terror' situation. My first guess would be Fireman based on the overall description. Certainly that occupation can put you in some 'terrifying' situations.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:01 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,935 times
The other 10% of the time is, "terror" as was stated by the same man who interviewed me. And yes, there is definitely a real danger in this job. Will it happen? Maybe, maybe not. But it most certainly CAN happen at any given time and it can be bad. That is all I'm willing to say about this job in regards to that.

That is the only con I can find for this job.

When I read this....I made my choice right then and there. You will find yourself waiting and wondering when that 10% is going to happen. If you have nerves of steel and love drama - this would be the perfect place to be. It reminded me of when I was a police dispatcher - alone on the midnight shift - you realize that something horrible can happen at any moment....and it did several times. When you have people's lives depending on your skill, knowledge, desire to help them, and keep anybody from dying if possible, and also doing about 10 things at one time - exactly the right way, AND having everything you do and say scrutinized on a continual basis - to me that was terror. Don't know what your idea of hell is - that is one version of mine. If you are up for it, and you can take it - go for it. Some people thrive in situations that others of us dread. The money, benefits, schedule, etc. sound ideal for you and once you get settled into a routine you will be happy. I would consider moving closer to work eventually though.
The second option - if you already have a problem with something that you know will be a part of your responsibility on a daily basis, I would not even bother...unless you can retrain your brain and somehow figure out how to deal with the unpleasant duties (I am visualizing analyzing body fluid/solid samples, or something in that vein) or talk to someone who already does that and find out how they got over it. The money would come eventually and the benefits are good.
Which job has the lower risk of layoff? Can you see yourself getting burned out, or are they lifelong interests of yours, or a cause you have always wanted to get behind. If all else fails - get a magic 8 ball!!!!
Tough choice - but ultimately YOU will be the one to make the decision. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU THOUGH....I congratulate you on finding a really good job - hell, two of them!!! EXCELLENT JOB!!!

Old 11-06-2012, 01:41 PM

To the coward who left me a snotty comment, "You have a lot of time on your hands", no sh**, Sherlock. I've been underemployed for awhile.

Wow, you're a fricken genius to figure that out.

Next time, put your name to your useless "rep" comment.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:08 PM

Sounds like it might be job #1 after all.

I just hate to reject job #2 even though I got rejected by them a few times...it IS a good job.

But some of you are right, if I'm already having issue with something I'm going to have to do...maybe I shouldn't take it.

As for the danger...I was in the military. I didn't even really consider the danger when I was in. Course, I was younger and younger people never think anything will happen to them...we had to look for terrorists and it only made me slightly anxious. Most of the time I was bummed I couldn't see them driving down the road, match up their "plates" and catch them. Yah, I wanted to be a hero, too.

I was an airboat captain. That's a dangerous job. Something can happen to that prop, it can explode and since I sat right on top of the dang thing, guess who is getting the brunt of the flying shrapnel? NOT something I wanted to have happen. Plus, the boss was such a twit and didn't know crap about meteorology so that when we got thunder and lightning storms, he'd keep us out there WAY too long. It was NOT uncommon to have the lightning strike right next to us. I'm being serious. We were on large metal boats in the middle of the water, we were the highest object for over half the tour. You have no idea how many times I said, "Please don't let us get struck, please don't let us get struck, please don't let us get struck, please don't let us get struck..." as I drove that airboat through a damn lightning storm because the boss was a certified MORON.

Not to mention the alligators. Sometimes, we would get stuck. And have to take our shoes and socks off and get on out in to that water and sawgrass and HOPE TO GOD there was no gator hiding in there. UGH. I did have ONE leap at me one time when I was untying the boat from the dock. That bastard almost got my right ankle. So, I've dealt with danger before.

I drove for a living. Very mundane. I just like driving. But, I was involved in a few accidents because other people have NO clue how to drive. That accident I got in to in 1999 that messed up my spine was while I was driving for a living. Not only did that fool mess me up, I didn't make any money that night like I was supposed to...and it was good money.

Neither of these are office jobs. Both of them are touted as, "routine and mundane". One has the potential for dangerous situations, one has me doing something I'm not really wanting to do, regardless of WHY it's done.

Still more thinking to do....but, even with danger...it might be job #1.

Regardless, how do you turn down a job and not tick them off?! What do you say?!

Old 11-06-2012, 02:38 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,935 times
Duh.....as always....you say the truth in the most diplomatic and respectful way. I would probably admit that I had received two wonderful offers and after having time to thoroughly consider the pros and cons of each position, I had made a decision based on several factors, including my interests, capabilities, and where I thought my talents would be the most useful. Just be upfront, honest, personable, and timely. You aren't breaking an engagement, you are making a career choice based on what you want to do with your life. They have probably been turned down before - and they will have other candidates that will be thrilled to have a great opportunity.
Worst case scenario.....down the road you may want to apply there again. Do not throw the gas and matches on that bridge!!!! Wish you the best!!! Consider this an early Christmas present!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment