Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:45 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,967 times

Advertisements

This is a good video to watch for people who are against government assistance to disabled people. You hear all the time about disabled people living off taxpayers and getting called bums, but the side you never hear is those of us who want to be self-sufficient and the struggles we face. We want to be productive members of society but because of how we are percieved by the mainstream public and employers finding our place is not a fun road to go down. If we don't want people to be taken care of and we believe that "nobody is owed anything in life" then I believe the least our society can do is stride for equal opportunity. Employers can claim to be EOE all they want but the proof is in the hiring practices. Discrimination isn't the only problem some of us face, but also being able to keep up with working and not being fired for not being able to cope with a job.

I don't know what people in this country are expecting to happen or what they want to do, besides orchestrating another holocaust scenario for disabled people. I will probably be ordered to go in as well as anybody's disabled family member if this is how you want things to be. You don't want any kind of welfare system, and you apparently don't want disabled people to work, so I guess a holocaust is your only solution.

Some of us are bright, articulate, law-abiding, corruption-free and clean individuals who have strengths and weaknesses just like everybody else but for some reason we get lost in a mix of hopelessness, grief, despair, and living in a world that says we will never do better.

I guess my question is why are disabled people who want to be productive thrown to the side and laughed at? Is a new wave of Nazism rising?

Last edited by silenthelpreturns; 06-28-2012 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 04:58 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,913 times
I don't think most people feel that disabled people are bums living off the government. Maybe I'm out of touch but I think many (not necessarily me) feel that way about those on welfare, not those who are disabled. I like and try to patronize businesses that hire disabled people. They deserve a chance just like everyone else.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:46 AM

The majority of the public do think that way. Disabled people need to be given the chance to be self-sufficient in a discrimination-free environment. If you are against safety nets but don't hire disableds in my opinion you have no right to complain about where taxes are going. For some people they have no choice. Then (like me) they have to suffer all because an employer won't hire.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
its about money.
those ramps and lifts cost a lot of money.
as long as we got the money it is fine but when u r broke it gets tough to accomodate.
also there are those who are disabled and do lots of law suits for supposed discrimination, employers dont wana get
sued i am being sued right now. its not fun and i did nothing wrong. people that are prone to doing law suits are not
people you are guna hire or in general do business with. its sort of like the cops. do u really wana answer a 911 when u
know that neighborhood filed a complaint and law suit every time a cop showed up?

Old 06-29-2012, 10:35 AM

777 posts, read 1,337,224 times
Agreed. I have a severe hearing loss, though I have a cochlear implant right now, but I'm still legally deaf with hearing issues. Not only have a dealt with discrimination when trying to get jobs, but it's so expected and common, that it's killed my desire to even keep trying and hoping one single employer will happen to not be a greedy douchebag. For instance, most of job experience is doing clerical duties and data entry, but my first boss was understanding of my hearing loss and just had me never answer the phones (cause I can't communicate on them anyway), and had me just avoid customers. But anywhere else, most clerical positions require the person to handle multiple phone lines, so I don't even try and get these jobs that state that because I'm certain the employer is just going to obviously, realize I can't handle that, and there are no decent accomodations for HoH/Deaf people to handle phones in the workplace, therefore, I won't get the job.

So here I am, now, working overnight retail since I don't have to do either of those things. And trying to get jobs that don't require them (like, becoming a medical coder, who just types all day in a back office, mostly). But eh. Resources suck, and so do most employers.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:26 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,085,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
... no right to complain about where taxes are going. ...
The cost of supporting truly disabled people isn't a significant cost to any government budget.

What is costly and maddening is paying for people to get SS disability who are using
it as a substitute for jobless benefits and then go play golf and stuff like that.

SS disability roles and costs are exploding and this is pushing out people with legitimate need.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:32 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,396,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
The cost of supporting truly disabled people isn't a significant cost to any government budget.

What is costly and maddening is paying for people to get SS disability who are using
it as a substitute for jobless benefits and then go play golf and stuff like that.

SS disability roles and costs are exploding and this is pushing out people with legitimate need.
It really is making it tough for those who are actually disabled. My brother was severely injured years ago, and without getting specific, the issues are legitimate and medically diagnosed. They are NOT going to get better with therapy, and they are not those that reasonable accommodation will allow him to work. Yet, about once every year or so, because there is so much fraud, they have to reevaluate him. And it is horrible for him, as he also then deals with panic attacks over losing his money. He never has, but the stress of it is enough to be horrible for him. So, I get angry when I see people who abuse the system, making others think that "all" disabled are like this and are just "faking" it.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:16 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Come on, this is a depression. Millions of able-bodied unable to find a job despite years of looking. Why would anyone think a disabled person can find a job. And regarding the comment on Nazism: The Nazis, swept into power amid extreme unemployment, put people to work building autobahns (even though few Germans even owned cars, and Hitler himself had no drivers license).

Old 07-01-2012, 01:59 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
The majority of the public do think that way. Disabled people need to be given the chance to be self-sufficient in a discrimination-free environment. If you are against safety nets but don't hire disableds in my opinion you have no right to complain about where taxes are going. For some people they have no choice. Then (like me) they have to suffer all because an employer won't hire.

It's a shame really.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment