Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:23 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,967 times

Advertisements

My voc rehab counselor is so-so. At one point she seemed dissapointed that I had very little work history and only a Ged, even though she knows I have been looking for jobs for over 3 years and couldn't go to college because the tuition was too high for my family to pay even with financial aid. She kept saying I have to make things happen and that all hope is not lost but this is implying that I somehow haven't tried hard enough to find a job when I DID. "Go get a menial job to hold you over". HELLO, that's what I wanted and I never got contacted back, not even for interviews. Unfortunately, I cannot force an employer to hire me. Then she told me I am having a hard time because the last batch of people unemployed are unskilled workers. She told me I will have to look for skilled jobs, because the competition narrows out. Which I can understand.

I took a long career/aptitude test, and I have to get my drivers permit by next month and they will pay for me to go to drivers ed. Then the focus will be on me getting trained for what I would like to do. She said they will help find jobs and they can entice employers but in the end it will be up to me. I already know what happens in that case. As of now, this is all I have left to devote my time to is pursuing this opportunity. If none of this works out, I will probably give up and think of a way to get out of this life.

I see animals as being superior to the human race because you don't see them trying to wipe the entire kingdom and destroy themselves permanently out of existance. They live in harmony. Of course there is a food chain (certain animals depend on each other for food sources), but that's natural. It's not deliberately done to hurt each other and there is no nefarious agenda. What you have going on with human beings is so much more. It's nothing new, this is how the human race has always been (although it has gotten worse through the centuries). It is how humans treat each other, dump on each other, ostracize each other, wipe each other out (through exploitation of basic needs), murder/kill etc. It is deliberately done on a mass scale. Human beings have deliberate agendas, animals are just surviving.

Last edited by silenthelpreturns; 07-17-2012 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
I can't stand voc rehab. Most voc rehab counselors I've met or have heard of are just more people who underestimate what disabled people can do. At least that's the experience I've had, as well as many of my disabled friends. My voc rehab counselor told me to sit at home and do nothing and basically encouraged me to just collect SSI and not try for actual employment. My friend's VR counselor discouraged her from getting a college degree. Another VR counselor lied to my friend about a college's accreditation, hoping she would go for a degree only to find out after graduating that the institution wasn't accredited, and was annoyed when my friend discovered this for herself a week after the VR counselor tried to game her. These are just a few examples of many.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 AM

Mine is the tough love type.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:18 PM

17 posts, read 44,458 times
Default Help me understand

I'm looking for work and thought I found the perfect job at the public library 3 blocks from home, 12 to 16 hours a week, just enough to keep me busy and to help me kep my sanity. I've onle just became disabled 22 months ago with a spine injury now I do not walk very well and have to use a walker no to mention some weaknesses here and there but everything aside I can still function as productive citizen. The job is easy and I asked the girls what duties were needed and they said just checking in books and videos and putting them back on the shelf and helping out when and where needed, sound easy enough so I applied and added a resume which gave great references and good work experience, I did mention that I was disabled but could still perform all duties without using my walker and using a cane. Well today I rec'd a letter stating and I quote "While your application and resume showed a range of education and experience, you were not selected for futher consideration. Those candidates selected to continue possess education, training and experience which most closely meet the current needs of the city" I did not understand the letter "call me stupid" so I called and spoke to the woman who sent me the letter and I asked her to please explain trhe letter to me, well I don't know who she thinks she was talking too so I asked her to please explain and she said I needed a hi school diploma and clerical experience. I became upset but held back my temper and simply said I'm 64 years old and graduated back in the 60's and my last employment (in a hospital) went for 20 yrs plus, my previous employer (at a cpa firm) went for 21 years doing various duties she was quiet for a moment then said that a drivers license was also a requiement. I then asked if public transportation or other means of transportation was not enough and she simply said no.
I'm confused I thought working was a good thing but now I wonder. does anyone have any input or am I just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Thank you
Adriean

Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 AM

219 posts, read 439,626 times
drivers license was also a requiement.

I guess they said that because, someone with their own transportation is more 'flexible' than someone who must rely on the public transit system. Private transportation would be faster and available at any day or time.

They could also being using the license requirement as a way to filter those marginal applicants, applicants who are 'undesirable' but by saying such could get them sued. It's easier to say 'you need a drivers' license' then to say 'you are too old' etc.

We are becoming a very, cold, mechanical, and deterministic society. We can not compete with slave-labor nations without enslaving ourselves...

Old 07-19-2012, 09:32 AM

People try to justify that by saying life is not fair which is ludicrous. When you say life isn't fair deep down you mean it's not fair to anybody else but yourself. The masses have been conditioned to think they don't have to take responsibility for their own actions against others. They think they can just treat people how they want and they're not going to get any reprecussions for it. Well, I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way and employers should realize that. This society has systematically denied people (from all walks of....) a life. But it takes it one step further and persecutes us for it.

500,000+ missing children in America every year, but people just sit around watching football. Who cares? They were unwanted kids. As long as I have my super bowl sunday I'll be fine.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:34 AM

750 posts, read 1,445,997 times
I am sorry for what happened to you Adriean. All I can say is welcome to the handicapped union you have joined the ranks. No matter how good of a worker you were in your past life. Well how can I put this it does not matter. You are now seen as a marginal applicant. Thus they will not hire you for almost anything. I know what I am talking about I am handicapped myself. The no public transportation deal. It is done to weed out the poor and handicapped applicants.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:30 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,420 times
My mom knew a quadriplegic who worked full time. He used a stick in his mouth to type out reports and stuff, I think he did book keeping, and I have seen many mentally handicapped people work simple jobs, like ripping ticket stubs at the movie theater or stocking shelves in grocery store.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:41 PM

219 posts, read 439,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post

500,000+ missing children in America every year, but people just sit around watching football. Who cares? They were unwanted kids. As long as I have my super bowl sunday I'll be fine.
Sorry to change the subject but I thought it important to respond.

Some of them are used in Satanic ritual abuse rings. Don't believe me?

Amazon.com: The Franklin Cover-up: Child Abuse, Satanism, and Murder in Nebraska (9780963215802): John W. DeCamp: Books

Former FBI Agent interview

The CPS has a quota, don't believe me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5fqaaBpTLY

The state senator and her husband, after blowing the whistle, were found murdered in their own home.

Jerry Sandusky, was a pimp. The guy was raping little boys in the field house for years. He is the tip of the iceberg of a huge underground network.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:23 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
People try to justify that by saying life is not fair which is ludicrous. When you say life isn't fair deep down you mean it's not fair to anybody else but yourself. The masses have been conditioned to think they don't have to take responsibility for their own actions against others. They think they can just treat people how they want and they're not going to get any reprecussions for it. Well, I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way and employers should realize that. This society has systematically denied people (from all walks of....) a life. But it takes it one step further and persecutes us for it.

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment