Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:33 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

I don't believe that hardly any job is overpaid or underpaid.

You get paid what you're worth, for the most part. The market determines what that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't believe that hardly any job is overpaid or underpaid.

You get paid what you're worth, for the most part. The market determines what that is.
Actually, you are correct.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:23 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
The problem is, without marketers and sales people, the so called value creators wouldn`t have anyone to sell to and so therefore, wouldn`t have a job. Somebody has to market and sell a product or noone will buy it. That is why most companies depend on the marketing sales people. Our sales team is told all the time...you have people depending on you...meaning everyone else at the company is depending on the sales department to bring in the business or noone gets paid.
That's right and us salespeople don't make as much as you think depending on industry. I know quite a few that make under 80k and put in 60 hours a week. And before someone remarks then they should change industries see how easy it is to break into a new industry with no sales experience in the worst recession. And unlike non sales people if we don't hit quota we are terminated rather quickly.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
That's right and us salespeople don't make as much as you think depending on industry. I know quite a few that make under 80k and put in 60 hours a week. And before someone remarks then they should change industries see how easy it is to break into a new industry with no sales experience in the worst recession. And unlike non sales people if we don't hit quota we are terminated rather quickly.
It's easier for a bad salesman to sell a great product than for a great salesman to sell a bad one. I know plenty of engineers also making under 80k and putting in 60 hours a week. In fact, this is the norm as companies are purposefully short-staffing their engineers.

I think both manipulators and creators are absolutely essential to the process of doing business. I'm just stating that in my opinion the compensation is not where I think it should be.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
IMHO, no JOB as a general category is really overpaid.

Jobs that are RELATIVELY easy compared to the salary paid often require many years of school. Pharmacist comes to mind,

Because, believe me, if there was a job that paid a lot with good hours, which was easy, with minimal schooling, I'd be doing it!

However, there are TONS of particular INDIVIDUALS who are overpaid.

Conversely, lots of jobs are underpaid. Jazz musician is probably at the very top of the list. Others that come to mind are vets, urban planners, and college professors in general.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:54 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
It's easier for a bad salesman to sell a great product than for a great salesman to sell a bad one. I know plenty of engineers also making under 80k and putting in 60 hours a week. In fact, this is the norm as companies are purposefully short-staffing their engineers.

I think both manipulators and creators are absolutely essential to the process of doing business. I'm just stating that in my opinion the compensation is not where I think it should be.
The truth is, not everyone can be a salesman. Many have tried and failed. Most just don`t have the personality or thick skin for sales. Most good sales people don`t get a high salary. They get commission. Whereas the creators, get paid regardless. A salesman pay is directly tied to his performance. He has goals he has to make. If he doesn`t , he is gone and some of that is out of his hands. If the creator doesn`t do a good job with the product, the salesman has to answer for it to the client. The salesman is the face of the company. He has to answer for everyone`s mistakes and he has to take the heat for it and it directly affects his wallet. If someone in production screws up an order and the client cancels, the salesman doesn`t get paid. But the producer still does.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:27 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
I can't agree with people who say teachers are overpaid, teachers are undervalued, which is holdover from it being a traditionally female profession, they are educated professionals who are in charge of our most important resource, our children. Police and fireman are also very important, and dangerous positions that deserve good wages.

There is a problem in that firing bad teachers and other government employees is very difficult, reforms are needed to change that, but the average teacher salary is 44K, less than most professions with equal educational requirements. Teachers may seem overpaid compared to average salaries in a given area, but I believe that is more about the fact that except for very high level management positions, wages are not keeping with cost of living.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:29 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,215 times
The worst of the worst are "Professional Athletes".

What a waste of money and resources to be paying these lugs millions per year, while teachers are barely scraping by and our public school system is so awful...

And like someone else already said, we have no one to blame but ourselves. We need to look in the mirror and realize that we as a society have our priorities way out of wack when we as consumers support the multi-billion dollar sports industry and make the 1% even richer while our kids are being taught nothing of value in our public institutions. This mindset will be one of the attributing factor that will ensure the fall of the American Empire.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:41 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
The worst of the worst are "Professional Athletes".

What a waste of money and resources to be paying these lugs millions per year, while teachers are barely scraping by and our public school system is so awful...

And like someone else already said, we have no one to blame but ourselves. We need to look in the mirror and realize that we as a society have our priorities way out of wack when we as consumers support the multi-billion dollar sports industry and make the 1% even richer while our kids are being taught nothing of value in our public institutions. This mindset will be one of the attributing factor that will ensure the fall of the American Empire.

Yes, and movie/TV industry as well. Sports and entertainment are fine, they can be a lot of fun, but it feels like we as a country are placing them so far above everything else, and children are looking up to sports and movie stars instead of the real people in their lives.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:36 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Janitors are overpaid.

Many janitors that work for NYC get paid over $140,000. Janitors that work for high class luxury buildings get paid as much as $200,000.
Do you have a source for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment