Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 10:16 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
I think it is generally 'poor' people that believe they need a fancy car. Sure, many people that are car enthusiasts & make a lot of money drive nice cars, but I still think the former is true most of the time. That is why this country has no savings rate.

Cars just get me from point A to point B without worrying about it stopping. So, all the rest of the features really don't matter to me. It's exciting to have the 'nicer' car for a week or two and then it goes back to getting me from point A to point B. Good MPG is certainly a great thing, but not really important if I have to spend significantly more to get it.
Different products provide different user experiences. Saying they are the same is absurd. You still haven't pointed out a Mercedes that has solar panels and gets close to 60mpg.

I get that people who hold money to high importance won't pay for an improved user experience when they can live without it. IMO, life is about experience and not about money. To each their own.

What I find ironic are the people hypocritical people who will save every penny they have but waste time working for a low hourly rate. As if time is unlimited. I don't understand why these people don't just get jobs that pay $200/hr if they care about money so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 05:12 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Since honesty is my newest policy, I'll just respond with a "I don't understand", trusting that you'd know that the onus is on you to make yourself understandable.

As it stands, your point doesn't hold up, as I'm not referring to 'what else' the people I'm talking about do, I'm talking about those people who do 'what' it was I was referring to.

Those 'what else people' that you think I'm bagging on, I'm actually indirectly commending. The 'what else' people who realize the 'else', particularly in the contexts you provided, is more important than the 'what' weren't my intended target.

So, I think you didn't understand my post.
Bzzzt, try again. You didn't say, "people I know personally", you made a blanket statement. My position still stands...unless you are with these people 24/7, you have NO idea what they are doing with their money other than the house, two cars and a boat. You make a TON of assumptions. You can't spin your way out of it and a common housefly could understand what I wrote.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:31 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,788,256 times
OP, I get you. The people who are criticizing you here can't hear you because they have dollar signs coming out of their ears, eyes and arses. You are fortunate to be able to perceive the origin of happiness. It takes others a long journey of seeking artificial means to "happiness." I don't know what kind of beginnings you come from but if you were given "things" a lot of people have had to work for than you have a different view of what's important. I came from nothing, had "something" and have decided that obtaining more isn't my life's work.

I've been a chaser and have come to the conclusion; based on my religious beliefs that food, clothing and shelter is all that is needed for happiness. Everything else is just icing on the cake. Of course, having a fancy car or multiple residences would be nice but those things will all grow old, get broken or incite fear of having to do without. A hurricane, earthquake, tornado or financial depression will inaugurate you quickly.

As far as a career, I agree with the poster who alluded to having a life instead of a job. But everyone is different and no one should judge one or chide one for seeking life's purpose.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:32 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,912,589 times
I'm so tired of vapid unemployed people crapping all over people in banking, finance, insurance, accounting etc.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 PM

I wonder if this guy is an occupier. Sure sounds like one. No prospects, so blame others.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:31 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
OP, I get you. The people who are criticizing you here can't hear you because they have dollar signs coming out of their ears, eyes and arses. You are fortunate to be able to perceive the origin of happiness. It takes others a long journey of seeking artificial means to "happiness." I don't know what kind of beginnings you come from but if you were given "things" a lot of people have had to work for than you have a different view of what's important. I came from nothing, had "something" and have decided that obtaining more isn't my life's work.

I've been a chaser and have come to the conclusion; based on my religious beliefs that food, clothing and shelter is all that is needed for happiness. Everything else is just icing on the cake. Of course, having a fancy car or multiple residences would be nice but those things will all grow old, get broken or incite fear of having to do without. A hurricane, earthquake, tornado or financial depression will inaugurate you quickly.

As far as a career, I agree with the poster who alluded to having a life instead of a job. But everyone is different and no one should judge one or chide one for seeking life's purpose.
Hardly.

I know what is true happiness and I know that "money" is not what buys you that happiness as far as two cars, a boat and a house. But I also know, TRUE happiness is not giving a crap what other people spend their money on. It's THEIR money and it's NONE of my business.

See, if one was TRULY happy, you know, "understood the origin of happiness", they wouldn't be bothered by what others have.

Love the hypocrisy and what a pretty shade of green you got going on there.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:46 AM

247 posts, read 751,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You still haven't pointed out a Mercedes that has solar panels and gets close to 60mpg.
I agree everyone has different priorities in life (stuff, money, enjoyment, time, etc) but I just don't understand why you keep saying a car has solar panels? Ok? Some people have them on their house too. Who cares?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I agree everyone has different priorities in life (stuff, money, enjoyment, time, etc) but I just don't understand why you keep saying a car has solar panels? Ok? Some people have them on their house too. Who cares?
Because you said this:

Quote:
Instead of driving your Toyota, you're driving a Mercedes. Who cares? It's a logo on a car.
And that explicitly implies that the difference between a Toyota and a Mercedes is just a logo on a car. If it's just a logo on a car, you should be able to point me to the Prius with the Mercedes logo.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:59 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,674,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Bzzzt, try again. You didn't say, "people I know personally", you made a blanket statement. My position still stands...unless you are with these people 24/7, you have NO idea what they are doing with their money other than the house, two cars and a boat. You make a TON of assumptions. You can't spin your way out of it and a common housefly could understand what I wrote.
a tree does not a forest make...

Old 11-24-2012, 06:52 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
I have lived at the lower end of the econemy and most of my jobs were machinery repair.
The trouble with that industry, is the amount of tooling and interest that needs to be invested, to be compeditive in the job market.
In the medical field ,the schooling never ends ,simply because advancments in understanding the human body are changing the way we did things in the past.
Many other industries are evolving the same way ,just to be compeditive .
If you are still in school or just finishing, get a job, any job ,even flipping burgers ,because the future employers are going to be looking at your work ethic not your school major.
Most young people have no work ethic ,and though they qualify intellectually, cannot wrk and stay working on their own with out supervision.
Face it if you have to be baby sat to get work done they don't need you.
I have a nephew not even 33 years old and he is looking at a water sanitation supervisory job for a major city.
No or little collage just hard work moving up from job to job,he is making more money than I ever did, owns two homes and does the remodeling him self.
And he is single.
Married he would have never made it .
Where are your priorities ?
Establish a good work ethic ,something your bosses treasure, and learn how business really works.
Leave the kids that play, to their play ,it has no solid future.
You must build your own future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment