Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:34 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,688,956 times

Advertisements

I still haven't found an answer to this one yet...

You see grown men with a house or two, a car, a boat, a cellphone and laptop for everyone in his family....and they're still up everyday trying to get more stuff.

It's like they're never satisfied. What's worse id half the time it's people who do something that doesn't even matter...I mean, if the guy's a surgeon, then I can see it. But half the time it's like some banker or something...

And they just go on with what seems like an insatiable appetite...never pausing to think, what do I need, really? Because the answer would shock them...

They don't need anything. Most of what they need, if not all of what they need, they've had since they were children.

But, without that purpose, that illusion of purpose, it's like they get scared. And, that's the saddest form of a man I can think of...a man who not only doesn't know his purpose, but also one who is too afraid to find out and just lives the life laid out for him as if he were incapable of finding his own purpose.

Also, I need a job. Once I graduate, any suggestions as to where I should look?

Something 'purposeful' please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,257,235 times
More than a job you seem to need a psychiatrist. You're dealing with a lot of issues here. You may also need more education to learn about society and economics.

The idea that you think the profession of banking is doing something that doesn't matter is concerning.

To answer your initial question. Life is all about experiences. It's all about treating yourself once you realize that money is unlimited.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
More than a job you seem to need a psychiatrist. You're dealing with a lot of issues here. You may also need more education to learn about society and economics.

The idea that you think the profession of banking is doing something that doesn't matter is concerning.

To answer your initial question. Life is all about experiences. It's all about treating yourself once you realize that money is unlimited.
I love how you respond to my assertion of "you're crazy" with "no, you're crazy".

So, it's just thinly veiled hedonism then?

Old 11-21-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I love how you respond to my assertion of "you're crazy" with "no, you're crazy".

So, it's just thinly veiled hedonism then?
I think you're misinterpreting my post. I don't mean to say that you're crazy. You just don't understand some basic things about society, human behavior, and yourself.

Maslow stated that you will go through a period of saturation at each level before elevating to the next level. So people who buy extra cars and homes are in saturation of security. Given that they continue the same path, they will eventually graduate from that saturation point and move on to the next level.

I'm not one to discredit ancient Greek behavioral science. In fact, Maslow agreed with much of it.

From an economic standpoint, making money and spending money is the best thing you can do as a member of society. Whether you're a banker or surgeon, as long as you make lots of money and spend lots of money, you're doing the economy justice. Being a banker is no less important than being a surgeon. Although, I do wonder why you think it is.

Once you graduate, go to your career services to find a job.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think you're misinterpreting my post. I don't mean to say that you're crazy. You just don't understand some basic things about society, human behavior, and yourself.

Maslow stated that you will go through a period of saturation at each level before elevating to the next level. So people who buy extra cars and homes are in saturation of security. Given that they continue the same path, they will eventually graduate from that saturation point and move on to the next level.

I'm not one to discredit ancient Greek behavioral science. In fact, Maslow agreed with much of it.

From an economic standpoint, making money and spending money is the best thing you can do as a member of society. Whether you're a banker or surgeon, as long as you make lots of money and spend lots of money, you're doing the economy justice. Being a banker is no less important than being a surgeon. Although, I do wonder why you think it is.

Once you graduate, go to your career services to find a job.
So now I'm stupid?

O.K. Mr. Banker, I'll take it back. Indeed, how I even came up with the idea that perhaps surgeons are a bit more important in life (or even to life) is beyond me...I'll be sure to tell the doctors in my family that 'you know, bankers save just as many lives as you do...'

But, seriously, I don't want to show up unprepared.

"What do you want to do?"
"A job."
"What type of job?"
"A paid one."

You see what I mean?

Old 11-21-2012, 05:36 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,277,534 times
That was deep.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:47 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,163,214 times
Since you are unemployed, you have lots of free time. I suggest filling it with charitable work to increase your sense of purpose.

You could always move towards a career in non-profit or a charity, if the rat race is not for you. Maybe you want to volunteer for a while. If you want to travel, look at the Peace Corps.

I knew somebody that worked in corporate until their 40''s. He was always angry and unhappy. He would constantly argue at work. He ended up going into social work. He ended up winning a community achievement award. Life is short. Do what makes you happy. Don't spend the next 20 years doing something you hate.

Last edited by move4ward; 11-21-2012 at 06:08 AM..

Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,604,158 times
Quote:
I still haven't found an answer to this one yet...

You see grown men with a house or two, a car, a boat, a cellphone and laptop for everyone in his family....and they're still up everyday trying to get more stuff.

It's like they're never satisfied. What's worse id half the time it's people who do something that doesn't even matter...I mean, if the guy's a surgeon, then I can see it. But half the time it's like some banker or something...

And they just go on with what seems like an insatiable appetite...never pausing to think, what do I need, really? Because the answer would shock them...

They don't need anything. Most of what they need, if not all of what they need, they've had since they were children.

But, without that purpose, that illusion of purpose, it's like they get scared. And, that's the saddest form of a man I can think of...a man who not only doesn't know his purpose, but also one who is too afraid to find out and just lives the life laid out for him as if he were incapable of finding his own purpose.

Also, I need a job. Once I graduate, any suggestions as to where I should look?

Something 'purposeful' please.
So you have been living the non-material life of a college student for four years, wallowing in poverty on an enclosed campus that has everything you need within walking distance and included with your room and board payment, and you have concluded that you will never need anything more than you have now.

Good luck with that.

You will need a cellphone and a probably a laptop if you want to succeed in most careers. So much so that the company might give them to you. You'll need a place to live and for economic reasons you'll probably want to buy a house at some point instead of renting. You won't ever need a boat, that one is correct. But you might really want one. When you're working your butt off to pay your mortgage and cell phone fees and buy a new laptop, then you'll want to really relax on the weekend, and getting hammered with your college buddies probably won't cut it after your 20's.

I hope philosophy is just a hobby for you and wasn't your actual major.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
So you have been living the non-material life of a college student for four years, wallowing in poverty on an enclosed campus that has everything you need within walking distance and included with your room and board payment, and you have concluded that you will never need anything more than you have now.

Good luck with that.

You will need a cellphone and a probably a laptop if you want to succeed in most careers. So much so that the company might give them to you. You'll need a place to live and for economic reasons you'll probably want to buy a house at some point instead of renting. You won't ever need a boat, that one is correct. But you might really want one. When you're working your butt off to pay your mortgage and cell phone fees and buy a new laptop, then you'll want to really relax on the weekend, and getting hammered with your college buddies probably won't cut it after your 20's.

I hope philosophy is just a hobby for you and wasn't your actual major.
Not to mention all the nice clothes he/she will need as a surgeon.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:56 AM

8,239 posts, read 10,768,772 times
Quote:
What's worse id half the time it's people who do something that doesn't even matter...I mean, if the guy's a surgeon, then I can see it. But half the time it's like some banker or something...
Who the hell are you to decide what does and doesn't matter??? That banker will matter in a hurry when the surgeon starts making money.

Also have to love the hate of material things posting on a message board using the internet and either a computer or phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment