Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times

Advertisements

What things have you despised in your past bosses? Even if you did not despite THEM, what things about them would you rather have different?

I would say:

1) Unfriendliness / lack of manners: Even lower-level bosses and supervisors should have good social skills. Failing to greet the employee or wish them goodbye is a major defect in my book. Worst of all was a "supervisor" I had who would not say "goodbye" when I did or "you're welcome" when I said "thank you".

2) "Only business" attitude: I prefer bosses to not exclusively talk about work in personal interactions. I rather prefer them to make "small talk" about the weather or food or some event outside of work before actually discussing business (when possible, of course). This lets me know them as a person and not solely as a boss, which tends, even though it is not my intent, to make me view them as an authoritarian slavedriver or nitpicker figure.

3) Voice: I never realized how important this was until I had a boss with an ANNOYING voice. It's sort of a high-pitched "whiny" voice. Even when she was trying to be "friendly", she still sounded like she was whining. Granted, her and my personality types didn't quite coincide well in the first place, but her voice aggravated the situation.

A supervisor, if male, should have a deep, calming voice; if female, she should have either a deep or "normal" voice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Ever wonder why Hitler was elected?

You care about all the wrong things I must say. To me, it would be a boss who can't be organized enough to get priority straight and doesn't communicate priorities clearly.

I also hate a boss who doesn't fight for his/her people.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
If someone complained, the complainer was automatically assumed to be right and the employee was assumed to be wrong unless they could prove that the allegations against them were false.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,475,290 times
Frankly I care more about things that actually affect my work and my performance.

I want a boss to be consistent in their instructions / directions. I've had bosses who would change their minds from one week to the next about what they wanted or how or when. I ended up a gibbering wreck!
I want someone who isn't going to throw a screaming tantrum when something goes wrong.
I want someone who isn't going to bring their foul mood into the office and take it out on me.
I want someone who has some people-management skills (preferably with a sense of humour).
I want a boss who will tell me immediately if they have a problem with my work or attitude or whatever, not wait 6 months and then add it to my performance review so they can give me a lower grade.
I want a boss who will stick up for me in public, even if he/she reams me out in private

Thankfully my current boss has all the above positive traits. Long may it remain

Old 12-11-2012, 01:16 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,549,432 times
In the setting I work in, and having observed a number of supervisors in that setting over the years, I have concluded that the best bosses are extroverted females. We have had introverted females, and introverted and extroverted males. While all of them can do the job, to varying degrees, we seem to get the best results as a team when there is an extroverted female running things.

We currently have an introverted male, and I think he has two strikes against him (gender and introversion).

Again, I am just speaking about the particular field and setting I work in, not making generalizations about gender and introverts/extroverts.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:34 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,780 times
Even-tempered and predictable. Nothing is worse than a boss who everyone is afraid to approach because you don't know at any given moment if he/she will act like a reasonable human being or throw a big tantrum. That's the number one thing. Lots of other stuff is important, including just being competent, but for me sanity and predictability are tops.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:46 PM

50 posts, read 165,681 times
I have been in management many years - female, extrovert - and the one rule I have always managed by is: treat your employees the way you would want to be treated. This rule has worked very well for me and when I have left a position, I have left people behind that truly care about me. Upper management is not an easy job but it can be made a lot easier by having a team of people working WITH you to get the job done.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:55 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Having a boss who treats the workplace as a social club instead of a place to solely concentrate on work.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:09 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Vindictive behavior towards employees and/or customers.

The worse of traits to have...for anyone.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:15 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
This is in past tense, regarding my last boss (an attorney):

I wanted a boss who didn't revolve his schedule around trysts with his wh**e extramarital girlfriend, and expect me to reschedule appointments when it conflicted. I wanted a boss who ddin't call me from the golf course to postpone hearings he was due for just because it's a sunny day. I wanted a boss who didn't put me in the awkward position of answering questions about how "he was doing" after his wife kicked him out after finding out about extramarital affair with wh**e girlfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment