Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

You can't tell what the boss is doing on his PC

but he can tell what you're doing on yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times
As it should be. I do not need you to see me typing up someones corrective action, or completing their review, etc...

I do and have the right to see everything you do. Granted I could sit in my office and look at my desktop monitoring software, but it is also nice for me to walk by and get a glance at what you are doing.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,648 times
I work in IT.

I can see what everyone is doing. Doors and positioning be damned.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:05 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
I think part of that is just the way cubes are setup. You basically have three walls and an opening - and most often, you have a L shaped or U shaped table against the walls, and seldom have the option of actually facing the opening (there are larger cubes that have desks that jet out). In either way, the most space efficient place for a monitor is on the corners where you have a bit more room for mouse/keyboard. I certainly have seen people put the PC against the exterior wall (using that picture, it would be by the person's right hand) - but for right handers, it often make it harder as your right elbow will have little support.

On the other hand, most managers have a desk as opposed to a cube, which gives you more options. And naturally, most will chose to face the door. Although I know many managers that have the computer on the return, so the computer is actually perpendicular to the entrance.

In either case, as other's have said - there are also reason's why a manager may need more privacy.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:07 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Boy there are some ****ing stupid employees here on CD that does not know their position in life

Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
So, you think you should be able to walk by my office and see personal information about employees and confidential company information, but I should not be able to walk by and make sure you are staying on task (which is part of my job, by the way)?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 AM

977 posts, read 1,815,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
So, you think you should be able to walk by my office and see personal information about employees and confidential company information, but I should not be able to walk by and make sure you are staying on task (which is part of my job, by the way)?
Or you could just judge by the results they produce instead of micromanaging by looking at what's on their screens. As a manager, I don't care if they are running errands, surfing the net, on their phone, etc as long as the work is getting done and done well.

It's all part of many managers' hypocritical attitudes of "I can do whatever I want, but you the slaves cannot".

Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
It's all part of many managers' hypocritical attitudes of "I can do whatever I want, but you the slaves cannot".
You sound like a teenager telling their parents: "Its not fair that you can tell me what to do, but you can do whatever you want."

Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
I agree with macroy. It's really about the shape of a cube. A good management team isn't going to sit there and micromanage what you're doing as long as you're getting the job done. So they could care less if you're browsing the web.

I can see it being annoying if you want to pay bills since that's a private matter and the screen is open to others. I suppose it's best to take your laptop to another location for that period.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
You sound like a teenager telling their parents: "Its not fair that you can tell me what to do, but you can do whatever you want."
No, that's the type of attitude from managers that causes problems. We are not your children. At some companies your manager doesn't even rank above or even with you. My "manager" is technically three bands below me. They are nothing more than a paper pusher for HR. I don't really take orders from them and I certainly would not tolerate being lectured like a child by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment