Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 04:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

I would rather stand outside my apartment and sing for money over a fast food job LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 04:31 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal123 View Post
easy to get jobs and always hiring. someone has to do it

Yeah highschool students

Old 12-21-2012, 11:50 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I would rather stand outside my apartment and sing for money over a fast food job LOL
I could sing outside of my house and I bet I would get way over minimum wage to stop singing.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:50 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
I could sing outside of my house and I bet I would get way over minimum wage to stop singing.
LOL...

Old 12-22-2012, 06:42 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
I think the stigma associated with fast food jobs is pretty shameful. They're just a rung up from garbage collectors on the social scale.

Of course there are all sorts of people who work in ff, from teenagers working their first jobs to recently arrive immigrants to ex-cons to corporate ladder climbers. If anything, ff is one of the more egalitarian industries out there. There aren't many other places where you can work your way up by staying with the same company anymore.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I think the stigma associated with fast food jobs is pretty shameful. They're just a rung up from garbage collectors on the social scale.

Of course there are all sorts of people who work in ff, from teenagers working their first jobs to recently arrive immigrants to ex-cons to corporate ladder climbers. If anything, ff is one of the more egalitarian industries out there. There aren't many other places where you can work your way up by staying with the same company anymore.
Other groups include artist/musician types that need to supplement their income but not give up doing what they love, semi-retired people, and people who have spouses that work and just want something to do every once in a while. It's very diverse.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:01 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I'm not talking about the "social scale". What people think is "shameful" is totally irrelevant to me. No one should think what anyone does for an honest living is "shameful". Also many individuals who handle garbage for the city/state make really good money.

I just wonder that among unskilled jobs someone would choose/stick with fast food, with the very low wages and abusive customers.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I just wonder that among unskilled jobs someone would choose/stick with fast food, with the very low wages and abusive customers.
You won't find any "one size fits all" answer, as you'll find that not all fast food operations can be realistically niched into a generalized and compact little exemplar group.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:37 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You won't find any "one size fits all" answer, as you'll find that not all fast food operations can be realistically niched into a generalized and compact little exemplar group.

Fast Food jobs are for

teens
ex-offenders
high school dropouts

The End

Old 12-22-2012, 01:35 PM

231 posts, read 390,888 times
My first job, in 1980, was at a McDonalds. I remember making $1.85 an hour. I worked about 20 to 25 hours per week. I hated that job and could not wait to leave it.
BUT..that job lasted 8 months, which gave me real world experience. It taught me responsibility, leadership, team work, and time management. It also was the stepping stone to my next job, working at a Woolworths (I doubt many people are old enough to remember what a Woolworth's was). I remember being excited to get a new job at over $2.00 an hour. And those two jobs helped me purchase, and pay cash for, a 1974 Ford Pinto, and be able to afford the insurance.

I don't think anyone wakes up saying "I want to work in fast food", but I honestly think more teenagers would be better off in the future if they would lower themselves to work in a fast food joint for a few months. It motivated me to do better in school, budget my own money, and move on to something better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment