Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:34 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
OH, that's too bad, but as another poster mentioned, it is good to have in case of a medical emergency. I've never had to pay for the coverage before. That's why I found it strange that somebody did.
Perhaps it would be wise to understand what you're advising against, in the event an OP doesn't bother to return after "I would go to the payroll dept and tell them that you did not authorize this money to be deducted and that you were not given the opportunity to decline the coverage. Also, that you want whatever money has been deducted to this point reimbursed."

Disability insurance is a fairly standard deduction. I'd elaborate, but my knee just jerked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwond View Post
I would not drop it at all! who knows what might happen! It helped me out alot!
It helped me too! I broke my foot and could not work for a month and the short-term disability was a lifesaver! I couldn't walk for days, but I got paid for a month while I rehabbed my foot and didn't lose my job!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:47 AM

763 posts, read 2,605,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Perhaps it would be wise to understand what you're advising against, in the event an OP doesn't bother to return after "I would go to the payroll dept and tell them that you did not authorize this money to be deducted and that you were not given the opportunity to decline the coverage. Also, that you want whatever money has been deducted to this point reimbursed."

Disability insurance is a fairly standard deduction. I'd elaborate, but my knee just jerked.
You can jerk your knee all you want, but I've never paid for STD, LTD or life insurance with any employer I've ever been with.

Also, why would they terminate the OP (if that is indeed what you're implying) by telling the HR or Payroll Dept. that he doesn't want to participate in the LTD or STD program?

Old 01-12-2013, 01:15 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Talk to HR, but I would absolutely keep it. My organization did away with short term disability a month or two after I began working. Wouldn't you know, 4 months into the job I needed short term disability at 23 years old. I didn't have it, so I had to work full time through a stage IV cancer diagnosis and treatment. You never know when you're going to need it, and at that price, you'd barely notice it out of your check (but would absolutely notice if you suddenly find yourself unable to work!).

Old 01-12-2013, 01:20 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
You can jerk your knee all you want, but I've never paid for STD, LTD or life insurance with any employer I've ever been with.

Also, why would they terminate the OP (if that is indeed what you're implying) by telling the HR or Payroll Dept. that he doesn't want to participate in the LTD or STD program?
I think it was more the "march down there, accuse them of taking money you did not authorize and demand it back" tone. Maybe it was not how you intended it, but imagine if OP had done just that...would have looked like a royal idiot when the HR person looked at him and said it was a state law....

Old 01-12-2013, 04:16 PM

763 posts, read 2,605,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I think it was more the "march down there, accuse them of taking money you did not authorize and demand it back" tone. Maybe it was not how you intended it, but imagine if OP had done just that...would have looked like a royal idiot when the HR person looked at him and said it was a state law....
That wasn't how I intended it and re-reading my post, I still don't see how it would be interpreted as such.

If the OP didn't know it was a state law, I would understand why he/she would get a little ticked off about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment