Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgauchsin View Post
Entitled. Now that's funny. OP writes a completely self-centered, egotistical, self-entitled, whiny rant because:

1. Customer's get mad for being handed a fistful of change instead of bills.
2. He/She cannot add or subtract without use of a calculator.
3. He/She is irritated when customers calls him/her on an incorrect price.
4. He/She projects his/her anger with management and "company policies" onto the customers.

I do not have any trouble at any of the stores I frequent. I don't complain to corporate, nor to the managers. I just vote with my feet and my money. I guess at your store customers/sheeple should just keep our mouths shut, happily put up with customer nonservice, process through your lines quickly and quietly so that you can close up early and go home because after all

as per company policy.

But I'll let everyone go back to their groupthink.

Nope. Still entitled.

I didn't see anything whiny or egotistical about the OP's post. Working as a cashier (or any other type of Customer Service position) is one of the most under-appreciated jobs a person can take. It's ironic, really, in that from what I read from business journals and other articles, customer service is one of the most important functions of a successful business and yet CSRs make some of the lowest wages in all professions.

From my experience with being a customer: if you treat a sales associate or a cashier with respect, they will return that respect to you. Back when I worked retail, I and everybody else at the store would go the extra mile to help a customer if they are respectful and nice. If they were rude or barked orders at you, not so much.

Also, there is nothing wrong with customers (you don't use an apostrophe for non-possessive plural nouns) getting smaller change. Sometimes, that's all the cashier has. It's really not a big deal.

And finally, back when I was a cashier, no, I would not add or subtract without either the register or a calculator. Yes, I could probably calculate it in my head, but I didn't want to risk having a drawer be over or short, so forgive the cashier for valuing his or her job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 01:06 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Watch "Clerks" even if you have already seen it, it is 1000 times funnier now that you have worked in retail.
LOL@ Jedi Mind Tricks.

That sounds like what it is. I always have to bother the manager because the customer isn't satisfied with what I tell them even though the manager will tell them the EXACT same thing.

You're right, I understand that you have to appear to be positive with customers, but it's quite difficult when you constanly are verbally abused by customers that treat you as if you don't have any education. Funny, how a lot of people in service industries and retail industries are very educated, but they are working these jobs to get by.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Yeah, customers don't realize there's a process to closing down the registers.

Our systems are very much outdated. I was prepared to work with something more up to date that could do a lot on its own, but I don't think I've seen something so primitive before in my life. It definitely looks like something made in 1982.

The customers always telling us to look up their name and number and that isn't going to help anyway because our systems aren't built like that and they always get upset about it.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I've learned that when this situation arises, I sweetly say, "I don't have the authority to do that, but let me call a manager for you and see what they can do." This way, if the manager overrides me, it's because they have the power to. Also, the customer usually calms down since I'm appearing to try to help them (even though I'm secretly wishing that they get a rash in a delicate place).
I remember one time I did that and the customer claimed I had an attitude. lol He was on "edge" since he got there. He was ready to lash out on me since the beginning. They don't like that response.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:39 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
I would remind the OP (whom I assume to be of the female persuasion) and others of like chromosomal (is that a word?) composition that a significant proportion of the "hassles" that male customers give cashiers are often simply poor attempts to engage you in conversation to see if they can make you either laugh or get you to switch out of business mode for a few moments.

In other words, flirtation.

Nothing I like more than jazzing with a female cashier. To me, it's a way to brighten their day and maybe make 'em smile. I've met some really nice ladies that way.

Just a thought.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgauchsin View Post
Entitled. Now that's funny. OP writes a completely self-centered, egotistical, self-entitled, whiny rant because:

1. Customer's get mad for being handed a fistful of change instead of bills.

And as the cashier has no access to the safe and no way of leaving his station when he runs out of change, and has already asked the manager for assistance with change, yes it is an issue.

2. He/She cannot add or subtract without use of a calculator.

So?
Can you fix your car without a mechanic? Build a house without a contractor? Perform surgery without a dr? So what if he needs a calculator so he makes sure he gives correct change? You are the type who would complain if he gave you the wrong change, if he did this without one, you would be saying he should use a calculator.

3. He/She is irritated when customers calls him/her on an incorrect price.

Repeatedly, over the same item and even when the item is not priced incorrectly. Re-read the OP's post.

4. He/She projects his/her anger with management and "company policies" onto the customers.

I do not have any trouble at any of the stores I frequent. I don't complain to corporate, nor to the managers. I just vote with my feet and my money.

Yes, and think back to the last time you were given REALLY bad customer service and ask yourself if it was intentional. Bet it was. Stores all the time give really bad service to get you to do just that, vote with your feet. The 20 minutes pleaseing you for your $10 purchase is better spent of 4 customers for 5 minutes each who each spend $5.

I guess at your store customers/sheeple should just keep our mouths shut, happily put up with customer nonservice, process through your lines quickly and quietly so that you can close up early and go home because after all

as per company policy.

But I'll let everyone go back to their groupthink.

You are the problem, but it is funny to watch. Especially as I know just how often your food is spit into, your glass and utensils are licked, and you are given bad customer service intentionally. You may be abusing the poor OP here, but you are the laughingstock of the stores you frequent.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:49 PM

155 posts, read 347,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Nope. Still entitled.

I didn't see anything whiny or egotistical about the OP's post.
I guess we disagree. Argumentum ad populum won't change my mind.

Quote:
Working as a cashier (or any other type of Customer Service position) is one of the most under-appreciated jobs a person can take. It's ironic, really, in that from what I read from business journals and other articles, customer service is one of the most important functions of a successful business and yet CSRs make some of the lowest wages in all professions.
Yep, it is ironic. Part of the problem may be if the wages were raised, better qualified people would apply for the position and maybe some of the problems the OP stated would go away - but I would venture to say that the OP would be out of a job as a result.

Quote:
From my experience with being a customer: if you treat a sales associate or a cashier with respect, they will return that respect to you. Back when I worked retail, I and everybody else at the store would go the extra mile to help a customer if they are respectful and nice. If they were rude or barked orders at you, not so much.
This appears where we disagree again. Why is the onus on the customer to have an enjoyable shopping experience?

In between this post and the last post, the family and I went to the mall. Our purpose was to visit one of the department stores. I won't name names, but this company has been struggling over the last year. Child #3 was having some pictures taken, child #2 needed some clothes, and I wanted to look at some jewelry.

As soon as we walked in the door, we were greeted by a lady standing at the customer service desk, "Good morning, welcome to ...." and a smile and "Good Morning" was returned. We went to the photo studio and was once again greeted with a warm welcome. We had a 10:00 appointment and arrived shortly before 10. The photographer was attentive, professional, and immediately started taking pictures - right on time.

Afterwards, we went over to the jewelry section - all three kids in tow. Immediately, the lady - smiling and very friendly - behind the counter asked us if we wanted to look at anything. The oldest wanted to look at some earings and I wanted to look at some rings. She obliged both of us without hassle.

Now contrast that to the last time I visited one of those "Superstores" - you know the ones that pop up about every 3 square miles. We park the car and walk to the entrance, dodging the three - yes three - beggars along the way; and we were not even in the bad part of town. While we are in the store, not one employee asks us if we need help. Nor, do we even get a, "Good Morning." No, we have to dodge the employee with a fork lift dolly moving a pallet down the aisle at warp speed - without so much as an "excuse me or sorry."

So we are off the baby formula aisle. When we get there, all the formula is under lock and key. Now we have to find someone to open up the cabinet. Cue: crickets - not a soul to be found. We finally find someone who informs us: "Oh that's not my department. Go ahead and wait by the cabinet, I'll get someone who will be by shortly." Cue: crickets, once again. Twenty minutes later - still no one has come by. We track down the same person we spoke to earlier, his response, "Oh sorry, I was busy. I'll go track someone down now."

Five minutes later, someone shows up with a key and asks us which formula we want. We tell her. She opens the cabinet and tells us, "When you get to the cashier tell them you have formula waiting for you at checkout 18." My response, "You're kidding, you can't let me have it?" Employee's response, "No, company policy. I don't want to get fired."

So now it's off to the checkouts. Four checkouts are open and every one of them has a line going into the clothing department. Checkout 18 has the longest line. The shortest is at checkout 4 which is the line we take. And so we wait, and wait. This cashier has got to be the slowest one of the bunch. I've watched paint dry faster. Oops, I'm wrong. They are all moving at the same slow pace.

A half-hour later - yes, a half-hour later. It is finally our turn. I tell the cashier, "There is ... formula at checkout 18 for us. She rolls her eyes and meanders down to checkout 18. Fortunately, we miraculously get through the rest of the transaction without one price mistake.

I walk to the door pushing our basket. As I approach the door, a gentleman there says, "Can I see your receipt?" My response, "No thank you." He attempts to chase after me, "I need to see your receipt." My response, "Sir, you've wasted enough of my time today" as I keep pushing the cart along. He relents.

Now to fight the parking lot. As I push my cart to my car, a man sitting on his bumper with the trunk open asks me if I would like to buy some tamales. "No thank you." is my reply. "Well how about some baby formula for your kid?" Now that's ironic. They lock up the formula because people steal it to sell it to people who don't want to wait for someone to unlock the cabinet. And round and round it goes. I chuckle and shake my head, "No thank you" as I keep walking.

All this hassle for the privileged of visiting their fine establishment.

This is the reason when my significant other asks me, "Hey would you like to go to the ... Superstore?" I tell my significant other, "I'd rather have a root canal. Let's go to ... instead." My guess is the OP works at a place more like the superstore rather than a department store.

Quote:
Also, there is nothing wrong with customers getting smaller change. Sometimes, that's all the cashier has. It's really not a big deal.
Apparently it was to the OP's customer.

Quote:
(you don't use an apostrophe for non-possessive plural nouns)
Fingers ahead of brain. BTW, what is this an English class? No, it's a public forum. I'm not writing a thesis. If there are any other grammatical errors in this post, consider it a first draft.

Quote:
And finally, back when I was a cashier, no, I would not add or subtract without either the register or a calculator. Yes, I could probably calculate it in my head, but I didn't want to risk having a drawer be over or short, so forgive the cashier for valuing his or her job.
But would you complain about the self-centered customer who made you use a calculator?

In the end, I believe it is more of a problem with management than with the cashiers or customers. Maybe it's the pay, maybe it's how they treat their employees. Either way, it doesn't matter. I vote with my money and my feet. I do not patronize the "Superstore" any more and will pay a little extra because of it.

If that makes you think I'm entitled. I disagree but you are also entitled to your opinion as well.

Last edited by tgauchsin; 01-21-2013 at 03:03 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Nope. Still entitled.

I noticed that too.

I didn't see anything whiny or egotistical about the OP's post. Working as a cashier (or any other type of Customer Service position) is one of the most under-appreciated jobs a person can take. It's ironic, really, in that from what I read from business journals and other articles, customer service is one of the most important functions of a successful business and yet CSRs make some of the lowest wages in all professions.

It is ironic, but the truth.

Exactly. And when I know I have an issue that is going to be somewhat difficult, I ALWAYS apologize upfront and let the person know I am aware it is not their fault the item I ordered arrived broken 3 times. I also apologize if I know I am going to be difficult. They always tell me I am by no means the worst they have ever had.

And, the little secret...as a retail employee, if I make you mad and my boss hears about it, I will have to explain it. Maybe. If I make a customer service exception, this is also something that I am going to have to explain. So, if you are already yelling, they boss may hear baout them anyway, may as well let the customer and the associate both leave unhappy. If you are nice, there just may be a way to get you the discount, or to ring up the coupon for you. If you are a jerk, I am all of a sudden unable to htink of a single thing I can do to help.

Also, there is nothing wrong with customers (you don't use an apostrophe for non-possessive plural nouns) getting smaller change. Sometimes, that's all the cashier has. It's really not a big deal.

Apparently it is. POssibly because it is harder to count all those shiny things that roll away when dropped.

Yeah...you get rushed, you over or short a dollar, and now you are written up.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
LOL@ Jedi Mind Tricks.

That sounds like what it is. I always have to bother the manager because the customer isn't satisfied with what I tell them even though the manager will tell them the EXACT same thing.

You're right, I understand that you have to appear to be positive with customers, but it's quite difficult when you constanly are verbally abused by customers that treat you as if you don't have any education. Funny, how a lot of people in service industries and retail industries are very educated, but they are working these jobs to get by.
If you start thinking of them this way, the next time someone tries it, all of a sudden it is funny.

As I mentioned, I worked in retail while finishing up my MBA...got treated as if I had no education by customers all the time, little did they know that I was likely as educated, if not more, than many of them.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 PM

155 posts, read 347,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
You are the problem, but it is funny to watch. Especially as I know just how often your food is spit into, your glass and utensils are licked, and you are given bad customer service intentionally. You may be abusing the poor OP here, but you are the laughingstock of the stores you frequent.
You live in your dream world bunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment