Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,052,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Count what you do have, not what you do not have. Who knows what the future will bring to you, your "successful" friends, or anyone for that matter. It's great you have goals and strive to reach your potential. But don't lose sight of what you've achieved thus far. Use their success as a motivator, not a measure of who you are.

Do you have good health? A loving, supportive family? A positive attitude? So many things measure into success. Be happy with who you are.

OK Tony Robbins.

I agree with you, but sometimes it's easier said than done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,428,106 times
From time to time in our lives, I think we all do this with our peers, friends and family when we know what each other's salary is. Your friends' paths in life are probably quite different from yours, it is like comparing apples to oranges.

Don't compare yourself to others, it just is not a good frame of mind. You need to focus on improving yourself to make more money. This type of thinking is similar to "keeping up with the Joneses." Just let it go and you should feel a little better.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,609,011 times
Quote:
Count what you do have, not what you do not have. Who knows what the future will bring to you, your "successful" friends, or anyone for that matter. It's great you have goals and strive to reach your potential. But don't lose sight of what you've achieved thus far. Use their success as a motivator, not a measure of who you are.

Do you have good health? A loving, supportive family? A positive attitude? So many things measure into success. Be happy with who you are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
OK Tony Robbins.

I agree with you, but sometimes it's easier said than done.
Yes, it is easier said than done. But whenever I feel like I should be doing more with my life, or should have accomplished more when compared with friends, I step back and count what I do have.

BTW, didn't know who Tony Robbins was. Googled to find out. I've been called worse.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,052,400 times
Quote:
Yes, it is easier said than done. But whenever I feel like I should be doing more with my life, or should have accomplished more when compared with friends, I step back and count what I do have.

BTW, didn't know who Tony Robbins was. Googled to find out. I've been called worse.
He's a clown who rips people off with self help BS, but I was just kidding. I agree with you 100%.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,768,131 times
Eh, been there, done that. Especially 5 years ago when i was making less than half of what some of my friends were making.

I won't say you shouldn't use the feelings you have as some motivation to make more, but whatever you do, don't let how much money you make define you.

If you want to live up to your potential you say you have, get more education, look for a different job, maybe take a risk, or just learn new skills and apply them to your current job. All are recipes for making more money AND happiness.

And FWIW, I'm finally making the money I want, in a field I truely enjoy, but I still feel like I'm not living up to my potential. Who knows WTF I'm looking for.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM

29,850 posts, read 24,953,870 times
First question... How do you know they are making 6 figs? Did they show you pay stubs? Plenty of people lie about their income.

Me? I don't make 6 figures. Personally, I wouldn't know what to do with that kind of money. I've never had trouble finding work, I've never had financial problems, there's always food in the fridge and I'm warm at night. To me, that's something to be grateful for. I also don't have to work like a dog like many higher income earners do. After taxes take their bite, they aren't really doing all that much better than me. Many of them also flaunt their wealth while I put mine in investment vehicles. I can make money by doing basically nothing

Learn to appreciate what you have instead of being envious over what you lack. Want is only a state of mind. Need is another matter entirely, and should be the primary focus. Never confuse the two.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Maybe I'm starting to have an early mini mid-life-crisis or something, but I've been feeling so unsuccessful lately. So many of my friends are at the 6 figure mark already, and I feel like a loser because I'm not.
?
This is your problem right here.
Get over this right here...and you will find new happiness in life.
Your happiness or satisfaction in life cannot and should not have anything to do with what your friends do and don't do...especially in a material way.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:12 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,276,443 times
Me and my gf make less than 50k combined. We live a good life by being frugal. Making 6 figures would be nice, but hardly do I feel inadequate. Man up.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:18 AM

4,243 posts, read 4,757,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
southkakkatlantan, your potential is just that, you're potential. If you meet it, you have a new potential. 10-years ago, where did you think you would be at 33?
Actually, I guess that's a big part of the problem. For years I think I actually had no real vision of myself or where I wanted to be. How I wanted to live, or even what I wanted to accomplish. I just kinda drifted through my 20s and so here I am.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 AM

4,243 posts, read 4,757,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
I can relate as I'm going through it right now Not looking for 6 figures although that would be nice, I work in IT and all my co-workers are higher paid than msyelf. Even though we all perform the same job duties. Granted there are a few co-workers with more experience than others, but others know next to nothing and still make bank. My budget is tight but I am able to make it with the assistance my credit card....which I hate. Mind you this is just basic priorities such as rent, gas, car note, student loans, food, phone, etc. Even a small feat as 10K more would help out tremendously.......Until that time I'll just keep advancing my skill set and applying to other jobs.
To me, a raise of $10K is more than a small feat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment